Is it smart to apply grease to this cylinder before putting it back in??

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
It was probably a combination of Lone overtightening and the metal being weakened by rust. That's why I'm so curious as to the age of the fluid.

Change your brake fluid people. Even the rear. Once a year.

Well, it's 12am here. Goodnight.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome info. Thanks gents. I am indeed done for the night, but tomorrow I will figure something out. Worst case scenario is I need to buy a new caliper.

I didn't really overtighten the nut. The reason I kept tightening to the point it broke was that I wasn't getting ANY resistance except for a very light resistance.

After my crazy experience with the oil filter, I have made it a point to know when to stop tightening bolts and things. This bleeder screw just did not give me much resistance and then all of a sudden it just came off like it was made of putty.

But jamming anything into this bleeder screw will be tough. It's so bloody small.

I had a moment today when I thought, just give up and bite the bullet. Take it to the mechanic for the brakes too and just eat noodles or something this month. But no. I am a man and I am greater than these pieces of metal. I will defeat it.

P.S. The rear brake fluid was no older than a period of one year. Less than one year actually. But right around 12 months old.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering if the bleeder valve may have had a fracture there for a while and moisture had a place to live there, hence the rust and the weakened state?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guy I bought it from owned it for 2 years and put 3900km on it (most of that in one long trip).

Then it sits in my garage over our lengthy winters. Sometimes this is as low as 4-5 months, but can be as many as 7-8 months.

I've owned it for one more year than the original owner did and have put over 33,000km on it in that time. When it is used, it is used. When it is not, it sits there. God damned winters.

*resumes California dreaming*

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a moment today when I thought, just give up and bite the bullet. Take it to the mechanic for the brakes too and just eat noodles or something this month. But no. I am a man and I am greater than these pieces of metal. I will defeat it..

:thumbup: I'm in the same boat with my KTM as of last night. Just quit on me last night and I can't get it going. Taking it in, which would be a first for me with any bike, crossed my mind several times, but I've decided to push on...I've got some things to learn about carbs and such.

However, don't let the metal get the best of you....you gotta be smarter than it and that may involve paying an expert....maybe.

Good luck

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: I'm in the same boat with my KTM as of last night. Just quit on me last night and I can't get it going. Taking it in, which would be a first for me with any bike, crossed my mind several times, but I've decided to push on...I've got some things to learn about carbs and such.

However, don't let the metal get the best of you....you gotta be smarter than it and that may involve paying an expert....maybe.

Good luck

Yes. But you underestimate my contempt for noodles.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
messing around, trial and error on carbs and other things that affect
how an engine runs is one thing, a mistake there and you have to push
it home, brakes and other critical safety systems should not messed with
if you don't have the training or have the knowledge passed from someone
who does, I know you didn't like ant mb's comment, but after reading through
this thread, he was bang on, I agree you lack the basic mechanical skills
to be underaking changes to a brake system, if something fails on that
system, you may not have the opportunity to push it home, sorry dude

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone, you need to hook up with some of your riding buddies and do like a "wrench day", so you can learn stuff from them.
Bring some pizza and "pop" (as you Canadians call it :D ) and you'll have yourself a nice time. :thumbup:

That's the best way to learn, from more experienced people, and in a group.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year, I had someone work on my brakes and I watched him do it. I asked questions and made sure I knew what was going on. That is why I opened up my brakes. I had a decent working knowledge of brakes after watching the other guy work on my brakes.

But that was the rear. I think I am in over my head on the front brakes now. I opened the entire caliper up and now I can't seem to put it back together again.

I might just ride to the dealer on rear brakes alone and get them to finish the front brakes.

I can bleed the rear on my own, but I think I will ask them to open it and make sure the pads are in right. I put the rear pads in the way it seemed to fit best.

Guesswork though. I guess I shouldn't be messing with the front brakes in this manner.

I'll call the dealer and see if they can do my brakes at the same time they do my chain and sprockets.

Why do I suck so bad at this?

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year, I had someone work on my brakes and I watched him do it. I asked questions and made sure I knew what was going on. That is why I opened up my brakes. I had a decent working knowledge of brakes after watching the other guy work on my brakes.

But that was the rear. I think I am in over my head on the front brakes now. I opened the entire caliper up and now I can't seem to put it back together again.

I might just ride to the dealer on rear brakes alone and get them to finish the front brakes.

I can bleed the rear on my own, but I think I will ask them to open it and make sure the pads are in right. I put the rear pads in the way it seemed to fit best.

Guesswork though. I guess I shouldn't be messing with the front brakes in this manner.

I'll call the dealer and see if they can do my brakes at the same time they do my chain and sprockets.

Why do I suck so bad at this?

that's a bad idea. but you know this already.

they should be able to trailer it for you. my dealer does, within a certain radius.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it's not a great idea, but going very slowly it is do-able. I don't want to get charged for the trailering. I'll call and ask them if they charge for it.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$50 additional charge to have it trailered in.

Way to go SuperTech Auto. Fail mechanic is fail.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
fail_thread.jpg

ebdf77a2d10240_full.jpg

facepalm.jpg

BTW, a $50 towing bill may just save your life.

Last edited:

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
hey, what ever happend with this story ???

I'm about to bleed my breaks with new fluid, and want to be prepared for dissaster xD

Cheers !