Laid the bike down on the thruway (PICS)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even if you had collision, the insurance would probably total the bike based from the pictures you have provided.

Thanks for posting and gland you're all right. A reminder to us all,this is what can happen when you ride too fast for conditions. Next time it's raining, thinking of this thread will remind everyone to keep the speed down.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Even if you had collision, the insurance would probably total the bike based from the pictures you have provided.

Shoot, that's waaaaaaaaaaay beyond totaled... only takes 75-80% to total it out, and insurance is calculating OEM parts and dealer labor, and probably figuring <$4k value.

I watched a kid go down on an '05 FZ1 in front of me, he was passing his friend in the rain on a bridge, and got squirrelly on one of those iron expansion joints and lost it. He took out the bar, right side of the fairing, and a couple other little things. I was in the back of the shop about a week later and it was in there torn to bits, insurance totaled it out, the kid bought it back and was going to fix it... over little more than cosmetic stuff.

Too bad that ebay frame doesn't have a title, not that I'd want to do the work for a frame swap.

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for posting and gland you're all right. A reminder to us all,this is what can happen when you ride too fast for conditions. Next time it's raining, thinking of this thread will remind everyone to keep the speed down.

Man, that's what i was hoping for honestly, i thought it would possible fall under the comprehensive coverage. It wasn't my dream bike by any means or a bike that i thought i wanted to keep for a few years. The original plan was to learn to ride on it for 1 season and sell it after, this was the 2nd season i had it.

I purchased the bike for $3200 with almost 7,000 miles on it in mint condition so it won't be too hard to swallow.

Yes, everyone please learn from my mistakes!
No matter how good of a rider you believe you are, it comes down to the condition of your bike and the condition of the roads/weather.

My back tire was pretty shot.:banghead:

Shoot, that's waaaaaaaaaaay beyond totaled... only takes 75-80% to total it out, and insurance is calculating OEM parts and dealer labor, and probably figuring <$4k value.

I watched a kid go down on an '05 FZ1 in front of me, he was passing his friend in the rain on a bridge, and got squirrelly on one of those iron expansion joints and lost it. He took out the bar, right side of the fairing, and a couple other little things. I was in the back of the shop about a week later and it was in there torn to bits, insurance totaled it out, the kid bought it back and was going to fix it... over little more than cosmetic stuff.

Too bad that ebay frame doesn't have a title, not that I'd want to do the work for a frame swap.

I definitely have been very nervous of those transition joints on the ramps of overpasses. One of my father's friends was taken out by one of those even at a slow speed. That rubber gets on a metalic surface and it just wants to slide.

I'm gonna start shortly and strip the thing down.

Glad your okay. Where abouts in buffalo are you? I'm in Tonawanda.

Me too! Confused about how i literally walked away from this one but i'll take it! I live in Boston which is a small town south of Hamburg. I work in Lackawanna though off of Rt 5 so i was making that trip every day with the bike especially thanks to this kind of season that we've had! No rain! Literally drove a vehicle to work 3 times in 3 months before i put her down.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You had a really lucky crash. My little lowside once was like that, and also (non-moto story), once when I was a kid, I survived what could have been a nasty injury from a broken swing chain (like a kid's swingset at a playground). I was swinging, and the left chain broke on the back swing, and I landed neatly in a very small area between a two foot-tall brick wall and it's larger brother behind me. Spinal, head injuries, etc. happen that way all the time.

And once, out in the desert, I tried to ride my uncle's three-wheeler (those were really dangerous) and crashed totally, landing in soft sand right next to a huge barrel cactus, with razor-sharp spines. It could have been a disfiguring or fatal injury for sure.

Dude, you cannot go 80 in the rain! And what I mean is, on public roads you should be more respectful of yours and others' safety.

Definitely put it on Craigslist and also try to part it out here and wherever as you go. Good luck!

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, you cannot go 80 in the rain! And what I mean is, on public roads you should be more respectful of yours and others' safety.

Definitely put it on Craigslist and also try to part it out here and wherever as you go. Good luck!

For some reason i was starting to feel invincible on that thing, splitting groups of cars on the regular, blowing red lights, weaving like no tomorrow, staying at a constant of like 25+ over the speed limit where ever i was unless city. I'm happy it ended with this outcome although it could have easily been avoided. The speed limit on that part of the expressway is 65 so i was only going 15 over but you're right far too fast for the rain, lesson learned.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bah. Don't listen to these guys. A pair of Vise-Grips, Bondo and some duct tape and she'll be good as new!

:BLAA:

I'm kidding of course, so glad you're okay. Thanks for posting your experience, it rarely rains here but the sprinkler systems could have the same effect.

rodman

Reaction score
Visit site
Me too! Confused about how i literally walked away from this one but i'll take it! I live in Boston which is a small town south of Hamburg. I work in Lackawanna though off of Rt 5 so i was making that trip every day with the bike especially thanks to this kind of season that we've had! No rain! Literally drove a vehicle to work 3 times in 3 months before i put her down.[/QUOTE]

O yeah, I ride through Boston all the time trying to find some good twisties. (rice rd @the 219 is sweet) Let us know what you decide to do with the bike. I think they look good naked. Also if you need a used cowl i might have one for ya. it's off my 2007. not sure if that matters.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For some reason i was starting to feel invincible on that thing, splitting groups of cars on the regular, blowing red lights, weaving like no tomorrow, staying at a constant of like 25+ over the speed limit where ever i was unless city. I'm happy it ended with this outcome although it could have easily been avoided. The speed limit on that part of the expressway is 65 so i was only going 15 over but you're right far too fast for the rain, lesson learned.

Its not hard to feel invincible on the FZ, as light and nimble as it is stock... Knock on wood, you'll be ok, bikes can be replaced and lesson learned....:thumbup:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude..thank god you are ok. That easily could have ended much much worse.

Order up a VS kit from Vishnu and be done with it. Recommend if you go that route to do the BD43 wiring mod or toss in one of Motogiro's relays so you get proper high/low beam functioning of the headlight and will be able to use a higher wattage H4 bulb.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude..thank god you are ok. That easily could have ended much much worse.

Order up a VS kit from Vishnu and be done with it. Recommend if you go that route to do the BD43 wiring mod or toss in one of Motogiro's relays so you get proper high/low beam functioning of the headlight and will be able to use a higher wattage H4 bulb.

I think his bike is about totaled at this point and if it wasn't a new tire, IMHO, would be in order first..

+1 on the additional lighting and brighter bulbs as well if the bike ran....

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
Me too! Confused about how i literally walked away from this one but i'll take it! I live in Boston which is a small town south of Hamburg. I work in Lackawanna though off of Rt 5 so i was making that trip every day with the bike especially thanks to this kind of season that we've had! No rain! Literally drove a vehicle to work 3 times in 3 months before i put her down.

O yeah, I ride through Boston all the time trying to find some good twisties. (rice rd @the 219 is sweet) Let us know what you decide to do with the bike. I think they look good naked. Also if you need a used cowl i might have one for ya. it's off my 2007. not sure if that matters.[/QUOTE]

No sh*t. There are only a few roads that i'd ever reccomend getting low on in boston. Lots of them may have some gravel or something tossed up on them.

I live no more than two minutes from Rice Rd...on the same hill off of Zimmerman. We refer to the lower part of that road as the time trial, awesome twisties and your dead if you don't stay on the road. When going down Rice, it takes you to Boston St. (391) at a crossroad where 391 is running perpendicular to ya, if you go straight through the light and go up that hill, a friend of a few of my friends road off the road at that slight left going probably 100+ and launched himself into the woods where he later died in the ambulance. Sad story but that's what happens if you let the bike get the best of you.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
What happened at the end?
Were you able to repair it?

I came across an other Fz6 frame on ebay that can be usefull: (Very cheap)

04 05 06 FZ6S Frame Chassis Damaged Certificate of Destruction | eBay

$(KGrHqRHJ!4E8+gc+p+vBPRFFRNc(Q~~60_12.JPG

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a totaled frame... His is better than that one...:(

^^ Very true!
Not to mention, without the "other half" there is no guarantee it will hold the head bearings properly. People half a frame is of no value!
The headset bearing recess is machined as a single piece so joining two halves that were not machined as a pair could yield headset issues whereby the races bind or fall out. . .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck, the bottom tab of the good side of the E-bay frame is broken off too.

Its not heavy enough to turn into a boat anchor, might fetch some $ as scrape aluminum with your aluminum cans...

Unblievable what people try to peddle on-line....

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott devastated:thumbup: for you buddy. Glad your in one bit buddy.
I can't open your gif images on the phone.rwme
I wouldn't mind the swing arm ?
Your pal
Neil

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2