internet tire purchase?

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
This is not a which tire to buy thread.

I am about half way through my stock BT's and have begun to browse new tires and prices. I was discussing getting new tires with a buddy of mine who has had a half dozen or so liter bikes and loves to go through tires, and he said that most of the dealers (at least in this area) would not mount or balance any tire that you did not also purchase from them.

It seems that the best prices are definately on the internet, but I was wondering if anyone has had pushback from dealers/shops about mounting tires that they did not get to price gouge you on?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my 16's online and inquired with my local shop about how much it would cost for them to mount them. If I brought them the rims, it would be $25/tire. If I brought them the bike and they had to remove and remount the rims, it would be $65/tire. Instead, I took the bike to a friend who mounted them for free (although I gave him $20 for his trouble).

Some shops won't mount tires you didn't buy from them at all.

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard that many dealerships will mount the tire but just charge an extra amount for it. I think they'd be better off offering free install if you buy tires from them.

I bought my bike knowing that there had been problems with the rear tire (bead leaking). They thought they had fixed the problem but 4 months later it was happening again. They felt bad about it so they gave me a discount on a new tire and installed it for free.

You might wanna try asking a dealer about free install if you buy tires through them. That might just pay off to be cheaper or at least the same price in the end.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah online is the best price you will find tires. Kneedraggers, motorcyclesuperstore, sportbiketrackgear, motosport are very good trusty sites of where you can get anything and everything. As far as mounting tires, any dealer would be happy to mount them. If they don't well they are losing money with their stupidity.
Last tires I got was from kneedraggers, pirelli diablo strada. Super satisfied with super fast shipment and overwhelmed with the tires performance. Will not get any other pair but these from now on. Pirelli's all the way.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The local yamaha dealer charged me $21 to remove the old tire, and mount/balance the new one, which I bought on the interwebs.

I don't think I'd want to give my business/money to a shop that won't change tires unless you buy them from them.