I am looking for a "modest" exhaust

Vespacruzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently added a 2006 FZ6 to the garage along with my V-star, which was my first. Until now, I have never been able to ride to work as I leave the house around 4:30am and a V-twin roaring up the driveway would certainly inspire the neighbors to call the police. The volume, or lack there of, the FZ6 is perfect for sneaking away, however coming off the straight piped V-twin, feel a bit vulnerable and that cars are less likely to notice me. I would like to upgrade to a new exhaust to increase the volume and rid the bike of the sewing machine tone, however I am extremely worried I will drop hundreds of dollars and end up not using the exhaust because it is to loud. Basically, I am looking for the fine line between quiet and obnoxious. Can anyone recommend something that will fit my needs? I already have plans to add 2 additional lights to the bike to help improve my visibility, I would love to hear what others are doing as well.

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed one of the three baffles in the OEM muffler in my 05 S1 FZ6. It's quiet enough to start inside my garage and ride off quietly without bugging my neighbours. It now has a raspy bark above 7,000rpm and gets quite loud above 9,000rpm. I posted a link to a youtube video on here about two weeks ago which described it well. I didn't cut out as much in the video or modify the tail pipes. I was also concerned that Leo Vince system, even with db killers in place would be too loud and I would start having problems with my neighbours. I regularly get called to work in the middle of the night. My muffler chop seems to be a good compromise.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently added a 2006 FZ6 to the garage along with my V-star, which was my first. Until now, I have never been able to ride to work as I leave the house around 4:30am and a V-twin roaring up the driveway would certainly inspire the neighbors to call the police. The volume, or lack there of, the FZ6 is perfect for sneaking away, however coming off the straight piped V-twin, feel a bit vulnerable and that cars are less likely to notice me. I would like to upgrade to a new exhaust to increase the volume and rid the bike of the sewing machine tone, however I am extremely worried I will drop hundreds of dollars and end up not using the exhaust because it is to loud. Basically, I am looking for the fine line between quiet and obnoxious. Can anyone recommend something that will fit my needs? I already have plans to add 2 additional lights to the bike to help improve my visibility, I would love to hear what others are doing as well.

I feel exactly the same way. I don't need any sort of perf. boost, and I like being, audio-wise, a bit more unobtrusive... except it's a bit _too_ unobtrusive, it'd be nice to get a little bit more of a 'snarl' at higher revs. Vespacruzer, let me know what you do. IanHoots' seems like a good compromise, though once cut/drilled, you can't go back.

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel exactly the same way. I don't need any sort of perf. boost, and I like being, audio-wise, a bit more unobtrusive... except it's a bit _too_ unobtrusive, it'd be nice to get a little bit more of a 'snarl' at higher revs. Vespacruzer, let me know what you do. IanHoots' seems like a good compromise, though once cut/drilled, you can't go back.

Yes, I was worried about getting my bike to pass a roadworthy if I ever want to sell it. I've seen plenty of wrecked FZ6 standard mufflers for between $150-$200 in good condition. That said, the removal of 1 baffle would not attract any attention when compared with some of the sport bike and Harley exhausts that I hear in my area.

Just on a side note, drilling the baffles is a popular way of getting more noise. This method effectively bypasses all the baffling, and depends on the size of the hole you drill to make the noise. I thought this was a butchers way of doing it, that's why I cut the muffler open and did a bit of surgery with a plasma cutter. It seemed a bit less brutal.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the other posters I think a slightly gutted stock exhaust would get you the volume you want. Definitely don't get a cheaper exhaust like a Dan Moto or Dominator. Those basically have nothing to them. They're just a can to direct your exhaust fumes. Haha. Only other exhaust that I've heard in person is a Scorpion. It really wasn't that loud in my opinion. So that could work too. Just lug the engine and coast to stops when needed. Quiet as a mouse! Personally I don't like the sound clips of gutted stock exhausts that I hear on YT. Just sounds like blowing through a pop can to me. There have been a few gutted exhausts on here for not much more than a stock stock exhaust if you wanted to go that route but didn't want to do the work... good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vespacruzer

Reaction score
Visit site
After much research, I decided against drilling out the exhaust. I was between a Leo Vince and Scorpion, ended up ordering the Scorpion. I watched every video Youtube had to offer of the two exhaust, even though I know they will of course be different in person. Pipes should be in tomorrow. Worst case scenario, they go on the classifieds and eBay if they are too loud.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with your purchase. I hope the pipes work out for you.

I'm the third owner of my bike. One of the previous owners gutted or partially gutted the muffler. Whatever they did worked very well for tone and volume. I probably would have bought pipes too, rather than risk the surgery.

Chris

Vespacruzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding with the Scorpions for a week now and have done a lot of experimenting. With baffles out, the thing is way to loud, even for my young ears. With both baffles in, it might honestly be quieter than stock, just a hint deeper, but gets louder over 6k. Stuck between being to loud and still to quiet, I took a dremmel to one of the baffles and removed the bottle cap sized plate at the end. Easy job as it was only tack welded in 3 places. I find this perfect for going to work in the morning and relaxing rides. On the weekends, I simply pull the modded baffle and run one side open for a deeper and louder sound, yet not as loud as both sides wide open. I am happy with the purchase.