Might need starter anyone selling or know what will work on an 08

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I should know for sure later today, but I am fairly certain I will need to replace the starter on my 08 fz6 given the problems I am having Anyone have one for sale? The dealer listed a rebuilt one for $165 which seems slightly high. I have seen an 04 FZ6 for sale on ebay as well as one for a fz6r at a good price around $30. The fz6r one looks a little different, but the 04 fz6 one looks the same. When I checked bike bandit, they made it seem as if the 04 fz6 starter would not be compatible, but the fz6r one would be. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The part number I found for the starter motor is the same for S-1 and S-2 models so any year FZ6 starter motor should work. 2005 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6TC) Starting Motor | Ron Ayers You may just need new brushes, Be careful because I notice that at Ron Ayer's web site the starter is listed as the sprag clutch assembly and the starter it self is listed as the starter motor. so if you by a used one make sure your are getting the starter motor.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
The brushes were all used up. Motor appears alright, so will first try the brushes and see where it leaves me as I can bump start it until the brushes come in. Thanks again and I'll post and update once the brushes have been replaced.