Knee down?

Simona

Reaction score
Visit site
I can get my knee down on the road in certain corners which I know well and am cofident enough to carry the corner speed, but only in the right conditions. Iv had my knee down in the wet at the track on my 09 Fz6 on Pirelli corsa III's. Saying that, I have had the suspension sorted by a suspension pro and dont really have ground clearance issues.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_7529.jpg

:D

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea side stand did scrape, I ended up taking it off for my next track day. Also need to do something about the pegs, since they're scraping too.

as for the knee down you can wear out a set of pucks no problem on the FZ im on my 3rd set now...

yes the side stand will scrape... i remove mine for the track... the peg feelers got removed way back after i bought the bike... it would be hard to get a knee down with those on... as for scraping pegs... i would think that at that point your just about out of tread on the sides of the tire and would think unless you went with rear sets i wouldnt want to lean much more... thats getting to the danger zone on the edge of loosing grip... but mine do have some scrapes as well... but rear sets would solve the clearance...

as for the headlight the dual headlight mod is definately the way to go... improved nighttime visability... then you dont have to hear the "hey you have a headlight out" crap...

did you guys have the mainstand on? i did remove my mainstand, but i was hoping the mainstand wouldnt scrap, if it doesnt then i would install my mainstand back.

This picture was taken two weeks ago. It helps to use sticky tires, in this case Dunlop D209 DOT race tires. Otherwise, the bike is stock (just a trackday fairing in case I go down).

View attachment 37641

nice! where did you get your trackday fairing?

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
did you guys have the mainstand on? i did remove my mainstand, but i was hoping the mainstand wouldnt scrap, if it doesnt then i would install my mainstand back.

No I took the centerstand off. Then eventually after the side stand scraped I took that off too.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site

nice! where did you get your trackday fairing?

I removed the kickstand only after it started to scrape, I find the center stand doesn't scrape.

The fairing I'm using is the one that came with the bike :D

I went down once on the street and scraped it up so I replaced it with a new one and used this for track. Two birds, one stone kinda deal.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
knee down is all about body position,watching the chicken strips on the rear tyre and fun,the correct tecnique should give you more ground clearance as the bike doesnt lean any further than the edge of your rear tyre giving max edge grip,correct body position means your body mass is helping to turn the bike more agressivley at a faster pace,once mastered i found i was shifting my weight in most fast corners even if not aiming for a knee down,it just settles the bike and keeps the riders weight low and to the inside of bike and the turn,knee down is great it teaches you about grip ,throttle control,riding lines etc,BUT be warned i high-sided my fz learning to left knee down,was throwing down hard and gassing way to hard,saved it though,and it taught me how hamfisted i could be before it let go,
ALWAYS WARM YOU TYRES
ALWAYS CHECK THE ROAD SURFACE FIRST
BE SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH
GRADUALLY BUILD UP TO IT
HAVE FUN

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
My right knee barely touched one time. I had two small scratches to prove it (whimpy, whimpy, whimpy). I was using my daily commuter at the track and was afraid of wrecking it too. I scraped the peg feelers at that track day (You can still see them on in the photo). They came off before the next session.

25243_118223741525602_100000139291238_293378_3542763_n.jpg

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
KNEE down? I haven't even got a toe-sticking-off-the-peg-to-see-how-close-I-was-cornering down yet. So much to learn, confidence to build.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I would put a knee down on a set of corners in the open country by my house UNTIL I smacked my knee on one of those damn blue reflectors they put in the middle of the lane. :spank::spank:black and blue knee was not fun, now i just dont lean quite as far lol:rockon:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
I have often had my foot scraping off the road while getting low on roundabouts. havent got the knee down as i would wreck my textile pants and probably myself aswell ;)

Having said that i dont have chicken strips left on my rear :BLAA:

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I have often had my foot scraping off the road while getting low on roundabouts. havent got the knee down as i would wreck my textile pants and probably myself aswell ;)

Having said that i dont have chicken strips left on my rear :BLAA:

hey there mate if your getting to the edge of your tyres then your really ought to think about your body position and learn to knee down you will be faster and safer as you can go quicker with less or the same lean angle and judge/gauge lean angle with your knee

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't even understand how to do this.... Never tried. Why do it? I see guys on gixxers do it all the time....

It's so that you can take a turn at higher speed, in my regular driving there is rarely (ever?) a need to get close enough to put a knee down. However, when I get out of the city I will on occasion get close and even on regular turns I learn farther than I really need to just for fun.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i could drag knee but i usually ride in jeans (only get to ride in summer and on breaks from school = too ****ing hot in TN) and thats definitely not a good idea. and the point of dragging knee is that you are supposed to be hangin with your bum (partially) off the seat to resist centripetal force on the bike while keeping the tires/bike at a less severe angle. so move on the seat even if you aren't sticking your knee out.