Knock coming from front sprocket

BrianFlynn

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
I have a 2006 FZ6 and a few days ago a knocking noise started to come from the front sprocket area, it's only audible if you accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear.
The chain has been well maintained and the tension is good, (have tried loosening and tightening the chain but the knock is still there)
I can see no damage on the sprockets either.
The only things i have noticed is when you put the bike on the centre stand engage first, keep the clutch in and turn the back wheel, there's play, or a clunk from inside the gearbox behind the front sprocket as you move the wheel back and forth.
Is this normal? i have no other FZ6 to compare it with!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Brian

Hi All,
I have a 2006 FZ6 and a few days ago a knocking noise started to come from the front sprocket area, it's only audible if you accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear.
The chain has been well maintained and the tension is good, (have tried loosening and tightening the chain but the knock is still there)
I can see no damage on the sprockets either.
The only things i have noticed is when you put the bike on the centre stand engage first, keep the clutch in and turn the back wheel, there's play, or a clunk from inside the gearbox behind the front sprocket as you move the wheel back and forth.
Is this normal? i have no other FZ6 to compare it with!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Brian

There should be no 'play' at the counter shaft. I understand you to say that the noise goes away, when you have the transmission in neutral?

With the clutch lever depressed, you get the clunk, right?

Possibly the clutch basket? How many miles on the bike?

also wondering about miles, even a well maintained chain will wear out after a while. sounds can be tricky, so we will try all we can...

Hi all, Cheers for the inputs, narrowed it down to chain and sprocket ware, it (the knock) just came so suddenly i was surprised it wasn't more serious! In Cyprus and heading for Ireland, will get it home before i change it!

how can you tell it was the chain? mine is making a similar noise

When a chain wears, it does not do so evenly. There will be sections that have much more slack, as the wear increases. When the sprocket 'pulls' the chain, and the slack part 'hits' it makes a knock...... sort of the same deal when a train engine starts moving a string of cars. All those little slack spots add up into one big jerk on a car later in the train. Each sudden impact wears the pins more, and starts wearing even more pins.

When you measure the slack in your chain, do so at multiple points. Make the measurement, then rotate the chain so you measure another length of chain.

If the measurement changes a bunch... your chain has slack spots, and is worn out or wearing out depending on how bad the slack is.

Back