Monoshock Preload

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Is our operators manual incorrect?

It tells me basically, as I understand it, that by adjusting the monoshock preload setting to a higher number [say 4 vs 3] it would stiffen up the shock. But when I do that from the default setting 3 to 4 the ride feels more soft.

I would like to stiffen up the ride when I have a pillion on board for less sag.

Maybe I misunderstand what the term preload is?

W

wrightme43

I believe so.
Preload does not effect the shocks stiffness at all.

Here is how it works.
You want your shock absorber to be in, or close to the middle of its travel as you ride.
By adjusting the preload you are changing the precompression on the the spring.

For example.
Say you put it to one.
You get on the bike and it sags deeply. The shock will not have a lot of travel to react to bumps.
Say you put it to five.
You get on the bike and it stands very tall in the rear.
The shock will not have a lot of travel to deal with dips.

You change the preload when you change the wieght or when you are going to be drag racing.
I am 155lbs.
When I ride with a passenger or with my saddle bags I put it to 4
When I drag I put it to 5 and lower the rear air pressure. I know there will be no dips, and I want max travel on the shock pushing the rear tire into the ground.
When I ride by myself I put it to 3.
Hope this helps.

Buy Total Control by Lee Parks and read it thru. He is a much much much much explainer than I am.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Now this makes sense. For some reason I was not thinking it that way... probably from my old days of riding my '82 V45 Sabre where using a higher number meant a stiffer ride.

And as you stated, the bike did feel taller at the higher setting before the pillion was aboard. It just felt odd that there was more travel in the spring, obvious except to me, doing what it was suppose to do.

Thanks!

W

wrightme43

More than welcome, and just in case I missed you.
Welcome Welcome, Glad you are here. Please keep coming back.

re-pete

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned something new today, thanks. I've been cranking around with shock set to 5 thinking.. hmmmm.. sure is wobbly when you launch out of a corner on rough pavement.
I'm 200lbs think I'll adjust to 3 or 4.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned something new today, thanks. I've been cranking around with shock set to 5 thinking.. hmmmm.. sure is wobbly when you launch out of a corner on rough pavement.
I'm 200lbs think I'll adjust to 3 or 4.

Not to try to confuse things here but with mine set on the factory setting (3) it seemed more wonky, especially in sweepers and dips in the road. I went up to 4 first to see if that would take care of it and it helped some but I had to set the preload to 5 to get rid of all the wobbles. I think it depends on your riding style as to how much preload you use. I'm 195lbs and 5 is my preferred setting but my not be the right preload for other riders in our weight range.

re-pete

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried changing it , but think i'll stick with a 5. 3-4 felt wobbley as well, I used a heavier fork oil, perhaps that might be the issue. Over all bike handles well considering it does not have an adjustable front end. I'm just being fussy.
I tend to ride on the aggressive side and the roads here are bumpy.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I may have asked this question before in another thread but alas I never saw the answer :eek:

I have not adjusted my preload at all from new but feel my bike is a little bouncy at times for my liking ... I am only 150lbs + kit and would require a little stiffer ride .. What effect would upping it to 4 have on the bikes performance in corners etc ?

UK roads can be often very up n down :)

I have read all other answers in this thread and Steve Wrights seems to make sense but I'd be interested in to what effect if any some of you have experienced by adjusting it ?

:Sport:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I may have asked this question before in another thread but alas I never saw the answer :eek:

I have not adjusted my preload at all from new but feel my bike is a little bouncy at times for my liking ... I am only 150lbs + kit and would require a little stiffer ride .. What effect would upping it to 4 have on the bikes performance in corners etc ?

UK roads can be often very up n down :)

I have read all other answers in this thread and Steve Wrights seems to make sense but I'd be interested in to what effect if any some of you have experienced by adjusting it ?

:Sport:

Have you tried fannying about with it? That's what I did..

Being a short-arse I tried adjusting down to 1 to see if I could get my feet grounded flat. It made a slight difference to ride height, but the bike was like a barrow full of jelly on cornering.

I cranked it the other way up to 5 & it pogoed round corners. So, I moved it back to 3 & it's smashing.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried fannying about with it? That's what I did..

Being a short-arse I tried adjusting down to 1 to see if I could get my feet grounded flat. It made a slight difference to ride height, but the bike was like a barrow full of jelly on cornering.

I cranked it the other way up to 5 & it pogoed round corners. So, I moved it back to 3 & it's smashing.

Have not messed as yet ... I have 5 days off work now though so I might have to experiment ;)

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
raise the rear and lower the forks through the tripple to get the bike to turn faster cause you're reducing the rack and trail. spring tension is only effecting the swing arm geometry and amount of travel available in the shock. the dampening, i.e. the shock oil and valving will control the nature of the up and down movement. the stock shock, like the forks moves too fast and needs heavier oil.

S

sportrider

raise the rear and lower the forks through the tripple to get the bike to turn faster cause you're reducing the rack and trail. spring tension is only effecting the swing arm geometry and amount of travel available in the shock. the dampening, i.e. the shock oil and valving will control the nature of the up and down movement. the stock shock, like the forks moves too fast and needs heavier oil.
how much did you raise the forks(forks sticking out of top clamp) in the clamps? any negitive side effects?

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
just play around with it in small increments. i got mine at 14mm now. i can get on the gas sooner at the track cause the bike holds a line tighter and it IS noticable.