Motor/Mountain Bike combo

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my FZ6 but I also really enjoy mountain biking. I'm fortunate enough that I'm less than an hour away from some great mountain bike trails just off the highway. Soon they will be good to go! My question is...what are the options for possibly transporting my mountain bike with the motorbike? My friends have already laughed at me for even asking this question, so hopefully y'all will be nice to me with your replies :) Also...to those who do ride both motor and pedal power bikes in the same day - what do you think is better to do first, and why?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know of any way to take you bike on your bike.... I guess you can always get a trailer or sidecar and mount some racks on it. :tard:

As for which to do first, I would certainly ride my moto first. I usually get pretty spent after a good mountain bike ride. Riding a moto tired is a bad idea. Your reflexes are slower, your muscles are tired and slower to respond, and that makes for a dangerous ride.

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride both road and mountain pedal bikes and a fizzer, and while the question has entered my mind I never really gave it any thought. I suppose there would be no way to carry the bike completely but if you were to get a givi top case rack (or comparable) and mod it to accept a fork mount, then you could essentially trailer your bike allowing the back wheel to roll along the ground. You then could use some zip ties to fasten the front wheel to the frame of your MTB and presto, there you have it. I suppose you could wear everything else under your motorbike gear, but you are going to need a lockable case on your bike that is big enough to put your jacket and pants into. If you end up doing this. you really have to post some pics.

I am so into homemade bike racks. Here is a pic of the one I put on my old toyota camry. I got many a standing ovation at trailheads all over the southeastern US.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride bicycles, too. I've long desired a way to carry a bike on my moto.

There's a guy in the area who's got a rig on his bmw. It's the sort of set-up that one of the previous poster's suggested. He's got a base of some sort, such as a givi case rack and then he's, somehow, attached a car roof rack set-up onto it. I don't believe that it's a full-length rack as, if I recall correctly, it doesn't extend all that far off of the back. I've never seen the thing up close... I know that it can be done, I'm just not that adventurous/ambitious. Sorry, no pics.

If you figure it out, I would love to see what you come up with.

As for the riding gear question, I'd carry a long cable and just lock all of that to the bike. Though there would be the question of how to lock one's boots to the bundle...

robbijer

Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer I saw a guy ride by me on something like a Honda CBR and he had attached to it a mountain bike which was taken apart into several pieces, but he got it all on their. I wish I would have seen him in a parking lot or something so I could have taken a picture it looked really crazy and probably dangerous, there were parts strapped on all over the place, I was quite shocked!

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3600-a.jpg

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
A colleague of mine used a setup as mentioned above on his Honda Pan European. Looks like that's the way to go. Please keep us posted on the options for the FZ6.

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
The above killboy pic of the bmw with mtb is totally awesome. It looks like that setup would be great for a long distance transport. However, if you look closely at the pic, he has his chain removed. If you were just riding out to a trail for a one day trip, that would be a lot of set up and tear down time. I suppose you could just take some shrink wrap and wrap the detensioned chain to the frame of the bike and not have to mess with the chain tool.

That pic has my wheels turning now. I might have to work on this myself.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
SRAM Powerlink is really quite easy to take on and off. Just gets your hands a little dirty from working the chain.

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain is no problem- Pedros makes a chain holder that snaps into the right dropout & keeps tension on the chain. I use one when transporting bikes in the car, and when they are on the rack being cleaned. It works well whether or not your have a rear derailleur.

Of course, maybe the guy in the first pic is a downhill mtn biker, and doesn't use a chain...