Looking for a Back pack

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been on the market for a good backpack i ride every day to work unless it rains, about 45-50miles

I have an old dual strap backpack and the straps are about to break figure i better start looking before i have one strap and a slow ride home :(

i have been looking at a few and A-stars tech aero and Kriega-r20/25 seem to be the leaders.

does anyone have these back packs how do they sit on you i am about 6'3 210 so i want something that fits a bigger person but also something i can wear off the bike and not have a vest on my chest

i don't think i am leaving anything out any tips suggestions or others products would be helpful thanks guys

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the kriega 25, I am 5'7" and I find that it fits fine the weight never seems to sit on the shoulders coz the clip at the front brings all the weight to that point, dont know quite how but it doesnt drag on your shoulders and the straps dont restrict your arms either.

I have had hiking packs and a roadsack (made here in Aus) but they all had a convention strapping system. The only other thing I have used is a courier style bag from Crumpler, ok for a short 5 km ride but over 40 miles or so it would bug the crap outta you as its all over one shoulder

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Kriega R15 a lot and also have used my mates R25 - both very comfortable and once adjusted correctly easy to put on and off and not feel it while riding.

Spent 11 days last year riding the Alps with the R15 with a 3 litre hydration pack and never once felt it being heavy.

I've got a Karrimor rucksack if I need to carry a bit more, but would rather use my top box or tail pack if it's heavy/bulky stuff.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Kriega R25 and it's brilliant.

It's plenty big enough for a change of clothes and shoes if I'm riding in full gear.

There are internal and external zipped pockets.

It's water resistant and has a huge reflective panel on the back.

But the best thing about it is you can load it up and wear it all day, on or off the bike, and it's completely comfortable.

The load is spread over your torso and back, there's no load on your shoulders or collarbones.

It closes like a parachute harness on the front, with two big round clips that you can manipulate easily in gloves.

I've ridden to Phillip Island from Adelaide, walked around the WSBKS for 3 days, then ridden home in it. No problems at all.

I have a mate with an R30 that is quite a bit bigger, (even though it's only supposed to be 5 litres bigger). It's got a bag that hangs from the bottom you can fit a helmet in, and it's waterproof.

They're expensive though....I got mine from the US for $150 delivered. But they're 175 + in Aus.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a black cargo net on my rear seat. I can fit a large "3 day" hiking pack under there or more often a smaller day pack.
I'm really careful that all of the straps on my packs are secure too, wouldn't want something working its way into the chain.

Here is a link to reviews on some pretty sweet packs,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAsc06NCbk]Backpack Shopping with Nutnfancy - YouTube[/ame]

For my day to day use, I quite like the flexibility of the cargo net plus a few different packs.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Timbuk2 Knockout pack a couple months ago. I was worried it was too small when I got it (especially since it's custom and no returns!) but it swallows some stuff. Made in SF, and they've got reflective options... I got the outer panels of mine in that reflective microdot stuff, seems like it should be eye-catching to go from black fabric to bright dots all over.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one from Tesco 30 litre capacity, built-in rain cover. Its been brilliant over the last two years. Rugged and comfortable. Its designed as a hiking rig but it works great on the bike. I carry my work kit and running gear and on occasion my laptop and groceries.
upasy2eg.jpg

yqyreda6.jpg

Edit I should have mentioned the cost, £20

I had a Berghaus one previously as I thought the brand was quality. It lasted six months.

Neil

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

starflyer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the A* tech aero and wear it every time i ride. had it about 8 months now and have ridden about 6000 miles in that time. no signs of wear and tear at all; very high quality pack.

it carries additional tools, tire plugs and the like and on occasion a change of clothes or two. i have ridden to work (about 35 miles) with a 15" laptop in the pack only a couple of times and it was still comfortable while riding. there's an expansion zipper that increases capacity; had this unzipped while carrying the laptop but stays zipped most of the time unless i'm carrying more than two changes of clothes (the tools always stay in there).

i'm 5'7 160lb it's very comfortable and i'm quite pleased with it. highly recommend this pack.:rockon:

my bro is about your size. i could take a pic or two of him wearing it if you like.

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
Have to plug my new bag, it's been working great. Hazard4 Evac Rocket. It's a sling backpack with a very wide, cushioned, and solid strap. It's also much taller than it is wide so your weight load is spread out more evenly diagonal across your back.

There's a secondary stability strap that connects to the main one to keep it from slipping down and around accidentally. It's very easy and quick to unclip that strap and swing the whole bag around to your front, without taking it off. This allows you to stay seated on your bike and access the whole pack without taking it off, which is great for me.

It's well built with a warranty. Lots of pockets and molle straps for adding extra pouches. Also has a hydration reservoir pouch.
Hazard4 Evac Rocket Sling Pack
policestuff_2251_750017100

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been on the market for a good backpack i ride every day to work unless it rains, about 45-50miles

I have an old dual strap backpack and the straps are about to break figure i better start looking before i have one strap and a slow ride home :(

i have been looking at a few and A-stars tech aero and Kriega-r20/25 seem to be the leaders.

does anyone have these back packs how do they sit on you i am about 6'3 210 so i want something that fits a bigger person but also something i can wear off the bike and not have a vest on my chest

i don't think i am leaving anything out any tips suggestions or others products would be helpful thanks guys

Ogio makes great backpacks too. just get something big enough for what you need and make sure it has a cross buckle.

even a good Jansport would suffice. no backpack is going to be impact resistant enough to save a laptop if you go down and land on your back...

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Icon Squad II backpack also and like it. The sleeves and chest pieces can detach so its more like a regular backpack. I wanted something that could also hold a helmet below it that is why I choose it.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
My work bought me a Targus laptop bag. Looks like a regular backpack but has a slot for the laptop they gave me. They say I "have" to carry the laptop in a company purchased bag.

It works fine for me. Even held up to a pavement slide. If the bag bugs your back or shoulders for some reason on the bike, but is otherwise comfortable, let the straps out a bit. It's amazing what 1"-2" lower will do for comfort.

I bought the Icon bag once. Returned it the same day. It's not going anywhere, but the numerous buckles and straps keep it high and tight, which is the worst on your back for carrying weight in a tucked position. So, for any sport bike, it kinda sucks. And I just carried a single change of clothes in it and a helmet visor. I carry books, a heavy duty field laptop, gear, and a change of clothes in the Targus bag, and it's comfortable, because I can put the weight lower.

Just my experience. As long as both straps are on, and you're not trying to ride the dragon or something, a regular backpack isn't going anywhere.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Have to plug my new bag, it's been working great. Hazard4 Evac Rocket. It's a sling backpack with a very wide, cushioned, and solid strap. It's also much taller than it is wide so your weight load is spread out more evenly diagonal across your back.

There's a secondary stability strap that connects to the main one to keep it from slipping down and around accidentally. It's very easy and quick to unclip that strap and swing the whole bag around to your front, without taking it off. This allows you to stay seated on your bike and access the whole pack without taking it off, which is great for me.

It's well built with a warranty. Lots of pockets and molle straps for adding extra pouches. Also has a hydration reservoir pouch.
Hazard4 Evac Rocket Sling Pack
policestuff_2251_750017100

That there's a nice looking pack!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Fox Racing backpack, something like this one, in 2007 in a dirtbike shop, on sale, for $26:

41I36qrQuDL.jpg

I'm still using it, ride to work almost every day March-November, and it shows almost no wear. It doesn't hold a huge amount of stuff, but you said you need it for commuting to work; I carry my gym clothes, towels, my size-13 basketball shoes, and a bigazz thermos full of iced tea; I can carry any papers/books in the separate back pocket.

About three years ago the Air Force got unnecessarily anal about motorcycle safety, and I was soon told that my backpack (it was bright blue/black) wasn't "bright" enough to ride on base. I was so angry I went to Target and started trying out tiny, pink "Hello Kitty" backpacks:

hello%20kitty%20backpack.jpg

...just to prove a point. I couldn't find one that fit (I'm 6'5"), which in retrospect was probably a good thing... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aymish

Reaction score
Visit site
Ogio makes great backpacks too. just get something big enough for what you need and make sure it has a cross buckle.

even a good Jansport would suffice. no backpack is going to be impact resistant enough to save a laptop if you go down and land on your back...

I have a Ogio no drag Mach 3, I can't fault it, it's really comfy, has good back support and padding, the shoulder release clip makes it easy to take off and put it on. It has reflective piping and reflective ogio badges, has a 15" laptop compartment, another two for books/paper and a few pockets for pens and keys and things, and a larger compartment for clothes and other things. It's aerodynamic shape give no turbulence on the bike and it feels like your not wearing anything. I'm 5"9 and 130 pounds and it fits fine. Its downside is the price and its a large backpack but because of its shape makes its large compartment alittle bit small. But it's quality is good and it had a lifetime warranty :) I love it anyway

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
My work bought me a Targus laptop bag.
It works fine for me.

I will second this. The Targus I have seems solidly built, and I've never had trouble wearing it while riding. It is also generously sized as far as straps go, so I can slip it on easily even with full gear, back protector, and about 50 lbs extra "adipose tissue" :)