I'm a dumba$$ and I don't deserve to own a bike....

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Find me a person that says they have never done something not so smart on a bike and I will be the first person not to believe him/her. Like everyone has said, the most important thing is learning from mistake(s) and not making them again. I'm glad this one worked out for you.

One thing you did that was smart was stop your bike once you knew there was a problem.

Man, brush it off, learn from it, forgive yourself (one of the hardest parts), and jump back on your bike after you get a good tire on it. I'm not a tire expert but knowing I had 2 plugs and my tire went down to 4 psi while riding on it, I definitely wouldn't go far or fast, and I would probably trailer the bike to/from the place that was putting on a new tire for me.

Hope this helps... :)

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle tires are not constructed like car tires and also don't have the same amount of weight pushing down on them. Just by merely looking at a motorcycle tire, you cannot tell if it is low on air or not. It doesn't squoosh out and pancake flatish like a car tire. So your statement about looking at it with the naked eye is incorrect. Don't believe me, let the air out of your rear tire, stand back and see if you can tell it's flat or not!

I did not know this, and I'm glad to have read this. I "check" my tires before riding every day, but I do it by sitting on the bike and looking behind me to see if the tire is squishy. I'm going to put the gauge on them as soon as I get home tonight! Thanks for the PSA, this is something every rider should be reminded of!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I did not know this, and I'm glad to have read this. I "check" my tires before riding every day, but I do it by sitting on the bike and looking behind me to see if the tire is squishy. I'm going to put the gauge on them as soon as I get home tonight! Thanks for the PSA, this is something every rider should be reminded of!

I've had a few flat tires and it was easy to see they were flat with your naked eye... and sitting on the bike made it even more obvious (at least on the tires I was using). No sure about 4psi though...

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Sitting on the bike maybe, or if you had someone behind you with you on it they could probaly tell as I had another rider come up to me when I had my flat and ask if I run my rear super low. But before that when I was off the bike and just looked at the tire, it looked fine and certainly didn't look like what one would invision a "flat tire" to be. They were also 1 month old new PR2s, so maybe becasue they were so new, they held their shape a bit better?

Hey how's the Buell treating you lately Wavex??

Last edited:

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I apprecaite your support, advice and even criticisms. Should I have been able to tell by looking at it? Honestly, I couldn't - it didn't "look" flat and I am also not a very big person (110) so don't "squish" the tire down when I sit on the bike. Once the tire was inflated I did notice a difference by eye but not a big one - I am buying a pressure gauge at lunch (took 4 wheels to work today) and will rely on pre-ride checks with the gauge from now on.

I am still very embarrassed by I hope by sharing that someone else won't make the same mistake.

The new tires have been ordered and I can't wait for them to get here!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't get discouraged. Getting the gauge and doing pre-ride checks is key. Just remember that is the bike acts anything other than normal, to stop and immediately check it all over. I carry a pressure gauge, plug kit and Slime air compressor with me daily. ;)

Lesson learned so chock that one up to experience! Thank God you are OK!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Sitting on the bike maybe, or if you had someone behind you with you on it they could probaly tell as I had another rider come up to me when I had my flat and ask if I run my rear super low. But before that when I was off the bike and just looked at the tire, it looked fine and certainly didn't look like what one would invision a "flat tire" to be. They were also 1 month old new PR2s, so maybe becasue they were so new, they held their shape a bit better?

Hey how's the Buell treating you lately Wavex??

It certainly depends on how old the tire is, and how much pressure is left in the tire...
One day I get out of the house in the morning to ride to work, and immediately saw the rear tire was flat... you are correct that they don't flatten like car tires, but they still flatten a bit if there's no air in them... Sitting on the bike with a flat tire and trying to move the bike is quite difficult, no way you could take off without noticing.
Now I have had "half flats" a couple of times as well, where there is still a few psi in the tire, and it is much less noticeable indeed... but still, if something is weird and you think it's the tire, pull over and at least do this:

3553906337_69d6dd083d_o.jpg

:thumbup:

I love the Buell!!! It fits me like a glove :) I took it to work today (casual Friday) and it was great to ride (did not ride since last wkd)... here is the view from my office (just took the pic with my cell phone):

3553904855_47dd368b65_b.jpg

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
What tires did you order?

Dunlop Roadsmarts at the advice of my friend who knows my style of riding and who will be taking the wheels off and bringing the tires to get them mounted for me. I read the tire threads and even sent them to him to read and he still felt this was the best deal for me. I trust his knowledge and judgement. Hopefully he will be talking to me again by the time the tires are delivered to his house!

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously, don't be so hard on yourself!

If your friend was so concerned he could have told you not to ride it any further and came to you to help.

But regardless, you didn't wreck or kill yourself, so chalk it up to experience.

You will only be a better rider for it.

Lew

J_Slyter

Reaction score
Visit site
+1, yeah, don't be too hard on yourself. You're now probably safer than 1/2 the riders out there regarding tire condition, so it would be a shame to stop riding now. And you've helped make others more aware.

Besides there is a reason they offer tire pressure monitors on many cars and even some bikes now (meaning you ain't the first and won't be the last). In fact, I know of someone that recently took a test ride on a motorcylce and was wondering why the "hazard" light was flashing when everything seemed to be working fine. Turns out it had tire pressure monitors and the salesperson sent her out with low tire pressure.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
If you're beating yourself up over this, it's because you do take riding seriously. So you have the makings of a good rider.

The bike's not a car. When a bike tire is flat, it often looks just the same as when it's fully inflated.

Anyway, the last time I rode with a rear end wobble, it's because I'd forgotten to tighten the four bolts that held the wheel onto the single sided swingarm. It started to come unbolted as I was hitting the corners. So don't feel too bad that you didn't check the air pressure.

(Oh yeah, I didn't have the toolkit with me, so I fingertightened the bolts, rode 100 yards, stopped, tightened the bolts again. Repeat for a mile until a cager pulled over and loaned me a lug wrench)

Fred

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not great that you did this Cheryl, but I am thinking you are going overboard beating yourself up. It's not like you were doing a burnout and lost control of your bike or something stupid like that, you just didn't remember to do a check. Live and learn. Glad you are ok.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as everyone has said Cheryl, don't hammer yourself over this. No harm, no foul. There's no damage (except maybe your pride), suck it up and move on.

Chin up girl, and keep riding :thumbup:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the others: you're being way too hard on yourself. We've all done stupid things. I could fill a reply with mine. Live and learn; that's what it's all about.

Thank you for sharing! You inspired me to check my air pressure tonight!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't be that hard on yourself. The test to being "worthy" is whether or not you take things seriously, not whether or not you make mistakes. Just the fact that this bothers you is a very good sign.

Ummm, Wrong!

Seriously? I've had a couple flat rear tires and it was easy to see for me as well. If you talk the 5 seconds to push on the tire with your hand you can definitely tell. you can tell the difference between a tire with 28psi in it and 42 psi in it by pushing on it with your hand.

I've had a few flat tires and it was easy to see they were flat with your naked eye... and sitting on the bike made it even more obvious (at least on the tires I was using). No sure about 4psi though...

+1