Looking for comfort

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, happy spring!
So I have had the bike for a while and love how I fit on it. But now I got a new girl in my life who loves going for rides. I notice that for me to sit up decently straight I am pretty much humping the tank (leaving a lot of the seat behind me open). So when I have my girlfriend on the back, she ends up falling off of the passenger seat and into the area of the drivers seat that my body doesn't take up. This isn't good, its quite annoying. I'm thinking I either need new bars or risers, just a little bit to let me sit further back in the seat. I'm 5,9. Any suggestions? It seems like shes coming for a lot of rides and I need to fix this issue quick.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, happy spring!
So I have had the bike for a while and love how I fit on it. But now I got a new girl in my life who loves going for rides. I notice that for me to sit up decently straight I am pretty much humping the tank (leaving a lot of the seat behind me open). So when I have my girlfriend on the back, she ends up falling off of the passenger seat and into the area of the drivers seat that my body doesn't take up. This isn't good, its quite annoying. I'm thinking I either need new bars or risers, just a little bit to let me sit further back in the seat. I'm 5,9. Any suggestions? It seems like shes coming for a lot of rides and I need to fix this issue quick.

Welcome to the forum,
I'm 5'7" and I have fitted setback plates:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/2987-fz6-rearset-set-back-plates-sale-22.html

They put pour feet up2" and back 2"
the will require you to lengthen you shift connector rod and make a few changes to the lever connector, but with all the parts at hand the mod only takes about 1.5 hours.
There are pictures and instructions from a range of members that have done this-me included!

The mod really makes you feel you are "in" the bike and for me as well put the foot pegs out of the way when I was standing at the lights. Thebig plus though is you can wiggle back into the rear rise in the seat and whoever is on the back will be snug to your back. The riding position is a bit more "racer" you tend to lean into the bike but you butt stays well back. I looked at risers for mine but on a naked ther is no way of routing cables stillbehind the headlight and have enough slack to turn from lock to lock. I think a few members with fairings have found the adding risers has been pretty easy -TownsendFJR1300 I think added them, if he did, Scott will prob chime in.

oso2K is the member that was making/selling the plates- he had a few still for sale about a month back
good luck!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve,

I'm about 5'8", and don't do the "lay down" or lean too forward thing.

I initially put on straight up risers (Gen-Mar) which helped my body position be more upright.

It wasn't quite enough so I went with Gen Mar risers/set backs(see below). I have SS brake lines on now but all the stock lines will still reach. You will have to re-clock the brake line on the master cylinder slightly.

With this set up, I still have a slight lean and am way more comfy.
The x-GF never complained and we didn't have any issues of her sliding forward or me getting intimate with the tank.

Universal Risers : Universal Risers, 7/8" tube type handlebars

Not the best pic, but you get the idea

Last edited:

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the risers and setbacks will help me the most. I don't want to change the geometry of my feet, and I hate leaning over. Luckily for me I work in a place with a large machine shop. I think Ill design my own risers using scrap around the shop. Has anyone just changed only the bars?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only bar change I've seen here is the FZ1 bars.

Their NOT any higher, just less of a bend in the outer angle (less twist on your wrist) and I think slightly MORE forward yet...

*Note, with the above risers/set backs, you cannot anymore, simply raise the fuel tank on the rear pivot (it'll hit the bars). You'll have to remove the rear pivot bolt, get past the bars, then put the rear pivot bolt back in and secure the tank up as usual... Not a big deal BUT if you know your going under the tank for maintenance, either run the tank to maybe 1/3 full or siphon some out. Its very awkward (heavy) with a full tank. (I can do that W/O unplugging any lines/wires, over flow hoses, vent, etc..).

Operationally, no issues..

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely good to know! I'm hoping that these will be something I throw on for a planned weekend ride if anything. I really enjoy the way I feel on the bike, although it probably looks like I'm making love to the tank as I drive by. Just hate hitting the brake and then getting body slammed by my girlfriend slipping off the seat.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A good seat might help. I have the Top Saddlery seat and it's fantastic. Besides the FZ1 handle bars my favorite mod is my seat. It keeps you away from slamming the tank. The comfort is outstanding too. Just my 2 cents worth. :thumbup:

Last edited: