low idle/shut down problem

PKguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody. I bought this bike about a month ago, and sometimes it would shut off after reving high and going back to idle. I thought it was a low idle problem but I could not find an idle adjustment. A couple days ago I dropped it going about 10 mph, all damage seemed to be cosmetic, but the first time driving it again the coolant temp gets up to the 212 top(riding in 60 degree ambient). And after reving above 6k and back to idle it shuts off every time. does anyone know what could be the problem or solution? or has anyone experienced this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

Idle, per Yamaha, should be set around 1350. Yours is likely too low. Turning that screw clockwise increases the idle.

If that doesn't do, a throttle sync may be do... The sync will help with performance, mileage, idle, etc...

** Make sure you fan blade (behind the radiator) turns freely, their known to have a rocks/pebble jamb up the fan and fry the fan when the fan does activate...

BTW, I have mine set at 1,000 but doesn't stall no matter how its ridden. I have it synced at both 1350 and 4,000 RPM and its within 10% of what Yamaha allows (about dead on across the board)...

Last edited:

PKguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I adjusted the idle up to 1k rpm. That seemed to work. But im also gonna sync it and change the spark plugs, as its at the 8k mile book recommendation. Thanks guys!