Licence Plate light problem

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
My licence plate blubs keep burning out.
I am assuming there must be a short happening somewhere. How do I find out where. None of my other lighting is affected.

Also, for my last bulb I was installing an LED blub instead of an incandescent and noticed that that the connector is a little finicky. In that the blub needs to be set a certain way to light up.

So could the bulb holder be faulty, which is why it keeps burning my incandescent bulbs out?

How often were they burning out? Seems to happen to some for no apparent reason. There are a few old threads on this subject with no clear cause. Vibration, moisture, electrical surges? Don't know.

I'm on my third bulb. I got ~2 years out of the original (Yamaha 4SV-84347-00-00), a month from a Sylvania 2825 from AutoZone, and I'm about 6 months into another Sylvania from the same bubble pack.

Some people posted that they use a 194 bulb replacement, which is a 3 Watt, not a 5 Watt bulb like the original, if that matters.

I don't recall any problems with the connector/light bulb socket. LEDs have a polarity, like a battery, and will only work in one orientation where an incandescent bulb doesn't care, if that is what are saying about it being finicky. If there was a short somewhere, it would be probably be blowing fuses, not bulbs.

Hope the LED works for you. What are you using? I may go the same route, or go back to OEM bulbs, if it continues to be a problem.

Last edited:
When I installed my led it was a bit too long and wouldnt light so I had to get the angle right. Just upgraded brake bulb to led also after having to ride after dark w it out.

Back