I'm riding through the UK winter but I'm told I'm mad!

Stevieb038

Reaction score
Visit site
This is where I'm at. 42 years old. Rode a bike for the first time last May. Got my full licence September. (Now have 5 bikes but that's another story I'm getting counciling on). I haven't stopped riding and I'm told im. Mad. -6 today but roads were not bad. I felt I could get more experience by keep riding and I already feel the benifits. I like most riders new to the scene have feared rain. A couple of weeks ago we had a lull in the cold weather and it rained and the improvement was great in my riding. Have pushed the bar higher in the cold weather wet didn't seem so bad. Still rode with caution missed the derv spots in the road but felt very happy. Going to work and back I'm the only bike I see most days but I don't want to stop riding and feel people are making me question myself by doing so. What weathers do you guys ride in?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as there isn't ice on the road, I ride. If you have the proper gear so hypothermia isn't an issue, who cares? Likewise with heat in the summer.

Most people tell me I'm crazy for riding year-round too. But screw-em. If it was snowing and the roads iced over, I'd question your sanity too. But I've heard of people riding -20F and -30F. Just gear up and ride safe.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I never hung my helmet up this year either, also my 1st yr on MC. The coldest temp I saw on a body shop thermometer was 26F (-3C) that was after my hr long commute so it was probably colder but no proof! I took a pic of the temp :rolleyes:

there fuzzy....it was cold!

Last edited:

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, people ask if I'm getting my bike out for the summer, and I'm like, um, I haven't put it away. I wear all Firstgear stuff and did a 800 mile ride in December. Averaged 28 degrees Fahrenheit. I was cold, but not undoable. I have even done some riding in the snow, it's hard to do, but if you take it slow and just stay on city streets its not impossible.

Stevieb038

Reaction score
Visit site
Its good to know I'm not alone. I tend to look out the window in the morning and if there is snow or a very heavy frost then that's my limit. Iot has testted my clothing as well I now there weaknesses as well. The one gripe I have with winter riding is car drivers. I take it easy when the temps down to zero digets but I'm still on the speed limit. But as I'm not that 5 mph above it like normal riding iv got cars glued to my back wheel.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally ride all year around in Holland, mainly commuting (45 mins one way).
I have to admit I haven't riden for about a week, as last Friday there was quite a heavy snowfall, and as the temperatures have been well below 0 there is still snow on the minor roads, and worst of all in my own street.

I have heated grips and wear good winter clothing, so my commute is fine down to about -10C.

The biggest problem with riding in the winter is the salt, I have a frost protected tap at the front of the house which I use to regularly hose down my baby during the days that they are spreading salt.

Take it from me you are not Mad :thumbup: BTW hows the therapy going ;)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
been using the car this week, but was on the bike last week. Could probably have taken the bike today, but i'm not sure what the weather will be like and there's still patches of ice about

Stevieb038

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally ride all year around in Holland, mainly commuting (45 mins one way).
I have to admit I haven't riden for about a week, as last Friday there was quite a heavy snowfall, and as the temperatures have been well below 0 there is still snow on the minor roads, and worst of all in my own street.

I have heated grips and wear good winter clothing, so my commute is fine down to about -10C.

The biggest problem with riding in the winter is the salt, I have a frost protected tap at the front of the house which I use to regularly hose down my baby during the days that they are spreading salt.

Take it from me you are not Mad :thumbup: BTW hows the therapy going ;)

LOL.. The therapy is not going to good. I keep telling myself when I buy another im going to sell one just dont get around to it. Im told this is normal behaviour... Iv sprayed my bike with ACF 50 but with the constant hosing down iv found its worn thin quite quick so iv purchased 5ltr of WD40 cheaply and now using that so I hope not to have many problems but we will see...

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.. The therapy is not going to good. I keep telling myself when I buy another im going to sell one just dont get around to it. Im told this is normal behaviour... Iv sprayed my bike with ACF 50 but with the constant hosing down iv found its worn thin quite quick so iv purchased 5ltr of WD40 cheaply and now using that so I hope not to have many problems but we will see...

might be better with some scottoiler FS365, wd40 is a solvent and not good for rubber and seals

Stevieb038

Reaction score
Visit site
Only been using the WD40 on exposed metal parts prone to salt attack. I having to apply it more often but its cheaper then ACF50. Was thinking if I had the ACF50 applied by a professional it may stay on better.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
tbh, the only bits i've had rusting on my bike have been the brake discs, which you can't acf50 for obvious reasons anyway, and a cheap bolt i bought from halfrauds :)

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I'm across the sea from you guys - but I too, haven't stowed the bike for the winter. I'll ride through just about anything but ice and snow. With warm gear - cold isn't too bad. You definitely have to be careful of gravel and debris in the road - the street cleaners here don't roll through til about March.

Also - cagers during the winter never expect to see bikers - so they aren't looking for you. Always be mindful of that.

Hey man ride in whenever you feel comfortable. Don't take no gut from no swine. I ride all year round, through thick and thin. I've ridden through floods, creeks, torrential rains, 50+ mph wind gusts, you name it. To me, its part of the adventure. Just put yourself in the right mindset, and it can be a ton of fun and a tremendous learning experience.

I no longer get nervous if it starts to drizzle, or gets dark out, or a little cold, or really windy. I've ridden through almost the worst I can imagine and it only helps with every day riding.

Props to you man - keep doing your thang and be safe doing it. :rockon:

Stevieb038

Reaction score
Visit site
tbh, the only bits i've had rusting on my bike have been the brake discs, which you can't acf50 for obvious reasons anyway, and a cheap bolt i bought from halfrauds :)

Going to give the ACF50 a try again this weekend. It works just fine I think im applying it wrong. I did not realise that the WD40 damaged rubber.

Last edited:

Stevieb038

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I'm across the sea from you guys - but I too, haven't stowed the bike for the winter. I'll ride through just about anything but ice and snow. With warm gear - cold isn't too bad. You definitely have to be careful of gravel and debris in the road - the street cleaners here don't roll through til about March.

Also - cagers during the winter never expect to see bikers - so they aren't looking for you. Always be mindful of that.

Hey man ride in whenever you feel comfortable. Don't take no gut from no swine. I ride all year round, through thick and thin. I've ridden through floods, creeks, torrential rains, 50+ mph wind gusts, you name it. To me, its part of the adventure. Just put yourself in the right mindset, and it can be a ton of fun and a tremendous learning experience.

I no longer get nervous if it starts to drizzle, or gets dark out, or a little cold, or really windy. I've ridden through almost the worst I can imagine and it only helps with every day riding.

Props to you man - keep doing your thang and be safe doing it. :rockon:

Your bang on about riding in the wet after winter riding. I have improved ten fold.