Mileage Problems

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 05 FZ6 Black/Cerulean with these mods.

1. Scorpion Exhaust
2. K&N Air Filter
3. Airbox Mod
4. C1 & C2 values +24 to each
5. Power Commander III
6. -1 Front Sprocket, +2 Rear Sprocket w/520 Chain

The Bike runs EXCELLENT!

The only problem is I'm getting about 25mpg now and before the modding I was getting 40+mpg.

Do you think that those mods should cost me 15mpg?

Have any of you seen such drastic mileage changes?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! "Long Time No Hear!"

Maybe return the CO settings. I'm wondering if you really need to adjust those settings if you still retained you CAT pipe. I don't think your sprocket change would change your mileage that much. Reset your computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and let the computer start to relearn the sensors.

Where your CO adjustments done on a dyno or sniffer?

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I can think of that could cause a mileage decrease from the sprockets is that you are now cruising at a higher rpm. (not sure how much higher as I have not done it). But certainly the higher you're revving the bike the more fuel you're going to burn through.

Second, I would check into the pcIII if it wasn't mapped on a dyno to make sure you're not running too rich.

Other than that I would be doing the same thing you're doing:D Good luck

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also make sure your bike has had the TPS changed. It was a recall on the 05's. One of the symptoms is poor gas mileage!
Just realized you have a PClll! Why the C1/C2 adjustments? You should be able to put those adjusts back to OEM spec. Reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Upload the map for the PClll for your pipe and air filter configuration. Nothing beats a dyno with a good tuner so you have a map that's made for your bike.

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Changing your sprockets will affect your odo, I believe it shows fewer miles than you've actually traveled. Even a speedohealer won't fix this; you'll have to come up with a correction factor from a GPS and do the math yourself.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
-1 counter tooth is equal to almost +3 rear. So, you changed equal to +5 rear. That would account for a big mpg loss. Add in riding more aggressively and 15mph loss seems reasonable. I know that cruising my bone stock 2005 FZ6 gets 52mph. Riding it 1-2 gears lower and tapping into the real powerband, MPG drops to 40. So your changes, more aggressive riding, and the fact that the bike is running great seems reasonable to drop 15mpg.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, I would love to see what those mods feel like. I'll bet it feels so much racier. Does it feel like a different bike?

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe return the CO settings. I'm wondering if you really need to adjust those settings if you still retained you CAT pipe. I don't think your sprocket change would change your mileage that much. Reset your computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and let the computer start to relearn the sensors.

I tried to return the C1&C2 settings back to original and thought that with the PCIII the fuel mixture would be fine, but the engine was really fuel starved and could not respond agressively when I went open throttle at high rpm speeds.

I returned the settings to +24 to both the C1&C2 and then she ran fantastic again. I'm just surprised that I lost 15mpg even though she runs GREAT!

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, I would love to see what those mods feel like. I'll bet it feels so much racier. Does it feel like a different bike?
She not only feels likea different bike she totally sounds likea different bike, earplugs are a must.

The gearing was the biggest feel difference, she always is more in the rpm band more of the time.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site

It has been a long time, since I pretty much had my bike as modded out as far as I was willing to go, I spent less time on the forum.

I need to get her dynoed, I just can't get myself to shell out the cash.

She really runs and sounds GREAT! She just guzzles the petrol.