I have to keep telling myself its not a 600

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll keep posting in this thread, but just won't entertain the troll..

FZ09, I do speed, and I'm not saying I ride 30 in a 30 zone.(btw my post wasn't directed at you so don't be worried, I wasn't trying to mind your business:thumbup:) What I said was I don't redline my bike in town, because I'd be doing 65 and over double the speed limit. I love speed(hence having a bike), but I have learnt from the other 5 riders in my immediate family to not be an idiot.

So, just to clarify what I've said in my last few posts.. respect others by keeping it tame around town(no, you don't have to stay 1 under the speed limit, just use some common sense and be in control), and feel free to let er go out where it's safe to do so.

Touché my friend. Just remember that the man is everywhere. Even in personal vehicles and they will feel the urge to chase you down or call their buddies.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy to see this thread back on track. :D :thumbup:

To everyone out there, I'd like to apologize. I had no idea the can of worms I was opening up by asking what I thought was a simple question. The FZ6 is the first bike I've owned with such a high redline (previous bikes were all twins or one-lungers) so it kinda goes against my nature to get up to that territory, plus I tend to ride fairly conservatively anyways. (Yes, I'm a grandpa) Everyone has their own style of riding and just cuz others don't ride the way you do doesn't make them or you right or wrong. We're just different. Enjoy and keep the shiny side up.....

No need to apologize for a perfectly good question. I've only found myself at the red line once or twice, and in 2nd on a stretch of road I know. That's already plenty fast for me. I normally cruise around 5000-6000 RPMs, and I've found myself higher around 8000 sometimes, too. Not too eager to red line in first, but I do feel the bike feels happy in higher RPMs if my wrists can take it (tendinitis - need to install those grip puppies). Honestly, feeling the bike pull at 10-12k every once in a blue moon is enough. Talk about a wake up... Blah

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Good god i come back to check the post out and its madness I tell you Blah
Since its gone a completly different direction now (Im super adhd anyways and woulda taken it somewhere else myself lol) Its actually a good idea to redline or atleast get your bike close fairly normally, 4cyl high reving engines are made to do just that rev high and if you dont oil dont always make it to places it should and other parts dont get cycled like they were designed to so it can actually lead to premature failure in some cases when you do decide to take it up there.

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
This is something I have thought about a few times while commuting in the 5k range steadily. (There's one small stretch of highway I am able to red line so I think my engine is getting it's rev requirements ;) )

If there are any mechanics still reading this thread, I would like an educated answer please :p

You know on portable power generators, if it is not loaded enough it can begin to "glaze". Is this at all a risk with a bike in a commuting environment or is the warm up / cool down thing always going to negate that? I don't understand exactly what glazing is, only it happened to a camp generator we had once when all it was doing was running a few lights and a fridge, like 10% capacity...

Last edited:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
It's been about a year since I've rode and every time I get on my Fz1 I keep wanting to treat it like a 600. I don't really like using the brakes until I need them so I down shift a lot especially entering turns and I forget that it don't rev to 15-16k so I end up over reving the bike, the tach reads 13 at the top and its going way over 13 and it gets super squrilly, then powering out of turns Im giving way too much throttle and feel the back end doing a 2 step. Yeah I gotta get use to this power lol just figured I'd ramble
Butt Chevy, spin'in up the rear's fun! :cheer:
Good god i come back to check the post out and its madness I tell you Blah
Since its gone a completly different direction now (Im super adhd anyways and woulda taken it somewhere else myself lol) Its actually a good idea to redline or atleast get your bike close fairly normally, 4cyl high reving engines are made to do just that rev high and if you dont oil dont always make it to places it should and other parts dont get cycled like they were designed to so it can actually lead to premature failure in some cases when you do decide to take it up there.
Yep, I don't do it on mah daily commute, butt when I go fer a ride, I try ta hit redline briefly; it blowz the cobwebs out! :rockon: (Least that's wut I'm gonna tell po-po when I get caught!.) I duz it w/ the FJR too. :D
Obligatory picz from this weekends 600+ mi. of dirt, goat trails, 'n other assorted twisties....

Little_Butte_Creek_2_zps98c6b846.jpg

Note the biker friendly sign. :thumbup:

Bambi_Inn_2_zps060088cf.jpg

biker_friendly_zpsaa874641.jpg

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Well. That was a regrettable turn of events. :rolleyes:

Rode to work this morning like always and didn't hit 8K on the tach once and I still had a great commute while getting 50 mpg. Shifting at 7.5K in all gears this bike will still get up to speed faster than 95% of the cages on the road with my motoGP sized arse on board and get great fuel economy.

I rev it up on the weekends when I actually get to ride just for fun. :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is something I have thought about a few times while commuting in the 5k range steadily. (There's one small stretch of highway I am able to red line so I think my engine is getting it's rev requirements ;) )

If there are any mechanics still reading this thread, I would like an educated answer please :p

You know on portable power generators, if it is not loaded enough it can begin to "glaze". Is this at all a risk with a bike in a commuting environment or is the warm up / cool down thing always going to negate that? I don't understand exactly what glazing is, only it happened to a camp generator we had once when all it was doing was running a few lights and a fridge, like 10% capacity...

In the cage world this happens when a cylinder is left in a state of disrepair. i.e. like no spark and still has fuel or no compression (valve burned). It takes combustion gases to build cylinder pressure and actually expand the rings into the cylinder for proper sealing. Without combustion, the rings can stick in the piston, the cylinder can glaze and then even tho spark is restored, it smokes and may never seal properly until worked under load to reseat the rings to the cylinder. This may take several thousand miles.... By work i mean, a heavier load like pulling up a hill at rpm. A NO NO is Lugging an engine in this condition is bad idea.

I've never heard of small engine doing this but fixed RPMs limit where oil is slung and it doesn't seem impossible (I might be looking at different brand of oil in that case). Hence the need to vary the RPM through the whole range when breaking in a new engine. To oil and cool all surfaces....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I don't do it on mah daily commute, butt when I go fer a ride, I try ta hit redline briefly; it blowz the cobwebs out! :rockon: (Least that's wut I'm gonna tell po-po when I get caught!.) I duz it w/ the FJR too. :D
Obligatory picz from this weekends 600+ mi. of dirt, goat trails, 'n other assorted twisties....

]

Have to laugh at that! "THE BAMBI INN" :spank::spank:

Thanks for sharing!

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
proctologist?

Little_Butte_Creek_zps6aee649f.jpg

biker_friendly_zpsaa874641.jpg

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
haha! ^^ No, not everyone!

1st gear has its uses... Granted its at 13.5+ in & out of some corners, its only for a bit before gear change. 1st gear works well as 2nd is too low and its out of the power band. Yes, awaiting dental apt and tooth extraction of the 16th molar! Its a tough little engine and seems to be hanging in there! :thumbup: FWIW: this is the place that can bring the brake challenge into play ( http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/51120-crisis-takes-chattering-brakes.html )

After 50 years of being the worst road (most patched road) on the planet they paved this stretch last fall and did a pretty fine job of it too! Mid week traffic is nil. PS suggested corners speeds is like 10mph. :rolleyes:
53086d1399667183-i-have-keep-telling-myself-its-not-600-a-exhibita-lol-jpg

Where is this road? Looks great! Oregon? We are headed there in 4 weeks. I'll make sure it's on the itinerary

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I never hit the rev limiter on my FZ6. Did 0 to 100mph in 3 tenths of a mile once and I did 135 mph as my top speed - once.

I hit the rev limiter on my Triumph Sprint ST my second time out in first gear. I was taking off from a stoplight. Got on it. Heard funny noise, looked at tach - Oh, rev limiter. Shifted, all was good. I've only gone 110mph so far on my Triumph.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where is this road? Looks great! Oregon? We are headed there in 4 weeks. I'll make sure it's on the itinerary
:thumbup:

Sounds great! Not sure what your plan is while here time-wise but there are some great trips to be had! That picture above of is of the "Old Scenic Highway" to Multnomah Falls it takes you to a bunch of hiking spots and water falls.

Take a look here: I have some "MUST DO RIDES....." 1st post. http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-pacific/51561-2014-adventures-final-impact-pnw-rides-pics.html Wind River Road in WA and the Trip to Astoria, OR are both a blast as are the rip up to Lost lake (east of here), or Detroit Lake (south of here). Let us not forget the trip up the Clackamas River through Estacada! Big sweepers with ah higher speeds upwards ###... Its a fast road with few sneakers. Also its the same path as that to Detroit lake. A fun run!

Start a thread somewhere and I'll post up some maps. Then we'll see what time you have left to run any of them or what you want to see while here. Would love to show you around if it works out. All of these places are pretty fun rides... --> http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-pacific/49202-fizzer-turned-adventure-bike.html

// end thread Jack!