Just hit 10000 miles. Recommended maintanence?

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright guys the FZ6 and I just hit 10000 miles. Now I'm wondering what type of maintenance I need to address. Any advise on what I should check/adjust/replace? I know it could probably use some new spark plugs and I think it's started making that infamous sewing machine/knocking noise that's very prominent at 3k - 6k rpms. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Look at your owners manual for the scheduled maintenance chart. Plugs should have been replaced at 8,000mi and the oil should have been changed at 600, 4,000 and 8,000 miles. Check the whole bike for loose or missing fastners. Check the chain for adjustment. Check air filter for cleanliness. Those are the main things.

I always notice that the bike runs a little better after changing the plugs.......they do wear out.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the bike used at 3400 mi so I don't have the owners manual I don't think. I've done general stuff like oil and fasteners. Just calling on the experienced members here for their two cents.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see you have an '06 like mine. Changing out the plugs was a big PIA. They moved the radiator forward about an inch or two from the engine block with the later models making the swap much more easier. I had vowed that I would never do it again.

Changed the stock at 20k, and I'm currently on my 2nd and last set of plugs, and I'm currently at 62k.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I see you have an '06 like mine. Changing out the plugs was a big PIA. They moved the radiator forward about an inch or two from the engine block with the later models making the swap much more easier. I had vowed that I would never do it again.

Changed the stock at 20k, and I'm currently on my 2nd and last set of plugs, and I'm currently at 62k.

Not to thread jack or anything, but how is the bike's power ouput with your mileage? Does it seem the same or does the engine seem less than fresh now? Just curious...

Richard

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to thread jack or anything, but how is the bike's power ouput with your mileage? Does it seem the same or does the engine seem less than fresh now? Just curious...

Richard

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum, maybe the only one who cannot tell the difference in performance after a mod or replacement has been performed. The only noticeable diiference I have noticed in any mod was my Remus Pipes, they are loud as hell, but that's it with the exception of changing out the stock seat.

K&N Air Filter...Nada
Synthetic Oil...Nada
Steel Brake Lines...Nada
Pazzo Levers...Nada
Iridium Plugs...Nada
Regular vs Premium fuel....Nada
Race Tech Springs..Nada

My recent fuel mileage from my ride back from LA the past couple of weeks was 49 mpg. I usually get around 210 miles on each tank riding around town.