K&N Air Filter

fatgary

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a huge mod I know but I did change my filter for a K&N over the weekend.

It hasnt been long enough to assess fuel consumption but from the first couple of rides I am fairly impressed. It now has a better grunt even at tickover and especially when I open it up. The little fizzy noise is now more of a Grrrrrrrr. lol

Anybody got any other low cost / High effect mods?

I agree with boneman with the possible exception of drilling the stock exhaust but that seems to be more of a personal preference.

These are all inexpensive mods that improve the saftey and comfort of your motorcycle and it doesn't hurt that they can improve the looks, sound, and add some individuality.

Yeah me too. I was also wondering what windscreen you recommend. Does Puig make one that is tinted and a couple inches taller than the stock windscreen for my 05 fz6. Thanks

my low cost mod is a 15 tooth front sprocket..makes the bike pick up so quickly..and be perepared to hold real tight when you wring it's neck :D

Thanks all,

Im interested in the idea of 15t front sprocket. Any ideas on supplier? would I find one at M&P?

Most of my riding is town 30mph riding, so acceleration is the only thing I can aim for as no need to go for max speed.

I really need to get out on the bike on weekends but I do my riding Monday to Friday and my football and beer drinking on a weekend.

m&p should be able to get them

there is a "penny and the bun" issue with this mod tho...

you gain the fun factor,but lose the abillity to get an accurate speedo reading (34 mph on the speedo is 30mph in real life etc) ..you will need a speedo healer to re-calibrate your speedo settings (around £80 ish)

RE: Yeah me too. I was also wondering what windscreen you recommend. Does Puig make one that is tinted and a couple inches taller than the stock windscreen for my 05 fz6. Thanks

I have a double bubble racing windscreen by puig in dark smoke. I love it and at highway speeds it gets more airflow up and over my helmet. I have pics if needed.

I really need to get out on the bike on weekends but I do my riding Monday to Friday and my football and beer drinking on a weekend.

Wow. Worst idea I've heard in quite a while!!!

If you've go tthe K&N, then open up the airbox & let 'er breathe!

Other cheap mods that are good are the dual headlight for sure, along with frame sliders.

Yeah me too. I was also wondering what windscreen you recommend. Does Puig make one that is tinted and a couple inches taller than the stock windscreen for my 05 fz6. Thanks
The Puig racing one is a bit taller than stock and much less noisier. I got my dark smoke Puig racing screen for my 08 from M&P (along with most of my bike bits) so you can probably get it for the earlier years too.

Other cheap mods that are good are the dual headlight for sure, along with frame sliders.
+100 on frame slides. It's better to have to spend £30-50 on new sliders than hundreds on new engine covers if you drop or crash! I've got R&Gs and love them!

RE: Yeah me too. I was also wondering what windscreen you recommend. Does Puig make one that is tinted and a couple inches taller than the stock windscreen for my 05 fz6. Thanks

I have a double bubble racing windscreen by puig in dark smoke. I love it and at highway speeds it gets more airflow up and over my helmet. I have pics if needed.

Yeah I think that is what I want! Do you have a picture? Where is the best place to buy one? Thanks

2005 Yamaha FZ6 Puig Racing Windscreen - Motorcycle Superstore

free shipping too.

Here's a pic.
IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Last edited:
doesnt the K&N filter demand a power commander to re calibrate stuff now that the bike has new "data" concerning air intake and the factory settings are inadequate???

doesnt the K&N filter demand a power commander to re calibrate stuff now that the bike has new "data" concerning air intake and the factory settings are inadequate???

When you do mods like exhaust. airbox/filter etc. a Power Commander would be useful in taking better advantage of these mods. Unfortunately you need to get the bike dyno'd (about $300+) to take advantage of the Power Commander.

The factory CPU does a pretty good job of making required adjustments for minor modifications but really doesn't take advantage of the increased power capability.

as far as best modding to keep the cost down, instead of going -1 on the front go +2 on the rear sprocket (and you can also ask for the sprocket to match your bike) maybe $50-60 dollars, dual headlight (H4/H7) $30-40,, drill out the stock cans with a 1" drill bit (free) :thumbup:, , cat mid-pipe ($60-70), Puigg screen (don't remember $$$), frame slider's ($40-50), swing-arm slider's ($40-50), fork slider's($40-50), bars/bar ends/grip's ($150-170 for all 3),but it all depends on how much you want to spend, these are just a few of cheap one's. Here are some pic's of what my bike has.

Back