Main beam intermittent, dipped okay!

Cwodavids

Reaction score
Visit site
When I am riding my 2010 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer the main beam randomly stops working. The main beam light does not come on and the blue light in the rev counter doesnt light up. Just as randomly as it stops working, it comes back on!

I have tried the connections, wiggling the wires, turning full-lock to full-lock and riding over bumps but I cant make the fault occur on demand. I have opened up the switch on the handlebars and there doesnt appear to be anything obviously wrong.

Any ideas? I use the bike to commute for 40 miles along country roads so need main beam, especially in winter!

Thanks

Dave

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I am riding my 2010 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer the main beam randomly stops working. The main beam light does not come on and the blue light in the rev counter doesnt light up. Just as randomly as it stops working, it comes back on!

I have tried the connections, wiggling the wires, turning full-lock to full-lock and riding over bumps but I cant make the fault occur on demand. I have opened up the switch on the handlebars and there doesnt appear to be anything obviously wrong.

Any ideas? I use the bike to commute for 40 miles along country roads so need main beam, especially in winter!

Thanks

Dave

Is the "main beam" the HIGH BEAM???? (usually referred to low beam or high beam)

Sounds like the bulb has in intermediate short. It may actually look good once out, but vib's, etc,
COULD very well be loosing the electrical connection..

You may be able to "smack", by hand/palm the area the bulb is in (while on high beam) and watch it fail...

If so, back to basic's- pull and replace the bulb.(do NOT TOUCH with bare fingers).

Please post back what you find.

Cwodavids

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the "main beam" the HIGH BEAM???? (usually referred to low beam or high beam)

Sounds like the bulb has in intermediate short. It may actually look good once out, but vib's, etc,
COULD very well be loosing the electrical connection..

You may be able to "smack", by hand/palm the area the bulb is in (while on high beam) and watch it fail...

If so, back to basic's- pull and replace the bulb.(do NOT TOUCH with bare fingers).

Please post back what you find.

It is just the main beam (usually referred to as main beam and dipped in the UK) I have tried banging the headlamp itself with
To try and replicate the fault but to no avail. I might just invest the £7 and buy a new bulb and see where that takes me. Thanks for the input.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is just the main beam (usually referred to as main beam and dipped in the UK) I have tried banging the headlamp itself with
To try and replicate the fault but to no avail. I might just invest the £7 and buy a new bulb and see where that takes me. Thanks for the input.

The bulb is most likely the issue.

Please post back how it goes..

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any news [MENTION=28196]Cwodavids[/MENTION] ? I had a similar problem not long ago, changed the bulb but that didn't help. Strangely enough when I got around to do some resistance and volts checks the problem had disappeared, and everything was working fine again :confused: I was just wondering how yours was at the moment.

Cwodavids

Reaction score
Visit site
Any news [MENTION=28196]Cwodavids[/MENTION] ? I had a similar problem not long ago, changed the bulb but that didn't help. Strangely enough when I got around to do some resistance and volts checks the problem had disappeared, and everything was working fine again :confused: I was just wondering how yours was at the moment.

Sorry for the delay in replying. The fault is now gone after replacing the bulb; I guess there must have been a short in the bulb. Only issue now is that the main light pattern is about 15" in front of the bike! My dipped light shines further than the main beam does.... Frustrating is an understatement, lol.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the light socket(s) are not in fully. The light pattern wouldn't drop that low with just a bulb change.

Yank it, re-install making sure everything is fully seated and the retainer clip is seated properly..