I need a DIY maintenance pep-talk

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Spark plugs - installed!

Man that was tough with my big hands! Happily, everything checked out and I did an hour on the bike for good measure, checking everything periodically (checking the plug caps to see if any exhaust was leaking, for example). No error messages, no misfiring, etc. - maybe it was my imagination, but it felt like it ran a bit smoother and had a smoother throttle response. Certainly there was a lot less popping and what not during engine braking while coasting to stop lights.

After 23,470 miles on the original plugs, this is what they looked like. Not too bad really, considering that they are way past-due for replacement.

Note on the other image which shows both with the tape measure - I had to remove them all, after I installed them in the head, because they come with that damn full-size terminal which must be removed because the plug cap will not fit over it otherwise. :( I had to do the job twice, in other words - including all the business with wrestling the torque wrench in there.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I have largish hands myself Mark, it was a little frustrating at times but I'm glad I did it after all was said and done.. :thumbup:
But I did put the Iridium plugs in 'cause I'm not doing it again with this bike. :Flip:

Last edited: