I'm going to set the sag, but I have some planning questions

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have the urge to set the sag on my 05, and I understand the procedure, but as I am a heavier rider than the bike was made for (205 w/o gear) I figure I will need to lengthen the spacer to add preload. Does anyone know if I will need a longer spacer tube will some washers/spacers do the trick?

Also, once I calculate current sag, is the addition a 1:1 ratio? e.g., if I need another 3mm, will an additional 3mm of spacer do it or is there some multiplier that is used?

Thanks

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have the urge to set the sag on my 05, and I understand the procedure, but as I am a heavier rider than the bike was made for (205 w/o gear) I figure I will need to lengthen the spacer to add preload. Does anyone know if I will need a longer spacer tube will some washers/spacers do the trick?

Also, once I calculate current sag, is the addition a 1:1 ratio? e.g., if I need another 3mm, will an additional 3mm of spacer do it or is there some multiplier that is used?

Thanks

4939fabffa0673e2652bc5e3fb3a332f.jpg

I bought these preload fork caps (cap on the rt) for the stock forks on fleabay. They are made by Slingshot Racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Joe. I was looking at those but I made the decision not to put any significant money into the stock forks, figuring that the REAL upgrade is going to be R6 forks. So I am looking for a real DIY approach.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have some extra springs, but they're too stiff for your weight (0.95, you're probably looking at 0.85 or 0.90) unless you're planning on tracking it.

Happy to sell them to you for $50 plus shipping, but you should really just get the R6 forks instead. You'll be happier with it.

For 3 mm, just drop two washers in each one and you'll be a bit closer, but 3 mm isn't a huge deal. The spring rate mismatch is much more of a problem.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The closer the spring rate is to proper for your weight it can become linear with a linear rate spring but not at all possible with the oem progressive rate spring. I'd guess that to obtain enough preload the bikes static sag will end up at zero vs the 10mm is should be.

Your best bet is to set bike & rider @35mm or so and add an extra 1.5" of oil per leg to benefit from the air presssure increase.

Last edited: