Just bought fz6 s2 2008

Electro_Q

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi just bought fz6 s2 2008, not ridden for 3years due to some nice lady knocking me off but im back now, love the bike just have a few questions.
1. Rode bike around seems ok but now and then i can hear a noise which sounds a bit like something rubbing against cloth but obviously isnt, its had 24 checks and new mot when bought from yamaha dealer.

2. After watching you tube on getting to battery is it a good idea to make some leads up so you can put on charge without all that fuss or would they short out and melt, ive got a battery maintainer which does car or bike but its quite big.

Post A vid of the noise so we can all give a listen. As for the battery, you will want to use a tender if you are not going to ride for a few weeks. You really should wire up an SAE connector to make plugging in easier. It also makes a great place to connect accessories. I have a USB port that I connect sometimes to run GPS or charge phone

If you are uncomfortable with wiring it up you can take it to someone. It takes 10 minutes and cannot be expensive

Hi just bought fz6 s2 2008, not ridden for 3years due to some nice lady knocking me off but im back now, love the bike just have a few questions.
1. Rode bike around seems ok but now and then i can hear a noise which sounds a bit like something rubbing against cloth but obviously isnt, its had 24 checks and new mot when bought from yamaha dealer.

2. After watching you tube on getting to battery is it a good idea to make some leads up so you can put on charge without all that fuss or would they short out and melt, ive got a battery maintainer which does car or bike but its quite big.
Welcome to the site, glad you're back in the saddle. Definitely worth adding a connection for the battery tender. The FZ6 has only a small amount of clearance for the fuel pump wires. This is probably the biggest issue when raising the tank.

Neil

Bit hard to rec noise as it does not do it standing next to bike it only happens when ridding

Might be sound from fuel pump, I hear mine sometimes while riding <30mph or at low rpms. Its the same sound you get when you turn the bike on the first time - when it does a self check I guess.

Bit hard to rec noise as it does not do it standing next to bike it only happens when ridding

so during idle or a rev in neutral next to the bike you dont hear anything unusual? What about when its on the center stand?

Makes me wonder if your pant legs are rubbing or your gear?

What are you doing on the bike when you hear the noise? Shifting, certain RPMs, turning ETC ETC.

Thought it might be me but i kept leg away and it did not stop so its not me causing it. Perhaps other guy got it with fuel pump so ill look into it

After listening to other guys with there fz6 most of the sounds are normal, maybe im comparing it to my old hornet which sounded smooth

You may try putting the bike on the centerstand, then lifting the front wheel (with either a sizzor jack under the header or a helper pushing down on he seat). Spin the front wheel and listen for rubbing from the front brake disc pads/disc's.

If thier gummed up, full of crap or just due for new brake seals, they'll drag excessively. The front wheel should spin, by hand, (a hard pull) at least 1/2 turn and more. If you go for a ride, stop with the REAR BRAKE ONLY, then feel the front rotors, they should be cool/cold to the touch. If their hot, their dragging and need attention...

Good luck..:thumbup:

I bought bike from yamaha store but only from site pics and write up, bike got new mot and fully checked over before sent down to me. Ive got know comparisons to compare it too so im only relying on what ive learnt so far

I bought bike from yamaha store but only from site pics and write up, bike got new mot and fully checked over before sent down to me. Ive got know comparisons to compare it too so im only relying on what ive learnt so far

Whats a new "MOT"?

BTW, used bike dealers aren't much better than used car lots.

If you don't want to check, after asking for help, then you need to go back to the dealership or another dealership..

Can they provide proof the front brake seals were changed every two years as RECOMMENDED BY Yamaha?

In UK no vehicle is road worthy unless every year it passes a series of checks basically looking for anything classed as dangerous and its called mot or ministry of transport as they give garages the paper to do the checks

Back