I got a diesel...

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
...Jeep.

Unfortunately, I just can't have the FZ6 as a sole vehicle and for the past 4 years I have had a pickup truck and a car: The truck was to tow my motorcycle trailer and the car for daily driving/good MPG. Having multiple vehicles is expensive and can be a pain. After months of searching, I finally found a vehicle that can tow 5000lbs and get 30mpg:

not sure how i feel about the rims yet

50/50 highway/city

(We'll see what my hand calculations yield)

My last haul with my old truck:

The funny thing is this Jeep puts out approx 360lb-ft of torque and it HAULS (not FZ6 fast, but quick for a SUV) and gets better MPG than my car!

I put a lot of coin in my pocket by eliminating 2 vehicles. Like the FZ6, IMO, this is an extremely versatile and practical vehicle while leaving a big grin on my face everytime i get behind the wheel.

Just thought I'd share since the ol' lady is tired of hearing about it :D

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool stuff! Didn't realize jeep made diesels since WWI lol.

Rims- look nice but because of this I'd be hesitant taking it anywhere they might get scratched ;) depends what your doing

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Liberty's are awesome! I dated a girl about 4years ago that had one....rallyed the piss outta that thing in the snow!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Diesel is still 50 cents/ gal more than regular here. Starts to cut into those mpgs but that is pretty awesome mpgs. The only reason I would not buy an suv is I gotta have a bed! I wish a manufacturer would build a compact pickup as a diesel.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a Chrysler fan. The 4.0l jeep motors are bullet proof. Since you went diesel But I hope it serves you well.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the previous owner put on Dick Cepek wheels.

Even though diesel is slightly more expensive, overall, it still cheaper than my car (avg. 21mpg) and definitely better than my truck (13mpg). Not to mention I got to drop insurance down to just one car :)

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Neat - I used to work for the company that *loosely using the term* makes those, doing sourcing/supply chain. You'd be amazed how much having a name can drive up the price in that industry. They're the same Chinese rims that sell for 1/2 to 1/3rd the price through Summit, but because they have the MT or DC name on them, people shell out the big bucks. Even the engineering was done in China - all we had stateside was a guy who knew wheel spec/sizes and had an eye for that kind of stuff. FEAs, structural testing etc was all done by the vendors.

That said, they're great wheels, especially if you didn't have to pay for them.

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
You Ameicans qnd your petrol, I've always driven diesels and my current cage bmw 530 xd 231 bhp can run circles around most petrol cars, drives like a charm and I get 32 combined and 40 noncity driving about 23 pure urban. Dare I mntion it is quite bigger that that jeep, go european cars ditch those American boxes (don't murder me but that's my honest to god opinion). I had a 2006 VW Passat 2.0 tdi before the beamer and it was even more economical 36 combined and 45 extraurban.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
You Ameicans qnd your petrol, I've always driven diesels and my current cage bmw 530 xd 231 bhp can run circles around most petrol cars, drives like a charm and I get 32 combined and 40 noncity driving about 23 pure urban. Dare I mntion it is quite bigger that that jeep, go european cars ditch those American boxes (don't murder me but that's my honest to god opinion). I had a 2006 VW Passat 2.0 tdi before the beamer and it was even more economical 36 combined and 45 extraurban.

Oh yeah? Well I see your diesel and raise you a GEO METRO!!!! Bahahaha.

Ford is doing big things with ecoboost now days. Turbos are the way of the future

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
A mate got a Ford Mondeo eco boost and that thing does not leave the shop, the idea behind the technology is nice but too early stage to be any kind of good :D also no petrol can pull as much torque as a diesel my cage 500 Nm of torque driving uphill or downhill play only mpg difference cars drives almost the same ;) but **** it would prefer my fz6 over it any time of day

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 BMW 320d 6 speed manual. The manual box is a pain, my next diesel will be auto.

This is not my trailer, this pic is a couple of years old but I can do the trip to Cape Town, pretty much a thousand miles, on 2 x 60 litre tanks. Great economy and torque and such a comfortable ride.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
ill take your sedans/suvs and raise you a wagon:

1992 Volvo 240 - 30mpg 4cyl (gasoline)

seats 7, hauls tons of crap, no maintenance, RWD, pulls up to 2300lbs (2 bikes and a trailer anyway)

not a fast car but i own a motorcycle.... derr.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
ill take your sedans/suvs and raise you a wagon:

1992 Volvo 240 - 30mpg 4cyl (gasoline)

seats 7, hauls tons of crap, no maintenance, RWD, pulls up to 2300lbs (2 bikes and a trailer anyway)

not a fast car but i own a motorcycle.... derr.

No maintenance eh? Must be that Volvo special cleaning oil ;) derr

LOW maintenance may be the word

Kidding.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I had an E46 330d before, now have an old subaru legacy with ej22 engine. Torque/mpg while was nice, is not everything. I wouldn't go back to any beemer after a subaru. You wouldn't believe what sort of abuse that legacy been through and how it drives in 20inch snow on worn out winter tires or how suspension is unkillable and how everything (including full electric package) just fcuking works even though it's 19 years old.