Inline 4 (FZ6) compared to 4 Stroke (FZ6R)

S

sm00thpapa

Ok I was just looking at specs of both bikes and notice the engine specs. What is the difference between an Inline 4 and a 4 stroke. I would think they are the same, both have 4 cylinders, correct? Can some one help me out? Thanks!

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, i am sure that some people just face-palmed reading this.

No offense, you just dont know until you get told.

This is an apple compared to oranges question

a 4 cylinder is just that, an engine with 4 cylinder

a 4 stoke is how many strokes the piston in a particular cylinder takes before getting a spark for combustion. the four stroke works like this

-combustion
piston goes down (1st stroke)
piston comes up (stroke 2)
-exhaust is expelled
-fuel is drawn in
piston goes down (3rd stroke)
piston comes up (4th stroke)
-compressed fuel and air gets spark and combustion again
-repeat.

2 stroke is how it sounds, combustion upon every up-stoke of the piston

I hope this helps

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
These are two different categories of engine specs so you can't really compare them to each other. "Inline four" means you've got four cylinders in a line (i.e. one next to the other) whereas four stroke means one combustion cycle consists of four piston strokes.

The 4 strokes are:
1) the piston goes up to compress the mixture of fresh gas and air in the cylinder;
2) the spark plug ignites and the explosion pushes the piston down which constitutes the useful engine work which moves the bike;
3) the piston goes up again this time pushing the exhaust gases out of the exhaust valves;
4) the piston goes down and the cylinder gets filled with fresh gas and air mixture through the intake valves.

Hope this helps :)

P.S. The common engine types according to the position of the cylinders are Inline or V. And according to the combustion cycles they are 2 and 4 stroke.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
Good question... :thumbup: The simple answer is yes, they are trying to describe roughly the same engine.

The "in-line 4" refers to how the cylinders are oriented. In this case it means all 4 cylinders lie on the same plane or in a row instead of a V-8 or V-twin where the cylinders are anywhere from 45 to 90 degrees relative to one another (probably other angles too).

The "4 stroke" refers to how the engine produces power. There are lots of different ways but the most popular on a motorcycle are 2-stroke (mostly off road bikes these days) and 4-stroke.

The 4-stroke specifically refers to the 1.intake 2. compression 3. power and 4. exhaust strokes. Each step takes 1/2 of a full revolution (or 1/4 of a power revolution for the gear heads). The 2-stroke makes the process more concise and is much more powerful for the weight of the engine but not fuel or environmentally efficient.

Bottom line is both the FZ6 and FZ6R are both in-line 4 cylinder, 4 stroke engines. I'm not sure about the rest as for which has more power, higher compression ratios, or larger bore or stroke etc... Maybe someone else can help with other details.

S

sm00thpapa

Ok I know what an Inline 4 is, just wasn't sure what a 4 stroke was. So does the FZ6R still have 4 cylinders as it has 16 valves? And how exactly does the Inline 4 fire?

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, i am sure that some people just the four stroke works like this

-combustion
piston goes down (1st stroke)
piston comes up (stroke 2)
-exhaust is expelled
-fuel is drawn in
piston goes down (3rd stroke)
piston comes up (4th stroke)
-compressed fuel and air gets spark and combustion again
-repeat.

NO

first is intake ( combustion is NOT A STROKE ) where air and fuel is drawn into the cylinder via vacuum
compression ( where the fuel air is compressed )
power stroke ( a result of the combustion ) the fuel air mix is actually ignited before the piston reaches TDC
exhaust stroke

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I know what an Inline 4 is, just wasn't sure what a 4 stroke was. So does the FZ6R still have 4 cylinders as it has 16 valves? And how exactly does the Inline 4 fire?

ok

inline 4 has 4cyl in a line
v4 has a bank of 2 cyl in a V shape

same as say an inline 6 or V6 same deal

engines can have from 2-5 valves per cylinder

yes the fz6 has 4cyl in a line and is a 4 stroke engine
as for the firing order i have no idea!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 and FZ6R engines are identical in: cubic capacity, bore, stroke, compression ratio. They are both 4 stroke inline 4 cylinder engines.

They differ in power and torque output.

Other identical features of the bikes: front and rear suspension travel, disc brake diameters, number of gears.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1...the intake valve opens as the piston goes down in the cylinder causing a vacum that draws in the air and fuel mixture...2...the intake valve closes before the piston starts to move back up the cylinder compressing the air and fuel mixture it pulled in on the first stroke...3....when the piston reaches T.D.C. top dead center the spark plug fires igniting the compressed air fuel mixture forcing the piston back down....4..the exhaust valve opens as the piston travel's back up the cylinder forcing the used up air fuel mixture back out of the cylinder.....:D

S

sm00thpapa

Ok so I understand it easily a 4 stroke means the pistons make 4 revolutions before the spark plug fires again. If both bikes have inline 4's and both are 4 stroke why did Yamaha list them differently.

Engine Type

FZ6 - 600cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 valves

FZ6R - 600cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, DOHC 16 valves

Last edited by a moderator:

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
NO

first is intake ( combustion is NOT A STROKE ) where air and fuel is drawn into the cylinder via vacuum
compression ( where the fuel air is compressed )
power stroke ( a result of the combustion ) the fuel air mix is actually ignited before the piston reaches TDC
exhaust stroke

wait, what? what did i say that wasnt repeated by you except that you just had the first set of stokes differed from my first set?

i was not saything that combustion happens while, i was just simplifying by showing after the combustion, the piston is pushed down into its first stroke.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Both engine are inline 4 cylinders. Both are 4 stroke engines.

There are 2 stroke engines and 4 stroke engines The number of strokes has to do with the amount of operations before each power stroke. 2 stroke engine are found more on dirt bikes. They use a gas and oil mixture for fuel. In the old days when we used to round up dinosours, we had to mix the oil and gas together but today it's metered with an injector.They are great engines but used to run pretty dirty so have been shunned for many years. Right now with the fuel injection methods we have, they are doing experiments where these engines are burning as clean as four stroke engines.

Check out both these links and notice the cycles where each of these engines are producing power (the down stroke,after ignition) See how the 2 stroke is producing twice the power strokes as the 4 stroke?

Here's a link for 4 stroke engine
Four-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a link for 2 stroke engines.
Two-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.
Cliff

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I understand it easily a 4 stroke means the pistons make 4 revolutions before the spark plug fires again. If both bikes have inline 4's and both are 4 stroke why did Yamaha list them differently.

Engine Type

only due to marketing purposes. almost every yamaha street bikes uses an inline 4 cylinder. the reason behind writing it differently is that they could. plain and simple

if you are looking for the reason it has less horse power and torque than the previous FZ6's is due to Yamaha trying to make a different engine with the R6 case and due to tweeking the power curves for its anticipated riders

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site

Engine Type

For some reason I see this type of "mistake" all the time. IMO they need to hire an editor to make sure things like this match up when they should. It can be misleading if you don't know when to assume certain things. There's a good possibility there's an apprentice or intern writing these things up from someone else's report and they forget to include certain details... who knows. It should read something like...

FZ6-600cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; 4-stroke, DOHC 16 valves

FZ6R-600cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; 4-stroke, DOHC 16 valves

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Engine Type

Because different people wrote the specs and they both put what they think was important. :)

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
wait, what? what did i say that wasnt repeated by you except that you just had the first set of stokes differed from my first set?

i was not saything that combustion happens while, i was just simplifying by showing after the combustion, the piston is pushed down into its first stroke.

i was correctign you

you had combustion as a stroke it is not, it is process of the 4 stroke cycle

combustions occurs before TDC on the compression stroke, as a result of combustion you get the power stroke :)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Good question... :thumbup: The simple answer is yes, they are trying to describe roughly the same engine.

The "in-line 4" refers to how the cylinders are oriented. In this case it means all 4 cylinders lie on the same plane or in a row instead of a V-8 or V-twin where the cylinders are anywhere from 45 to 90 degrees relative to one another (probably other angles too).

The "4 stroke" refers to how the engine produces power. There are lots of different ways but the most popular on a motorcycle are 2-stroke (mostly off road bikes these days) and 4-stroke.

The 4-stroke specifically refers to the 1.intake 2. compression 3. power and 4. exhaust strokes. Each step takes 1/2 of a full revolution (or 1/4 of a power revolution for the gear heads). The 2-stroke makes the process more concise and is much more powerful for the weight of the engine but not fuel or environmentally efficient.

Bottom line is both the FZ6 and FZ6R are both in-line 4 cylinder, 4 stroke engines. I'm not sure about the rest as for which has more power, higher compression ratios, or larger bore or stroke etc... Maybe someone else can help with other details.

To be completely honest, almost all ORV's are 4-strokes these days, due to EPA regulations and all. Even the racers have gone 4-stroke. Snowmobiles are also headed in the 4-stroke direction. 2-strokes are all but dead.