How to lower a 2005 FZ6?

stefanbob1

Reaction score
Visit site
My girlfriend just purchased a 2005 FZ6. We are looking for ways to lower it about an inch. She is 5' 1" and on her tiptoes. Aside from shaving the seat, what are our options with this bike?

FZSizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
6epaseru.jpg

This is a pic from a different thread and they got it from overseas but can't seem to get in touch with or find the original shop that sold it. I have the same problem on my 06 and best option I have found is to shave the seat. I have looked into pricing and plan on just doing that for now. Btw if you happen to find this or any other "low profile" seat pleas let me know! Thanks! Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't done it myself but I searched for lower+seat and came up with these finds, you'll have to filter through a few of the threads, but hope you can find something helpful :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My girlfriend just purchased a 2005 FZ6. We are looking for ways to lower it about an inch. She is 5' 1" and on her tiptoes. Aside from shaving the seat, what are our options with this bike?

On the front you slide the forks stanchion tubes up the triple clamp.
On the rear you modify the stock shock at the mounting eyelet. It can be modified to lower the bike with minimal cost using the stock spring and shock.
There are two options. 1) buy a precut part that is shorter. 2) cut it off yourself and tap the the threads in the hole deeper. Both options require the shock be removed and disassembled. So either take the shock to a shop with a spring compressor or rent the tool. THIS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS THO!!!!

The shock at the bottom of the picture is an OEM FZ6 shock. On the left side is the bottom mount eyelet. By shortening the aluminum section between the eyelet and the spring area and re-assembling the shock - it drops the bike. Mind you an 0.5" at the shock would like be 1.25" +++ inches to the seat height.
SSC_566WEB_zpsa36766d1.jpg

It doesn't change the travel or spring rate. It just drops the bike. The spring must be removed and the aluminum end can be unscrewed from the shocks end.

I didn't following the link above, but this gives you an idea. It works and its effective.
** You want to be careful changing the bikes ride height as it will affect its handling, stability at speed, and turn-in. So its essential to maintain an EQUAL balance drop-wise front to rear.

Have her get on the bike and measure from the rear grab bar to ground and from something on the fairing to ground. Save these values so you can refer to them and drop both ends equally when adjusting the suspension.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also the bike will be less aggressive in turns because there will be less peg clearance once lowered.