Interesting article about Harley...

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to see Harley Davidson produce a motorcycle that is something different than their "tried and true" cruiser segment.

I think a Cafe' Racer, or Scrambler type of motorcycle would be a step in the right direction for HD. The author in this article is spot-on in his assessment that HD's lineup is far too one dimensional. It's mind numbing to walk into one of their showrooms and see multiple subtle variations on basically the same bike. To the uninitiated, most HD bikes appear to be formed from essentially the same cookie cutter mold.

As I stated in my earlier post, I really doubt that I would ever own a Harley Davidson bike. However, if HD ever decides to take steps towards producing a bike outside the cruiser segment, I will take the time to at least check one out.

To the folks at HD... you've painted yourself into a corner. Now is the time to realize you have milked the baby boomer generation dry. That market is shrinking and you're not making any products that truly speak to the rest of us.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Harley-Davidson is looking to slash costs wherever they may be, and that includes its assembly/manufacturing line labor costs. HD and Milwaukee go together like peas and carrots, but Harley-Davidson has warned that if it doesn’t see lowering labor costs, it could walk away from Wisconsin all-together. At issue is nearlt $54 million in what Harley calls “costs gaps”, which the company attributes to the high cost of manufacturing at its Menomonee Falls and Tomahawk facilities.

With over 1,400 employees combined, these plants represent two out of the three plants that Harley-Davidson runs. The other plant in York, Pennsylvania has already had it’s labor force reduced, after the local unions made concessions when Harley threatened to move the York plant elsewhere. The same fate seems to be heading west.

Harley-Davidson reportedly would like to stay in Wisconsin, but is doing its research and exploring other options. Knowing Wandell, dollars and cents will likely fuel this decision and not sentimental attachment. The newly hired CEO has been trimming fat wherever he can find it in the company, and has already proven capable of making hard decisions, despite the PR consequences.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to see Harley Davidson produce a motorcycle that is something different than their "tried and true" cruiser segment.

I think a Cafe' Racer, or Scrambler type of motorcycle would be a step in the right direction for HD.

I agree with this statement, maybe if they went back to their roots when they were racing and tried to make something like that I believe it would be something that your classic HD rider wouldn't get pissed about, and it might open up a new market for them. I've seen other motorcycle companies who have done similar things where they have a new bike that looks retro but with the style that would appeal to a younger generation.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading a really good article about the death of Buell, it occured to me that the managment inside of HD was very similar to GM. Rooted in old school office politics and putting cost savings / lazieness ahead of innovation. There will come a time when a company like Toyota comes along with the Camry and shows that Americans arent willing to settle for what you offer just because you are HD or GM. Product and innovation comes first..

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading a really good article about the death of Buell, it occured to me that the managment inside of HD was very similar to GM. Rooted in old school office politics and putting cost savings / lazieness ahead of innovation. There will come a time when a company like Toyota comes along with the Camry and shows that Americans arent willing to settle for what you offer just because you are HD or GM. Product and innovation comes first..

You're not wrong, but to be 100% fair, HD is probably taking a good hard look at their internal costs and seeing something waaaaaay too similar to GM for their liking. They have a largely unionized labor force who got their deals set up when it was raining money, just like GM did. Now, that means HD pays several times what its competitors do for the same kind of labor inputs. That means that even WITH innovation, they're starting with a huge disadvantage.

So they have to do BOTH to survive, actually, not just one or the other. In good times, lots of amazing new products coming out is enough to hide your inflated cost of goods sold, but anytime the market levels off or shrinks, you drop like a rock when your competitors with lower costs drift down much slower.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the read, David.

Wonder if Harley will wake up and re-think the Buell line/relationship. Or is that just gone, gone, gone..?

That was exactly my thought. You don't have to tip toe around the potential to alienate your core customer base if you have the other brand to use in exploring new territory, but they decided to poo on that avenue for brand diversity.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Marissa Miller Poses for Harley-Davidson – Future Ambassador to Woman Motorcyclists?

Marissa-Miller-Harley-Davidson-Nightster-51.jpg

Here’s an interesting one for you marketing mavens. Harley-Davidson has tapped Marissa Miller to help promote its Nightster series of motorcycle, which isn’t really news. After all this isn’t the first time that a blonde beauty and a motorcycle have been paired in marketing photoshoot, and it also isn’t the first time that Miller has posed for the Milwaukee brand: she was also the company’s spokesperson for Harley’s “Military Appreciation Month” campaign.
The real interesting aspect of this campaign is the fact that Miller comes from a family of motorcyclists, and is a Harley-Davidson rider herself. While some chalk this up to clever publicity statements, it could be a sign there’s some blood still pumping in the Milwaukee marketing department afterall. What better way is there to get women to enter a male dominated industry than with an uber-feminine sex symbol who still manages to maintain all that sex appeal while riding on one of the most recognizable symbols of our industry? Photos from the shoot, and a behind the scenes video [in the link above].
Kudos Harley-Davidson…now don’t mess it up.

marissa-miller-harley-davidson-nightster-1.jpg

marissa-miller-harley-davidson-nightster-2.jpg

marissa-miller-harley-davidson-nightster-3.jpg

marissa-miller-harley-davidson-nightster-4.jpg

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Wavex!!!!!:rockon:

Marisa Miller is so unbelievably gorgeous! I have her with a painted on bathing suit as my home computer background.

As for Harley, they're in a very tough spot! I think it'll be difficult, if not impossible, to branch out without alienating their core clients.