Lack of Power

Boiserider

Reaction score
Visit site
So one thing ive heard about my fz6 from many people, Is that the engine is a de-tuned r6 engine... i want to know how to make it re-tuned to the original r6 power in my fz6...?

sdriv3r

Reaction score
Visit site
From my understanding it is not as easy as that. FZ6 has different camshafts with different timings, different airbox, different FI...

I know you some pieces are compatible and can give you more power. For example swapping fz6 headers and exhaust for r6 ones.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Same guts inside, but the ECU is the biggest setback where the maps for Fueling and Ignition timing keep it tame.
ECU maps
TBs are larger
Exhaust larger
Cam profiles
Valve springs (intake)
Head gasket (higher CR)
CPS wheel has more counts and sensor for the cam position.
Meaning: FZ does group fire on the ignition using waste spark and batch injection. Although neither really hurt performance, they are group contolled vs individual which means they are not tracking the crankshafts powerstroke as accurately as the R6 with sequentially fired ign & inj. Thus, the FZ engine will lack a tiny bit in response time when wrist is twisted.
More fuel pressure too.. Just name a few.

All the gear ratios are lower too!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I remembered the R6 engine also had a sensor on the valve cover that looked at a trigger off the cam....

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
There isn't as much difference between the FZ6 and R6 as between the FZ6R and R6.

IMO money spent on suspension is the best bang of buck you can do for a Street only FZ6.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I remembered the R6 engine also had a sensor on the valve cover that looked at a trigger off the cam....

That is correct (and I threw it in there) - once free of batch fire, the Camshaft is needed to track the crankshafts position which the R6 sequential system does!
That valve cover fits the FZ but getting those individual coils in and out of the cover while in the FZ chassis may be a bit of an undertaking!

And +5 on fixing the FZ suspension! Worth every penny!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
So one thing ive heard about my fz6 from many people, Is that the engine is a de-tuned r6 engine... i want to know how to make it re-tuned to the original r6 power in my fz6...?

Rest of the guys summed it up. Aside from tweaks, if you want your bike to be an R6... buy an R6. Overall, the differences in power are going to be hadly noticeable for most people, since your top speed is still within the ludicrous range, and you won't be riding there most of the time anyway.