Making crash cages/race rails for forum members.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool idea Noodle. I might spring for the track version. I'll need to see what they look like.

Sliders are a great idea but I'm not 100% on them. It appears to me that that the slider itself and the bolt must be of very high quality in order for them to work correctly.

I'll stay tuned! :thumbup:

kyle_ott

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, im almost NEVER on here but i had one custom made for me about a year ago. i paid 150 for his time and about 60 for my own material. here is how it looks. Im selling my FZ in a week or so so its up for sale if anyone wants it. e-mail me though as im hardly on here [email protected]

n503175574_643725_5710.jpg

n503175574_643726_6462.jpg

n503175574_643723_4216.jpg

i havent mounted it since i painted my bike, but i think it would look awesome.
here is my bike-for sale ;) im just taking best offer on it
n503175574_1073766_7541.jpg

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
killer, this is kind of off/ kind of on topic.... what bolts were you using in your sliders? the ones that came with your fs6 sliders? the reason I ask is (I have fs6 also) My harware was incorrect from fs6... they sent me two long bolts. After waiting for a month for the new ones they "sent"... I decided to buy my own and I upgraded to class 12.9 (from 10.9 supplied from fs6) do you think a higher grade bolt would have helped your slider problem? Do you think it may be a good idea to offer them with your cage/rails? If you buy them in bulk the price difference will be minimal but the higher grade could mean the difference in damage and no damage... just a thought.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
A 12.9 bolt is stronger than a grade 10.9 bolt, but there is always a trade off when talking about bolts and metals in general. A 12.9 bolt has a slightly higher yield strength than a 10.9, but it is also more brittle and prone to fatigue.

A new development has occured that I thought would be nice to share with you guys: I met a friend of a friend yesterday that told me his parents own a machine shop complete with a CNC lathe and a CNC mill and a TIG welder. This is fantastic news because now I can forget trying to design this thing around the FS6 sliders and now I can get him to make the parts for me. Apparently he has been running the machines since he was 12 years old, so he is probably pretty good at that stuff by now.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
do you think that would have made it snap instead of bend? Motovation uses the 12.9 in their sliders.... thats where i got the bolts from (and they were allen key instead of hex head so they match better) :D

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the length of the slider really. A longer slider and bolt will more likely put more torque on the bolt in a drop than a shorter one. From what I can tell, the Motivation sliders are very short and therefore the pressure on the bolts will be low. Unfortunately, a short frame slider means that more parts of the bike are going to touch down in a crash than a long slider.

Martinezmr89

Reaction score
Visit site
I would be interested in fact I joined this forum because of this post so if you can get get a final project out and a final prize I will consider it further!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man! I just put on shogun carbon sliders and a powerbronze lower cowl because I couldnt find a cage I liked....any chance the cage would work with my sliders?

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Just because I fabricate some levers for you guys, you think its ok to dig up a bunch of old threads where I proposed ideas? :BLAA:

I'll think about it.