Huge Difference

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to get rid of some of the harsh handlebar vibrations so I searched the forum and found different methods to do this.

There first method I tried was Grip Puppies because it was the cheapest, It worked fantastically! My problem with them was their large size which at times had me stay on throttle when I would slow down which was a little dangerous and sometimes startled me a little. I got rid of the Puppies even though they really did absorb the vibes.

Second attempt to remove the bad vibes were new gel grips, easy to do very soft and they do a absorb a lot of vibes at a great price. Throttle response was great! I'm keeping them.

Third attempt was something a friend told me about that he read on a forum. It was diving weight poured into the handlebars. I heard of other methods like the bar snake, sand, even poured in lead. I hadn't heard of bags of diving weight yet. So I went to a general sporting goods store that sold some diving equipment and bought a 5lb. bag (which was to much 3lb or 4lb would of been plenty) of diving weight. It's actually a nylon sewn bag full of the smallest ball bearing I've ever seen.

You unscrew the bar ends and pour these ball bearings into each side one end at a time. My friend to do this then ride some and they will settle then fill the bars some more but I did this and I still couldn't add any more.

It worked GREAT!!! When I would cover the brake with my right hand the vibes from the brake lever would numb my fingers, guess what not a problem anymore, there are still vibes but with the grips and bar fill I say I reduced them by 60% to 70%.

I would definitely recommend this mod for everyone, the bag of diving weight cost $25 and took 10 minutes to do, you will need a funnel I just made a funnel out of a piece of paper.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks very much for this. I had given up find lead shot in the UK as everyone in the US seems to do as we're not gun mad here. Fishing weights cost too much, but a very quick search for diving weights has found me some great deals on lead shot! :thumbup: I can pour the sand out of my bars now and put some nice heavy lead in them instead soon. Thanks again. :rockon:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats good info, i use bar snake with stock pipes and over 1 hour, the vibs still make my hand go numb. Maybe ill try this with my new bar.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Another alternative I've heard of is filling the bars with silicon, just squirt it in and let it set. I thought you guys in the UK went fox hunting and such :confused:
From what I've read about other people trying it, silicone only dries in the air and will always be liquid in the middle of the bars and not work properly.

I don't do the fox-hunting malarky. It's either banned now or very rare anyway. Plus they don't really use shotguns.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, did not know that. For living in the US I know very little about guns. When I was younger I thought people used rifles for shooting clay pigeons, which is why so many missed. And now I find out they don't use shotguns for fox-hunting:eek:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Here dressing well, plenty of money and a good pickup line is the most effecient method of 'fox' hunting.
Oh wait you meant the animal?

Has anyone tried heavier bar ends rather than such a huge fuss with filling the bars? I had a set made for my last bike and they helped alot. Also only cost me $15 (was good friends with my local mechanic). I've often heard that alot of people don't realise how important having weight in them can be for balance and vibrations.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Erci did here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18575-renthal-handlebar-hvmp-bar-ends-oury-grips.html

I'm planning on getting some of those bar ends when I switch my bar. They don't make Yamaha threaded ones though.

Ohhh interesting, I might have to bookmark that for future reference!
My local mechanic who I've been going to for a few years had to close during the recession, so unfortunately I lost the most reliable mechanic in a very large area, and can't get some made especially for me anymore.