Just got a 2009 FZ6

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
After two years on my Ninja 250r I decided it was time to upgrade. So I picked up what I thought was a pretty clean 2009 FZ6. I must have been excited or something because I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary when I bought it. A couple of minor scratches, but when I got it home upon closer inspection it appears that it had in fact been dropped (previous owner claims it hadn't). :disapprove:

Oh well, it's still a pretty clean bike if you don't stare too long.

So far compared to my 250R the power is great! I'm glad that I went with the 250 for a couple of years before hand because I can concentrate on the extra power and not have to worry about learning to turn and what not.

There are two annoying issues though. First the throttle from open to close is god awful. It's not smooth at all, I hope I get used to this. Right now it scares the crap out of me rolling onto the throttle through corners. Second I find myself not knowing what gear I'm in. I'm so used to the 250s short gearing that I try to downshift too many times coming up to a stop or going into a turn.

addict42

Reaction score
Visit site
Loosen up the throttle cable just a bit so there is more freeplay (this helps a little) or go to some aftermarket grips with a different throttle cam profile (helps a lot). And you can always go higher on your final gearing...

Congratulations on the new ride!!!

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Really nice bike you got there.. It looks in great shape. Throttle and clutch were the main issues for me when I first got it.. I adjusted the free play on the throttle and lubed the clutch and problem solved, also, FZ6 loves going over 8k rpm I didnt feel the need until someone mention it here in the forum.. lol

Jon :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and Welcome!
I bought my '07 in '07 very slightly used (1,400 miles, poor guy's wife told him he didn't like it). I was assured it wasn't dropped but mine was too; no biggie, a ThrottleMeister and some emery cloth, plus readjusting the handlebars, and she was fine (and I dropped her once too, on the other side, so she rides smooth now!) :BLAA:
You'll get used to the throttle, just give it some time. Fizzer was my first bike, and it was the clutch that gave me fits for almost nine months; love it to death now! :thumbup:
Your black model looks fantastic, love it!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Knowing what gear I was in was my biggest early issue. I would always try to gun it in 5th when I should have been in 2nd or 3rd. I installed a HEALTECH gear indicator and I am a staunch devotee of them. easy to fit and accurate and a damn good guide as to where you are.
The throttle can be pretty diabolical but I got used to it and the clutch friction zone is miniscule, you can learn to love it and the quick shifts that it affords or consider getting on board with a KillerNoodle clutch modification.
It depends if he is inclined and has parts to do another batch, you may need to wait, he does them in his own time and the price he charges is really reasonable, but it is one of the three best mods I have done on my bike for altering the ride. The others are rear set set back plates and the seat.
Nice looking ride. welcome to the bestest forum on the interweb

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
This one is also very slightly used, 1,300 miles. The throttle on/off is really the main issue. The gear thing I'll get used too, the only reason it's odd is because I'm so used to my 250. I haven't found the clutch to have a small friction zone but maybe I'm just used to letting out my clutch quick?

gocartone

Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle on/off is really the main issue.

From what I've read, this is a common problem on these. I HATE it! Most (but not all) of the time when I'm off the throttle coming into a tight corner, then get back on the throttle, there is a sudden burst of power when I first open the throttle. It's not bad enough to make you dump the bike (if I ever go down because of THAT this bike is gone! haha), but it makes it look like it's your first time riding a bike!

I've ridden a lot of different bikes/quads and I have to say that this bike has by far the least smooth throttle on anything I've driven.

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought 2005 about a year ago, the "throttle chop" issue was one of 2 complaints, otherwise I really love the bike. I don't get out but about 2 times a month but when I do it's canyon riding, so the on off thing was quite annoying. I got on the forum and asked about it. The throttle tamer seems to find a lot of favor along with the adjustment of cables. There were also those that suggested I'd get better with throttle modulation which I have. Still not crazy about it but no longer bad enough that I feel I have to buy a throttle tamer.

Hope that helps and BTW, great looking bike

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned above, the Killernoodle clutch mod is awesome! I can't recommend it enough. I also got the G2 Throttle tamer throttle tube, which was a huge improvement on the throttle response. I'm a new rider, so those 2 mods were really big for me. I'm a long time cyclist, so right hand throttle control is my big learning issue.
I have a red '07, and I love the black '09's!! Jealous!

Sinman