Motorcycle BT system

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day Guys and Gals,
I'm looking at buying a motorcycle BT system in the near future.

I've looked at the Sena SMH10, the BT Multi-Interphone system, and there are some dirt cheap options as well.

Basically, I want/need multi device functionality. i.e. GPS, Phone and intercom with other riders all at the same time. (some of the units on offer act as 5 device hubs etc)

Any personal recommendations, especially with links, greatly appreciated.

My thanks in advance,
Rick

SMH10 gets my vote. I've had one for almost a year, and i love it. Admittedly, I have not used it with GPS, but I've used it with my Droid X for both music and calls, as well as wired iPod and intercom, and I love it. Previously I had a more expensive Cardo Scala Rider (older model), and had nothing but trouble, but YMMV.

I have no personal experience, but my research has lead me to decide on the scala rider g4. I hope to get one this season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

i am currently using BT Multi-Interphone system myself. They work "ok" up to 65mph then the wind overpowers the speakers. Been looking at the Sena SMH10 recently when i found out that they have a slightly cheaper SMH5 coming out mid april that is now top of the list!

Sena Bluetooth

good luck
Garrett

im actually waiting for the Sena SMH5 to come back on stock at revzilla for $110:rockon:

I've been using a Sena SMH10 for almost 2 years now.

They have been improving the unit (newer versions are firmware upgradable).
They recently came out with a multi units hub, I have not tried it.

As I pair the unit with my phone, I can have several things going at the same time.

Great product overall.

I have not updated this post as I was trying to keep up with my experiences with this unit, either way I hope you find it useful:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/31431-my-experience-using-sena-smh10.html

Gday Rick,
I've just bought a SMH10. After looking and researching for a number of months I dropped some cash on the Sena SMH10. (And no, I haven't tried any of the other brands, so all your getting is biased opinion here!)
Firmware upgradable - Should be upgraded soon (next few weeks).
Syncs via BT easily to my iPhone 3GS. Remembers it, no re-synching needed.
Plays tracks (if wanted...) and the phone quality is clear. I've got 2bros with the tips on and while the exhaust sound is fairly loud I get fairly clear communication with it. I tried it with ear plugs (Ive got some earmold customs I use for work) and speech is still intelligible and at a decent level.
The rider to rider communication is as advertised also. I get about 1-2 sec lag before connecting to the other unit, 400-500m range in built up areas, and close to a 1km line of sight. But very little, if any, lag while talking.
Simple & easy to use. Chargeable whilst on the bike, and using it.
Overall its been pretty good stuff eh!
Cheers,
Bob.

Heres a review from webbikeworld.

I've used the Sena SMH10 for 2 years now and really dig it. I have it paired to my iPhone 4S and can send emails while riding - not that I recommend making a habit out of that, but riding is the only time when my mind is clear and I come up with great ideas so I email them to myself so I don't forget.

I've used it as a phone bluetooth and it's good until about 65mph (dependent upon your windscreen, helmet, and clothing I'd imagine.

I've used it on a weekend trip with a friend as an intercom system - that was really great - very clear, loud, easy to use and intuitive. The battery could last longer, but I have a power outlet on my FZ6 so we just traded off when the battery would get low. One thing that's lame is the warning when the battery is going is very short - so if you hear it, it'll die in less than 5min. We used the headsets in DRENCHING rain and they worked fine.

As for durability, you might want to read this:
Monday Q&A: Sena SMH-10 vs. Cardo Scala Rider G4 | Ain't No Pillion

I've had similar troubles once or twice with the pins not lining up to the contacts, but it was easy to fiddle with and move the rubber up a bit or clean the contacts a bit. For all the benefits, this seems like a minor annoyance and not a deal breaker.

I would purchase again. and again. and again.

FYI - the cheaper SMH5 I think it almost identical except that the intercom range is much less, so if you're thinking about talking to another rider, consider the SMH10. Alternatively, you could call them on their mobile phone at any distance (provided you have service - some of the best motoroads don't!) but the quality and convenience doesn't compare to the intercom mode.

Good luck!

I've used the Sena SMH10 for 2 years now and really dig it. I have it paired to my iPhone 4S and can send emails while riding - not that I recommend making a habit out of that, but riding is the only time when my mind is clear and I come up with great ideas so I email them to myself so I don't forget.

I've used it as a phone bluetooth and it's good until about 65mph (dependent upon your windscreen, helmet, and clothing I'd imagine.

I've used it on a weekend trip with a friend as an intercom system - that was really great - very clear, loud, easy to use and intuitive. The battery could last longer, but I have a power outlet on my FZ6 so we just traded off when the battery would get low. One thing that's lame is the warning when the battery is going is very short - so if you hear it, it'll die in less than 5min. We used the headsets in DRENCHING rain and they worked fine.

As for durability, you might want to read this:
Monday Q&A: Sena SMH-10 vs. Cardo Scala Rider G4 | Ain't No Pillion

I've had similar troubles once or twice with the pins not lining up to the contacts, but it was easy to fiddle with and move the rubber up a bit or clean the contacts a bit. For all the benefits, this seems like a minor annoyance and not a deal breaker.

I would purchase again. and again. and again.

FYI - the cheaper SMH5 I think it almost identical except that the intercom range is much less, so if you're thinking about talking to another rider, consider the SMH10. Alternatively, you could call them on their mobile phone at any distance (provided you have service - some of the best motoroads don't!) but the quality and convenience doesn't compare to the intercom mode.

Good luck!

after reading that article, i am even more convinced that the Scala rider G4 is the model i will get when i finally pull the trigger.

Thanks!

I have a pair of SMH10's, and i have not had one single problem with either of them, since i got them about 14 months ago....very simple to use, great speakers, great phone reception, decent noise cancelling microphone, easy to pair up with other devices...

Great quality kit.

:thumbup:

One thing to note is the SMH 5 doesn't have VOX, while the 10 does. I am not sure if you SMH10 users utilize VOX but it seems a lot more convenient. I am no longer in the market for an intercom but i was leaning towards the 10 because of the VOX feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about trying the SMH10 for a while now, but I'm not looking for bike-to-bike communication. Rather, what I really want to do is pair it with my iPhone and be able to listen to music while riding. I've tried earbuds, but the wires are a mess and I always seem to get them caught in my jacket and start pulling one of the buds out of my ear (which is REALLY annoying).

It sounds like the SMH5 would be a good way to try this out. I wish it had the AUX jack to plug an mp3 player directly in, but I like that you can leave the boom mike off and still use the headset. If there were a way to detach the boom mike from the SMH10, I'd probably go with that one (as I just don't need it).

Maybe once it comes back in stock at Revzilla, I'll give it a try.

If there were a way to detach the boom mike from the SMH10, I'd probably go with that one (as I just don't need it).

The cradle (or base that attaches to the helmet) that comes with the SMH10 is a standard one. You can change it and, if I remember correctly, there are units where you can connect the microphone or not, as I understand would be your preference.

Go to their website and look among the accessories.

I got an additional cradle where i have a smaller microphone velcroed to the helmet directly (I have a full face helmet), no boom just a wire, I don't remember if in the unit I have there is a connector for the microphone or the cables are built in.

One thing to note is the SMH 5 doesn't have VOX, while the 10 does. I am not sure if you SMH10 users utilize VOX but it seems a lot more convenient. I am no longer in the market for an intercom but i was leaning towards the 10 because of the VOX feature.

I have actually never used the VOX feature so far, I keep on thinking I'll give it a try but that has not happened yet. This might be a good reminder to start experimenting with it!!!

I use the scala rider Q4 and I really like it, great range and clarity. However I have not paired with anything besides my phone.

how much did u pay? if u dont mind me asking...

pm me if u want

I'd like to know this as well. Same here if you didn't want to reveal that info in the open. PM me if you'd like.

Thanks for the info, btw! I didn't realize they had that different base unit. It looks like that's exactly what I'd need.

I'd like to know this as well. Same here if you didn't want to reveal that info in the open. PM me if you'd like.

Thanks for the info, btw! I didn't realize they had that different base unit. It looks like that's exactly what I'd need.

I got mine as part of a Sena contest, for some reason I believe I saw it among the $35-$45 price range, but I'm not certain. Mine particularly won't allow to disconnect the microphone and it has aux audio input, I just took these pictures, I hope it helps.

I have a UCLEAR set, it works like magic to connect to bluetooth and I've been so happy with it. It doesn't have a boom either which is nice. They have this military technology that let's you talk without a mic. It's comparable in price to the Scala models. UCLEAR STORE - UCLEAR STORE

Back