Kawasaki Z1000

The Z1000 looks cool, but I'm very skeptical towards the quality. If it's anything like the Z750 I would stay away from it. I test rode one of those before I got the FZ and the quality of the 750 was seriously lacking. Up close the plastic looked and felt cheap, the swingarm and brakes were cheap, and in all the bike was heavy and uncomfortable. Maybe the Z1000 is different, but TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT! ;)

I can tell you right now from 1st hand experience...the z1000 is a much better bike than the rather bland, and gutless z750...

:thumbup:

the z1000 has been on my short list for a long time, I would love to pick one up as another bike, they are drop dead sexy to me and they are the reason that i fell in love with naked bikes.

I have sat in many, but never ridden one. they are comfortable to me sitting still, but that means very little for riding. I might find a shop with one and test ride one, they re-sell very cheap which might work out well for me :)

It was on my list too. The same dealer which I bought my FZ6 from had a left over 07 Z1000. I gave it a test ride, and really was impressed. Very smooth engine, healthy bottom end and a nice swell in the mid range. The stock seat sucked and caused an uncomfortable sensation in my tenders though:(. The only reason I did not get it was the price, it was too close to the FZ1! For five hundred more, I could have gotten a 07 FZ1. And that was a bit more than I wanted to spend already, so the other bike on my list, the FZ6 was purchased. No regrets at all. Although I would not laugh at someone who "upgraded" to a Kawasaki Z1000 though. It is a very nice ride. We need more bikes like that here in the USA.

I say bring back the old Suzuki GS1100, and the Yamaha XJ1100 and/or the Seca Turbos!

I had a thought last night after thinking about this thread. We all know there is a distinct lack of production naked bikes in the US, and I wonder how our impressions of this bike are tempered by this fact.

I wonder if I would have fallen so much in love with the Z1000 if it had been sitting next to a FZ1N for instance...

Last edited:
I had a thought last night after thinking about this thread. We all know there is a distinct lack of production naked bikes, and I wonder how our impressions of this bike are tempered by this fact.

I wonder if I would have fallen so much in love with the Z1000 if it had been sitting next to a FZ1N for instance...

The Z1000 is a great bike as i said...but i reckon the FZ1 is significantly better again...engine is closer in power to donor bike....and about 15hp up on the Z1000..

OEM suspension & brakes are superior to the Z1000 on the FZ1...

And finally, IMHO, the FZ1 build quality is superior....lots of plastic covers, etc, on the Z1000....still, i adore my business partners Z1000...has spent close to $10000 (aus) on serious mods....is a great piece of kit!

I had a thought last night after thinking about this thread. We all know there is a distinct lack of production naked bikes in the US, and I wonder how our impressions of this bike are tempered by this fact.

I wonder the same thing. As true naked factory bikes are rare here. I would take a FZ1N over the Z1000 any day, provided there were priced similar(say 8.5-9K USD?). Mmmm... naked FZ1...:drool:

I can tell you right now from 1st hand experience...the z1000 is a much better bike than the rather bland, and gutless z750...

"gutless"? Maybe it's the 10k your friend dropped on mods for his Z1000 that made it that much faster :D

In the top-end there is serious power, a true 100 RWHP was measured by the Italian publications (the Honda 599 / FZ6 hover around the 85-90 mark). In the case of the Z750, that shorter gearing equals some serious stomp. Believe it or not, in roll-on acceleration, the 750 has achieved better results than the Z1000 and it is only in the quarter mile, that the Z1000 manages to beat the 750, by 0.1 second that is. It seems like someone at Kawasaki has been paying attention and decided to tune the 750's engine in a more fitting way for a naked bike.

All that without all the goodies of the 1000:

Take one Z1000, relieve it of its fancy components such as the USD fork, fully adjustable shock and classy brakes, then change the weird 4-4 exhaust system to a classic 4-1 and slightly lower the overall finish quality and detailing. You won't find color accents on the 750's engine cases. Radiator covers are much simpler and passenger pegs now attach to the rear sub frame.

And at the price of an FZ6...

Kawasaki Z750 - Motorcycle.com

Last edited:
I was just thinking about these today! After I sold my first FZ6 I was looking for a Z1000 in one of the "matte" colors they had. The older 2003-2004 models seem to be around $4k.

The Z1000 is nice, But too naked (is there such a thing :Flash:) for me. I just bought a Z750s and with the 103HP to the rear wheel...........I love it. Actually took it out for the first time today. I juiced it in second and the front wheel shot up. Almost messed myself:eek:...fizzer never came close to this kind of power.

Wait now...I'm not knocking the FZ-6, I enjoyed mine while I had it.:rockon:

Back