How to: Replacing rear brake seals and fluid

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
You get it back together OK?

Interesting job. Reminds me of when, 1970's, I rebuilt my Ford Pinto's front calipers. So far, I discovered sediment/crud on the bottom of fluid reservoir, and in bottom of piston cylinder. Some burnishing on piston surface. I wish I had pre-ordered pads, probably throw back on old ones for now. Polished up piston, cleaned up with Brakleen caliper parts (protected any rubber on caliper), and tomorrow will reassemble (have new seals) and lubricate with brake fluid. I guess I'll lightly apply some brake grease to pivot points. Will update upon final assembly. Hoping that this op will cure my pad dragging. I say, "likely" since it's first service in about 40K miles.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting job. Reminds me of when, 1970's, I rebuilt my Ford Pinto's front calipers. So far, I discovered sediment/crud on the bottom of fluid reservoir, and in bottom of piston cylinder. Some burnishing on piston surface. I wish I had pre-ordered pads, probably throw back on old ones for now. Polished up piston, cleaned up with Brakleen caliper parts (protected any rubber on caliper), and tomorrow will reassemble (have new seals) and lubricate with brake fluid. I guess I'll lightly apply some brake grease to pivot points. Will update upon final assembly. Hoping that this op will cure my pad dragging. I say, "likely" since it's first service in about 40K miles.

If you didn't replace those seals (their cheap enough), I would highly recommend it. The rubber simply hardens up and will not retract the piston(s). (of course, all the crud in there doesn't help).

But if the seals are, IME, over 4-5 years old, their going to drag again, might be now or in 6 months, but you'll have issues again.

I experianced this after cleaning ((and it was VERY clean)) and leaving in the seals.

About 9 months later my ft, S2 brakes dragging again. Since the new seals were installed(bout 2.5 years ago), to date, I get about 4.5 "free spins" by hand) on the ft wheel, before, .5-.75 turns...

miso11

Reaction score
Visit site
Stupid question. Can I push back the pistons without opening bleed port ? Is there some damage to master cylinder when pushing pistons when bleed port is closed ? When I was cleaning front and rear calipers I pulled pistons a bit to clean them. And somebody told me when I pushing the pistons back, bleed port must be opened otherwise MC could be damaged. Is that true ? Thanks.