Insurance question

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, this is a great site and I'm looking forward to learning lots from everybody. I have a question specific to insuring my 2008 FZ6. I'm currently insured through Progressive and did a quote before purchasing the bike. My old ride was a 2003 Yamaha XT 225 that cost me $205 per year. I kept my coverage exactly the same, and only replaced the XT with the new FZ6. The Progressive employee quoted me an extra $425 per year for a total of $630/ year for full coverage.

I made certain the Progressive guy understood the FZ6 is NOT a Super Sport bike. He ran the year/make/ model and agreed that it was no super sport. Upon purchasing my bike, I called called Progressive to transfer my policy over to the FZ. Low and behold, my rate went up to $872 per year:mad: After running the VIN, the lady told me the first quote was a mistake and the FZ6 is indeed a super sport.

I don't agree with Progressive and their "bait and switch" tactics. What insurance companies are you fine folks insured with, and what are the ball park prices per year for coverage.

I'm 27 years old and have a perfect driving record. My coverage limits are 20,000/ 40,000 bodily injury. $10,000 property damage. Comprehensive is $250 and collision is $500 deductible.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully you can point me in the right direction:thumbup:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 I've heard good things about State Farm. Could also try American Family as that's what I have and as long as its not a SS bike they only go by the engine cc.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Your initial quote may have been for a different model year FZ6? The older the FZ6, the cheaper the insurance becomes.

Also raise your deductibles to reduce your costs. I had originally insured for 20/40/15 with progressive with no comp/coll for $247/yr. After much thought and advise from fellow members, that's way too low of limits.

I went with Liberty Mutual for motorcycle insurance. However, they will only do motorcycle insurance if you have your car insured with them. I transferred my car insurance to them (their rates were slightly cheaper than my previous insurer) and motorcycle insurance came out to $512/yr for 100/300/100 and comp/coll 1000 deductibles.

In comparision, progressive wanted over $850, state farm wanted $760, and Nationwide wanted $790 (These are all quotes with car transferred to those policies too). Geico - they wanted $2500/yr for motorcycle insurance only. I didn't even bother calling them to see if having the car insured with them would reduce it any further.

30yr old male, clean driving record (within 3 yrs) in Maryland.

Get some quotes from every insurance carrier you can find to see if you can get cheaper.

Last edited:

dereknjenny04

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 29 with clean record as well. I am at about $280/yr with American Family. That's with 100k/300k coverage.

I got a similar quote from Progressive of over $800

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I am with McGraw, but liability only (have to change that for upcoming trackday teehee)

$120/yr

+1 on state farm - heard lots of good stuff!

+1 on McGraw - very helpful to me, but thankfully haven't had to call them except to change annual mileage estimates (higher!! w00h00)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips guys!!! I'll be checking with a few of those companies. I tried Liberty Mutual, but I don't want to switch my vehicle insurance from my current company.

Thanks again:thumbup:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Still waiting on the State Farm agent to get back in touch with me. I called American Family Insurance, but they don't write any policies in Michigan.

McGraw quoted me $555 per year with $300 deductibles instead of $250/$500.

Out of curiousity, I asked McGraw how they rate the FZ6. The agent said the FZ6 is considered a "high performance standard bike"

Progressive rates the FZ6 as a "Street Sport" bike, and hence the higher rates.

I wish I would have joined this site a long time ago

REZN8R

Enlarged Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Geico because my car(s) are insured with them. The initial quote using the drop-down make/model/year format was something like $2000/yr. The trick is instead of picking the FZ6 out of the drop down menu, I chose "other sport touring bike". Then the quote came back at a much more reasonable $327/yr. I sent in the VIN and everything about a month ago. So far, so good.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Great news!!! My local State Farm agent got back with me and I bought a policy with them. $380 per year for the same coverage as Progressive. State Farm considers the FZ6 a "Standard" style motorcycle which saves big bucks over a "street sport" classification.

The State Farm agent also told me I can save additional money by calling them in the Fall when I store my bike for a long winters slumber. By removing collision and keeping comprehensive through the winter I'll be able to save some money.

Thanks all for the assistance:rockon:

mike1952

Reaction score
Visit site
State Farm is the best out there... At least for me it is.

+1 (actually insure 6 bikes with them) Type of bike does not change rate only the age and ccs will change your rate. BTW your liability is way too low. The minimum should be 100,000/300,000 for liability; the increase may not cost you much. 20k is not much at all. You dont want to be handing over you stuff and paychecks to some guy for the rest of your life. BTW I carry a $2M umbrella. They are not much.

creekbed

Reaction score
Visit site
Progressive sent me a statement for $577/year for a 2008, (56y\o clean driving record.) Have my autos with state farm so gave them a call, $241/ year with much better coverage,guess who got my business?

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great news!!! My local State Farm agent got back with me and I bought a policy with them. $380 per year for the same coverage as Progressive. State Farm considers the FZ6 a "Standard" style motorcycle which saves big bucks over a "street sport" classification.

The State Farm agent also told me I can save additional money by calling them in the Fall when I store my bike for a long winters slumber. By removing collision and keeping comprehensive through the winter I'll be able to save some money.

Thanks all for the assistance:rockon:

congrats man:thumbup:

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
country companies is the best insurance company I have ever seen. I only pay $250 a year for 100/300/100 coverage state farm could not touch that and I have never had a problem with them either. I am 27 with not a perfect record I think i have one accident on there where i backed into a lady in my truck.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
100/300/100 with Progressive. The '99 Venture, '03 Kawi ZR7S, and the '07 FZ6 come to $540/year. This is for both myself and my 17 year old son on all three bikes.