Motodynamics Integrated tail light question

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went for the Motodynamics Integrated rear taillight and added the Flush mount front LED (the R1 version - which fits almost perfectly). I had also thought ahead and ordered the Flasher from superbrightleds.com.

With the relay, I was hoping to get the correct flash rate with all the LED lights and NOT use the load resistors...

That particular configuration and a couple variations... and 3 10A tail fuses later - and I'm using the load resistors on the front turn signals as well as the integrated taillight. Not particularly happy with that setup, I guess I need a different/better flasher relay for the additional LEDs?
The electronic flasher relay that you ordered should be no problem. The will generally handle a much wide load range over the factory unit.The flasher relay is either defective or there's a short somewhere. Recheck your work and if it's just a question of the flasher relay, have the defective flasher relay replaced.:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried quite a few different configurations, none worked at all. relay says 10A max on the side?
Thinking about it further, even if the relay were defective it does not have a way two path high current to ground. so. If it were shorting there would have to be a short on the output side of the relay. If the original relay is connected to the same plug it should be doing the same thing. It should be causing the fuse to blow so I suspect that there is another problem. And yes the electronic relays can generally handle 10 amps. That would be about 130 watts! I don't think your LEDs are any where near that current draw. I bet there is a short!

Sent from Moto's Motorola

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
So you've got me wondering... maybe I inadvertently shorted to ground. I literally chopped the resistor piece off the motodynamic harness so I could use the factory style connectors. Maybe that whole tail light already has a ground and I was providing an extra path (short) directly to ground?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So you've got me wondering... maybe I inadvertently shorted to ground. I literally chopped the resistor piece off the motodynamic harness so I could use the factory style connectors. Maybe that whole tail light already has a ground and I was providing an extra path (short) directly to ground?

Yes the Motodynamic should already have a wire that is the ground attached to a black wire from the FZ6. :)

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep... Just cut the resistors out and removed the pins for the black wires. Installed my LED friendly flasher (the one you linked) and everything works flawlessly now! It's really nice not having that whole wire bundle crammed in the side pod too!

Such a silly mistake to make - but you set me straight, Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep... Just cut the resistors out and removed the pins for the black wires. Installed my LED friendly flasher (the one you linked) and everything works flawlessly now! It's really nice not having that whole wire bundle crammed in the side pod too!

Such a silly mistake to make - but you set me straight, Thanks!

Por nada! :) Those resister bundles can get you confused. Never did like em. :shakehead:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Could anyone advise if I would have issues splicing BikeVis Red Bullets after having installed the Motodynamic Tail Light? I have the white forward facing daytime running lights and really like them. Would like a bit of additional light in the rear.