Money wasted on Trash conversion kit?

MotoJays

Reaction score
Visit site
new member here so sorry for reeking of noob. Just bought this eBay kit and I know someone has fallen into the same hole.
Bought the bike in the last mos and have slowly been working on it but really wanted to get rid of the fairing ASAP so I got this:

please tell me I didn’t put my money in the trash. Thanks for going easy on me all!!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the FZ forum. There have been other members over the years that have used that kit or ones similar to it. The feedback is usually the same; it’s junk but workable. In my opinion (and the direction I went) its best to source your own parts.

So I don’t think you threw away your money, but it could have been better spent. Do some searching in this section of the forum and you’ll read what others have done to make that kit work.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was a recent victim of the dreaded conversion kit. It didn't turn out too badly, but I ultimately replaced it with a round, steel headlight bucket, machined aluminum brackets, and LED headlight and indicators. The only piece still in use is the poorly constructed metal bracket holding the speedo/tach. Go ahead and use it as long as you have it, but it will take some perseverance to get it installed. The biggest problem is the lack of space for all of the extra length in the wiring. Depending on the specific kit you'll also lose running lights, and hi/low functionality. Those issues will have to be dealt with separately.

Someday I will make a post with sources and steps for doing the conversion without those kits. I'm still fooling around with mine, never being quite satisfied with the result.

MotoJays

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers thanks for the response, as I found your post right after posting mine.
I just don’t understand how it can be so fucking off. I’m dreading even taking off my oem fairing if I can’t even figure out how it remotely goes together just with it in my hands. Just putting the turn signals in the plastic side piece was like pulling teeth.
At a standstill forsure. I want the mod very bad, but I don’t want to spend an additional $100 headache and deal with pulling out my hair. Also dunno if it’s worth an attempted return

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once you get the front end exposed and you can put the metal bracket in place, it will make more sense. Until then, yeah, it seems like it won't work. For mine, I was only able to get two of the bolts in that mount the bracket to the triples. The last hole wasn't tapped for a bolt; the US model that never came naked must not have had that. I could have tapped it, but just skipped it.
After that, the big challenge was getting the wires coiled up and stuffed into the tiny amount of available space and then cramming the headlight on. I could only get one bolt on each side that holds the headlight shroud on to the bracket and headlight. It worked fine like that, but like I said, I eventually changed it to a custom setup. I think the proper way to do this would be to eliminate the extra length in the wiring if you are up for it.

MotoJays

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, took off my fairing today, and tried to test fit the bracket that I received in my kit... still not a half a clue as to how it’s supposed to assemble to the bike.
wondering if you took anything from the fairing and left it on the bike? (Aside from the speedometer obviously)

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
two of the bolts are up under the top triple, and one is at the center bottom. you probably have to flex the bracket quite a bit to get it in place. If your's is like mine, you'll have a hell of a time getting the gauge cluster to mount to the bracket as well. Keep in mind everything will be moved much closer to the bar when you are trying to visualize. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance, but I'm sure after enough cursing you'll figure it out.