I've tasted asphalt and it was bitter.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3 of us were casually riding in formation while we were looking for a certain street. I was in the middle left position with the leader and trailer on the right. The leader moved into the left turn lane and we all moved over and kept our position as before. We were all doing about 60 mph when the leader suddenly started braking HARD and turned left in front of me to stop and line up for an easy u-turn. Because I was in the left position, I was trapped into either swerving left into oncoming traffic or trying to stop. I tried the latter and my back end started lifting up. I was again facing a decision to either try to control the stoppie or release the front brake and plow into him hard. I loosened the front brake a little to try and control it, but I had too much momentum already and kept going right onto the windshield. Luckily, I actually did bleed off all my speed and the front fairing absorbed ALL the impact.

After the initial hit, it fell over on the left side and snapped off my foot peg and scratched the crankcase cover. (after I just polished out and previous scratches from the hit & run in the parking lot) I already tore down the fairing, and the windshield, left mirror, framework, left inner panel, and headlights are boned. As for the rest of the bike, there was no damage whatsoever because the frame fell down perfectly on the sole of my heavy work boots which completely cushioned it. On the roadside, we switched out the passenger peg with the broken one with my handy pliers, and put some zip ties on the smashed fairing to keep it from falling off further. I tested the tracking around some residential streets and started gradually going faster on the main road to make sure it didn't pull or wobble.

As for injury, my right knee banged the ground pretty good and rubbed a couple of spots raw. 6 hours later, and the swelling is already going down, so I'm ecstatic. Coincidentally, I had just ordered a set of icon knee armor for wearing under my pants yesterday, but they haven't shipped yet. I've got a couple of bruises here and there, but nothing significant.

My left boot was scuffed a little around the sole, but nothing bigger than the flat spot from dragging the ground in hard left turns. My pants are thin in the knee area, but no hole since I didn't have any speed. The jacket saved my ribs and left shoulder because I've got bruises under the padding there. My helmet didn't touch the ground somehow, the paint is still 100% perfect on it. The carbon fiber knuckles on my gloves saved my own hands as there's a continuous deep scuff running from the handlebar end, across the knuckles, and onto the headlight switch if I put my hand there.

Someone was watching out for me as myself and the bike came out very well considering the forces involved. My friend knew it was his fault and was grateful I did every thing I could to save his new Ducati monster, so he's paying for all the replacement parts. I was considering going naked before this happened, so I'm searching out the parts necessary to convert it. 4" dual headlights and bar end mirrors coming soon. I'm having trouble finding the OEM speedo cover for the FZ6N right now though. Any leads?

W

wrightme43

Glad your ok man.

Your bike will look like mine.

That will be cool.
Napolean bar end mirrors dont work well unless you replace the handle bar on our bike. Just a heads up. learned the hard way.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it was almost like the Deals Gap incident. I guess a lesson learned here is that you have to be careful who you go riding with. How much riding experience does this person have? After all, if he doesn''t have that much exprerience, he or she could be leading you to travel on a bad line. I always say, lane and line choice is critical in preventing accidents. Leave plenty of spacing, and for the riders up front, keep in mind that you will have riders behind ya.

One again, wearing safety gear has paid off for another member. Remember to gear up, because you might be next.

Thanks for the post, and glad you are okay.

B

bluenova

Too many incidents of people crashing in group rides. Makes me want to stay away from that.

No need to stay away, just keep the correct braking distance for your current speed and road conditions no matter what vehicle you are driving, bikes need braking distance too ;). Seems a lot of people forget that.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Glad to hear that you were actually able to ride home after that. Overall, it seems that all that damage that occurred was only cosmetic. That's good to know. Based on the whole scenario, you handled the situation about as good as anyone could have.

After reading your post, I've decided to try to squeeze a pair of pliers and some pull-ties beneath my seat. As you just described, you never know when you'll need them.

:thumbup:

X

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You never know what kind of tools will come in handy. I wish I could fit a whole hex key socket set, patch kit and electric air pump in our dinky trunk.

Everything will be fine if I can keep everyone at work in the dark about this. I really don't want even more safety briefings when this was pretty much the definition of an "accident". I consider anything avoidable a "crash", but the only thing I could've done for this is increased my following distance which is dangerous on it's own because of cars cutting right through groups failing to notice the middle bike which is DIRECTLY beside them. (which results in kicked fenders)

Last edited:

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Saw,

Glad that you are OK, thanks for posting in the "Hall of shame" the home of all those motorcycle mishaps.
Heal up quickly and order the bits before your friends conscience settles lol.

Nelly

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Glad you are more or less okay.

Group rides can be tricky. I used to do alot of bicycle charity rides but I witnessed too many crashes from riders who aren't used to riding in a group and have too much excitement in them.

The PACE philosophy is a great way to help prevent accidents on group rides.

Motorcycle Riding Pacing Tips - Sport Rider

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are okay. Glad your friend is doing the right thing.:thumbup:

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my friend is ordering the new parts off of aztec8.com on Sunday, so he's really carrying out with the offer to fix my bike. The wreck hasn't slowed down my riding any with the exception of going to work because the bike parking is right next to the main doors where everyone can see it. I don't like taking my left foot off the peg because it hurts a little to stretch out the leg and because I don't want the makeshift peg to flip up and stay flipped up. :D

knee.jpg