MM93 Superhuman?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, saw that right after my low-side. Guess I should have saved it! :rolleyes:

Definitely alien.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW! :bow::bow::bow:

With the front wheel being all crossed, that's nuts!!!!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is some hectic stuff!

Have a read here... page 139...

Cycle News - Cycle News 2014 Issue 33 August 19 2014

For those that can't be bothered, here's the relevant excerpt (but read the online mag anyway!)

With hindsight, the throttle control and slide management that had become second nature coincided with a time when horsepower was vaulting ahead of not only chassis and suspension technology but more especially tyres. When they ran out of grip the tail-steerers - those who could abstract the rooster tail - came into their own.

This technique is exciting to watch. It looks as though the rider is crashing, and indeed sometimes he is. But the best ones are those who go further into the crash while still surviving.

The most conspicuous practitioner, the one who crashed most without falling off, was Freddie Spencer in his prime. The guy whose "youngest-ever" records have now all been snatched away by Marquez. A contemporary rival told me how he would follow Spencer on the warm-up lap, amazed to watch him sliding the front, crashing but not crashing. When the race began, his front tyre was already fully warmed up. That's why he won so many races by grabbing an unassailable lead on the first lap.

Funnily enough that was exactly what Jorge Lorenzo said about Marquez during a round robin of rivals' opinions at Indy: "you see him crash, but he doesn't fall off".

Last edited:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
That is some hectic stuff!

Have a read here... page 139...

Cycle News - Cycle News 2014 Issue 33 August 19 2014

For those that can't be bothered, here's the relevant excerpt (but read the online mag anyway!)

With hindsight, the throttle control and slide management that had become second nature coincided with a time when horsepower was vaulting ahead of not only chassis and suspension technology but more especially tyres. When they ran out of grip the tail-steerers - those who could abstract the rooster tail - came into their own.

This technique is exciting to watch. It looks as though the rider is crashing, and indeed sometimes he is. But the best ones are those who go further into the crash while still surviving.

The most conspicuous practitioner, the one who crashed most without falling off, was Freddie Spencer in his prime. The guy whose "youngest-ever" records have now all been snatched away by Marquez. A contemporary rival told me how he would follow Spencer on the warm-up lap, amazed to watch him sliding the front, crashing but not crashing. When the race began, his front tyre was already fully warmed up. That's why he won so many races by grabbing an unassailable lead on the first lap.

Funnily enough that was exactly what Jorge Lorenzo said about Marquez during a round robin of rivals' opinions at Indy: "you see him crash, but he doesn't fall off".

Dag, if I would have known that years ago, that all you need to do to win is crash on the warm-up lap, I could have won a lot more races :D I did it twice, both times in the rain and both times I thought for sure I was not going to save it. Pretty cool. MM does it almost every race and it seems like almost every turn.

Good stuff!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's not forget it helps to start somewhat early in life to get really good at it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iByjBSljfM[/ame]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's like drifting, turn right to go left....in MotoGP you crash to win :D

Not sure we can pull it off tho (600cc Fizzer owners), as the - "when in doubt, power out" aspect was not installed on our bikes! :(

Must be instinct for these guys tho - when unstable on two wheels, shift to one wheel! :thumbup: