K&N Air Filter

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
I read some posts regarding the K&N air filters which confirm that these filters allow more air to get through compared to the stock filters. I'm interested whether the fuel injection will be able to process the higher air flow correctly or I'll definitely need to buy a Power Commander. I've got no mods on the bike so the K&N filter would eventually be the first one :).

What do you think? And if the FI does handle the higher flow correctly, then I should expect a higher fuel consumption, right?

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, fz6nick! Do you know if the air/fuel ratio with a stock air filter is "optimal" and running more lean on the K&N would mean losing effectiveness/performance?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
For 07' and up yamaha has a self adjusting computer on it. I did the airbox mod and installed scorpion exhaust on mine without using a pc3. It idled funny for about 2 or 3 minutes then it corrected itself just like the owners manual suggested. The pc3 however will allow you to fine-tune the system to make it optimal. I just see the need for the extra cost if it isnt needed to make it work.

Johny Bravo

Reaction score
Visit site
I have installed a K&N on my 2005 Fazer and didn`t do any adjustments. The bike runs verry well, slightly better than OE filter and had Lowered fuel consumption. The air/fuel ratio is not critically disrupted and performance is increased due to slightly leaner mixture and morre efficient burning.
As a whole I am verry satisfied by the filter and may honestly recomend it to all.

p.s. Do not forget that K&N filter is Irreplaceable, so you lower service costs with av. 50-70$ a season! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The K&N air filter has little if any impact on the air/fuel ratio of our bike. When I had my bike dyno tuned I asked the tuner, who has 20 years experiance tuning bikes, if I should get a K&N type filter. He said stick with stock, they don't make any difference on the dyno. Got it!

Also the stock A/F from Yamaha is FAT. The reason for this is Yamaha knows people will mod the bike and will not ensure the A/F is correct. Yamaha uses three CATs in our bike (07+) to clean up the exhaust to pass emissions.

Attached is an example for you. The bottom lines on the graph are hyrocarbons; CO, CO2, HC and % of O2. The red line on the bottom is the stock 4 gas reading, the blue line is post tuning 4 gas reading. The goal is to keep the bike at 5% or so. Leaner actually makes more power than fat, to a point.

So to make a long ramble short, you don't need a PCIII for a K&N and an exhaust, but if you get one and have a tune done you'll be happy as it will optimize the performance of your bike! :cheer:

View attachment 8663

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For 07' and up yamaha has a self adjusting computer on it. I did the airbox mod and installed scorpion exhaust on mine without using a pc3. It idled funny for about 2 or 3 minutes then it corrected itself just like the owners manual suggested. The pc3 however will allow you to fine-tune the system to make it optimal. I just see the need for the extra cost if it isnt needed to make it work.

Snowmann, James makes a great point too. You can tune your FZ through the computer and get some very good results too.

Johny Bravo

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it does! Cleaning and reoiling. You buy a cleaning kit wich includes solvent and oil. After 10 000 - 20 000 miles you do cleanind procedure and the kit lasts for more than 3-4 cleanings. :thumbup:
It`s worth the price!

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
Make shure you do use the kit and nothing else. The filter material is made of tightly woven cotton and the oil is to help trap the bad stuff. If you use the wrong stuff or any type of compressed air or presurised water it will ruin the filter. I have one in all of my vehicles and I love them.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my K&N air filter cleaner kit from Napa. Don't remember what I paid, but I know it was the cheapest price in all my searches.

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your comments - I'll think about the K&N. Obviously there's no 100% argument towards or agains buying one when not using a PCIII :)

Hellgate, just to help me fully understand your comment - what does it mean to have a FAT A/F? Is it a special type of filter or just means the filter is indeed "fat" and does not let a lot of air?

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I read some posts regarding the K&N air filters which confirm that these filters allow more air to get through compared to the stock filters. I'm interested whether the fuel injection will be able to process the higher air flow correctly or I'll definitely need to buy a Power Commander. I've got no mods on the bike so the K&N filter would eventually be the first one :).

What do you think? And if the FI does handle the higher flow correctly, then I should expect a higher fuel consumption, right?

I've got a stock '07 FZ6, and did the airbox mod with a K&N a couple thousand miles ago. It may have idled funny for a minute or so, but other than that it ran/runs perfect.

1 - MUCH more pull in mid & high RPMs. No noticable loss on low end lugging (and I'm definitly a lugger).

2 - much louder. You will definitly notice. Probably notsomuch without the airbox mod, but I don't know? That much more power for such a reasonable price, why not? I wasn't sure the first couple of days, but quickly adapted, and don't even notice anymore.

3 - gained 1-2 mpg on average.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
And I also run K&N in all my vehicles, even the family van. Too bad it didn't help the mileage there though :( With today's gas prices, I need all the help I can get at 14 mpg...

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also after installed, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. I hear this helps to reset the ecu and it will adjust to the changes you've made.(only on 07-09 model years due to no o2 sensors on the 04-06)

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I had my battery unplugged on mine during the install, since i was also doing the dual headlight mod.

Another work of caution, after putting the gas tank back donw, make sure the overflow tubes are not kinked. I ended up with a couple ounces of water in my tank last week because the drain hose was kinked :eek: