How To Tie Down in Uhaul Truck

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I am moving from MA to VT at the end of the month. I'll be loading up a 15' or 17' Uhaul for the trip. Depending on how much room is left, I am planning on putting my fazer in the back. Or, put it in first, and work around it.

Does anyone have experience doing this, and/or could you give some advice on what parts of the bike I should be tying to?

Worse case, there is no room, and I will just make a separate trip back down with the wife to grab the bike. It would be a nice ride :)

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
You may not need a chock, but I secure my bike with a chock. Wrap a strap around the lower triple and run to tie down points in the truck's box. Tighten the strap, but not so much that you completely run out of suspension travel or you'll blow your fork seals.

Run another strap through the rear passenger peg supports and tighten. Doesn't need to be as tight since this is just to keep the rear of the bike from sliding back and forth.

May make working around the straps difficult, but not impossible. Make sure nothing can fall on the bike. :)

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to do the same thing a few months ago, shouldnt matter where on the truck as long as your even with the pressure from the straps.

I did one strap wrapped around the center of the handle bars down about 25% of full compression. I took my seat off and ran the strap under it, across the bike so it would not damage the upholstery and same thing 25% shock compress and you will be fine.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to scroll through this thread.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/2445-loading-bike-into-tuck-trailer.html

You can purchase some crank straps at Home Depot, they come in a set of four or six so it should be enough to get the job done. I suggest your bike goes in last. And becareful loading it onto the truck. If you ride it up the ramp, don't forget to duck! Not recommended as there are plenty of fail videos. It's always a good idea to check on your bike and see if the strap has loosened up a bit after 15-30 minutes of driving, even though your commute will be relatively short. I think U-haul also rents trailers for motorcycles in case you run out of room.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Ratchet straps, buy a couple. Three at the least, four if you're looking for extra insurance.

Uhauls have various hooks to latch things on, so you're good here. Run two straps up to the handlebars and attach them. When doing the handles, have somebody compress the front forks a bit by pushing down and tighten it. Don't overdo it, since you need some travel left for the suspension in case of a bump - but it'll help hold it tight.

For the remaining straps, I tend to wrap them around the front and rear wheels before securing them elsewhere. Hope this helps!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's a silly question, but please take pics on what your final product before you haul.
It might be helpful for me, next year.
Thanks.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you can also rent an open bike trailer (only $15), or a small covered one (just don't say you'll put a bike in there), and hook it up to the truck. It has all the hooks you need, and you can put some extra stuff in the trailer as well.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you asked (presumably) about a closed trailer but this is how I secure mine. Some have mentioned not compressing the forks too much, I have done 8 or 10 journeys of around 1,000 miles each like this, pulled the front end down as hard as possible each time and never had a seal problem. It is disconcerting looking in the mirror and seeing the bike bouncing about, which it will if you don't secure it.

The rear wheel strap is something I added later after someone mentioned that the rear end could lift under really hard braking.