Yamaha fz6 unable to go into 6th

ZAlias

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2005 Yamaha fz6 and am overall happy with the bike. I noticed the other day when I was in the highway that I couldn’t get it to go into 6th gear. It had the feel of if you were to try to downshift from first.
Tried to pull the shift up when in 5th and it was solid no movement in the shifter as far as I’m aware it’s a 6 speed, atleast that what it has engraved onto the transmission cover. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it is a 6 speed transmission.

I'd first put it on the center stand and then (engine off), shifting thru the gears (no clutch) gently turning the rear wheel forward. If working properly, you should have first gear down, then neutral and the rest (5) by pulling up.

If you have stock gearing, at 4,000 RPM, in 6th, should be about 48 MPH...

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Yes.

I would also add that you should disconnect the shift linkage and run the shifter arm mannually, this way you can eliminate the possibility that the linkage is/isn't the issue. You may have a bent shift linkage which is creating a threshold issue.

If you are unable to engage 6th gear manually, the issue likely lies within the transmission. Likely the pins on the shift forks are bent and are binding on the grooves in the shift drum.