Idea for Quickshift mod for the FZ6...

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone grumbles about the FZ6 changing gears and for me, I think that some of the problem is that the gear-lever has a very long "throw" (arc that it travels through).

So, what I thought of doing is shortening the arm of the lever that is actuated on the other end of the linkage (the one that is at right-angles to the shaft) i.e. the shaft that is about 6 inches above the gear lever.

This would make the movement of the gear lever shorter and a bit more precise in feeling.

Just wondered if anyone had thought of it or had tried it. I might try it myself over the next week or so...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All makes of Yamahas are known for their clunky lower gears.

I do clutchless changes and they are very smooth. Everyone should do an internet search about them and go out and practise.

It will be interesting to hear what happens if you carry out your mod.

Steve

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear others have a problem w/the clunky lower gears!!!
I was wondering if I had a clutch problem or something else.
I had a Virago a long time ago & it didn't clunk into 2nd like this one does.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but one shouldn't be doing clutchless shifts from 1st into 2nd!! Only 2nd and up.

I guess there's quite a gap or something between 1 and 2...its the only time it can get 'rough' unexpectantly. i usually shift without the clutch when i'm not accelerating hard.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
preload the shifter like you would a clutchless shift but USE the clutch. You'll notice the 1-2 shift is much smoother.

i clutchless shift when i am accelerating hard not use the clutch when putting around.

Reaction score
Visit site
Whew! And I thought it was me. I have an '05 model lovingly called "DaBluBeest".
Same deal. First to second; ka-lunk! Sometimes it surprises me and doesn't complain. Haven't figured out what I did wrong that made it sneak in a smooth shift.

Last edited:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting... but there could be some unwanted side effects! With reduced leverage comes increased force required to move the shifter. Also, the reduced throw could make finding neutral more difficult.
If you carry it out, would like to know how you like it.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but one shouldn't be doing clutchless shifts from 1st into 2nd!! Only 2nd and up.

Everyone should listen to him if you dont already know^

Shifting from first to second needs the clutch, i would hate for one of you guys to tear up the tranny, then try to blame it on us at the website. From second on up just get going 4000rpms and up, let off the gas a little bit while pressing up on the shifter and it will glide right in. Good luck everybody!

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't had any issues at higher revs with clunkiness, altho I still find the difference in power between gears at any level of acceleration to be a jump unless I make an effort to feather the clutch while changing instead of kind of flicking it into gear like I did on my last bike
From first to second however.......... sounds like I've just dropped half the engine onto the road going up or down. Sometimes VERY rarely it changes like silk, no clunk, nothing just beautiful, but I just can't find out what causes it to do that. (Have tried everything from babying the change, to hard accelerating and everything between no solid result)
It will happily go into nuetral very easily with no clunk, and even from nuetral to second with no clunk, but in one step? For some reason its a pain in the ass.

I also found the dealer drastically changed the clutch at my first service and its totally horrible now, I'm still trying to figure out how to undo it

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
From first to second however.......... sounds like I've just dropped half the engine onto the road going up or down. Sometimes VERY rarely it changes like silk, no clunk, nothing just beautiful,

Same happens with me, I'm no gearhead but I guess the there is something that on most bikes lines up perfectly making a smooth change, but on Yamaha's only lines up perfectly 1 times out of 50. Preloading to make everything tight helps with the other gears, but not really between 1st and 2nd.

I also found the dealer drastically changed the clutch at my first service and its totally horrible now, I'm still trying to figure out how to undo it

Everytime after I get my bike serviced I have to adjust my clutch lever freeplay out of spec again (spec is 1.5-2 cm's I have it set at 3 cm's), otherwise the biting point is too far away for me to reach, especially in my winter gloves.