How much brake fluid is needed..?

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all - I have just received a new brake line kit, front and rear... and only one bottle of universal brake/clutch fluid [500ml]. :spank:

Is one 500ml bottle of fluid enough for both front and rear lines..? I am now thinking it may not be enough to complete the job.

I guess the guys that have already done this, would know...? How much DOT 4 brake fluid is required for a complete front/rear brake line change..?

Sorry in advance... I feel like a real dumb ass, I should ordered two bottles and not one.

TIA, cheers..

vj

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just nipped out to the garage to check and my bottle was 500ml too and that was enough to do front and back. Front was two lines from master cylinder to each front brake so the worst case (i.e more than one long hose down and a little bit over the top of the tyre like the original brake hoses).

From the weight there's probably 100ml left in the bottom of the bottle.

So you should be fine. Don't worry if it it takes ages to get any pressure on the lever. It does come eventually but you might need to go and have a cuppa and a biscuit at half time :thumbup:

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
So you should be fine. Don't worry if it it takes ages to get any pressure on the lever. It does come eventually but you might need to go and have a cuppa and a biscuit at half time :thumbup:

if you put the bike on side stand, turn the handlebar completely to the left (as you ride) and do quick and small pressure clicks on the brake lever it might take a little less time to build pressure on the lever. just pull the lever a little and not all the way in.

something like clickclickclickclickclickclick as a noob i was strugling with this for ages until someone told me and it took like 40 seconds :Flash:

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweeet..!! So I did do good :)

Thanks huxy / tomari - I was not planning on changing my brake lines this weekend to be honest... I changed my Coolant/anti-freeze yesterday, which was fun and games... On my second rad flush, I forgot to pop my radiator cap back on [as you do(!)]...started the engine and went for a bite to eat. Lucky I was only in the kitchen... cause a short while after me starting the engine...i heard a splashing noise coming from the back garden, and thought WTF is that.. ran out to see a hot spring effect coming from my rap cap - blimey :rolleyes:

I have lots to do on my FZ6 - i noticed my right fork is also bleeding fluid, so thats another job to tackle asap - new fork seals/bushed...? - Man i like my bike, but maintenance can be a tuff... I may upgrade my front springs whilst replacing my fork seals/bushed...

Thanks again chaps, cheers... vj