Mountain Bikers show your ride.

It's been awhile. I also have the original Manitou DH fork with 3+ inch travel, alot back then. I need to take it back to the shop for some maintainance.

2004 Giant Warp DS1, 5" of travel in the rear, 4" in the front, soon to be 5" all around, Sette 7 F/X2 carbon bars, WTB Speed V saddle, Primo Supertenderizer pedals, Kenda 2.3" Kinetics Stick-E compound tires. The fork finally decided to blow a seal after five years of log hopping.

Pretty nice creekside trails for central kansas
SH102744.jpg

SH102741.jpg

Me, taking a break for picture
SH102742.jpg

Couple of tourists
SH102768.jpg

Specialized Enduro Pro FSR, about eight years old. I've never done much of anything to it except replace a worn out drive train and the Hayes disc brakes have been problematic over time.

I really enjoy mtn biking (and road biking) but the bike itself holds no allure to me. Unlike a motorcycle, where I spend lots of time pondering (and occasionally implementing) mods, reading comparisons, reading reviews, as far as a bicycle, I am not interested in it at all. I have no desire to do fancy tweaks to it. I'd never hang out on a Specialized forum. I think the higher degree of risk associated with motorcycling is a bond that makes a motorcycle forum more of a tight knit community than most biking communities would be.

That video of coming down the Alps was unreal! I'd never seen a helmet-cam on a mtn bike before. It looked like it was at 3x speed to me. I can't believe how fast they were going, given those tight turns, switchbacks, and precipitous dropoffs. Also looks like trail courtesy does not thrive in that thin air. They probably rode four or five people off the trail in their ride down. That was a cool video, but doesn't justify acting like an a-hole to everyone else on it too.

The funny thing is that I did a 72km/h (44m/ph) on gravel with bicycle riding gear but when I'm on a motorcycle I wear much more... Maybe have not fall hard enough when I was younger...

Here's my babies. I've been riding since I was a little kid, and while I love riding the FZ6, I'd choose a day at Northstar, Pacifica, Downieville, Tahoe, etc..., on my MTB everytime!

Chumba EVO
leftsideoutside9-23-08.jpg

DJ rig
outsideleft.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to mount the MTB to the moto.

Cheers!:iconbeer:

Last edited:
I have a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Disc 120, here is a stock photo:

05StumpjumperFSRExpert120_Blk_l.jpg

I have modded it with Alex Vectra D2 wheelset, IRC Serac XC 2.1 Kevlar tires, XTR shifter pods, and the fork is a TALAS RLC (upgraded from RL under warranty by my LBS :cheer: )

Last edited:
I've got a Trek 8000
trek_8000.jpg

The only mods are cf bar-ends :p I've also got a remote lock for the shocks that isn't on the one in the pic. Other than that it's the same.

I'm a bit of a santa cruz junky. Though my vpfree is on the block to be sold now and the v10 will be shortly. I'm just not racing any longer so don't need such long travel bikes.

The one bike missing from the set is a gary fisher 293.

I think there's plenty of risk in riding mountain bikes, though I suppose that depends on how fast one tends to ride. I like to go fast...

And yes, I know my ss is dirty. I'm usually much more fussy about my bikes that the pic may suggest.

View attachment 17142 v10. In the process of putting on new brakes and getting it ready for sale.

View attachment 17143 vpfree that I built up last summer. nice ride but I just don't use it...

View attachment 17144 When I'm feeling strong, this is a super fun ride.

View attachment 17145 The nomad is pretty much my main ride these days.

I'm a bit of a santa cruz junky. Though my vpfree is on the block to be sold now and the v10 will be shortly. I'm just not racing any longer so don't need such long travel bikes.

The one bike missing from the set is a gary fisher 293.

I think there's plenty of risk in riding mountain bikes, though I suppose that depends on how fast one tends to ride. I like to go fast...

And yes, I know my ss is dirty. I'm usually much more fussy about my bikes that the pic may suggest.

View attachment 17142 v10. In the process of putting on new brakes and getting it ready for sale.

View attachment 17143 vpfree that I built up last summer. nice ride but I just don't use it...

View attachment 17144 When I'm feeling strong, this is a super fun ride.

View attachment 17145 The nomad is pretty much my main ride these days.

Ya got some pretty plush rides there...... Sweet bikes man :thumbup:

I don't know anything about this stuff but it looks like you guys do.

I'm looking into three bikes now and they all seem the sameish to my noob eyes.

I'm looking at the

Specialized Rockhopper pro disc

Giant XTC 1

and the Norco Charger.

for the price I think the Giant one is better but I have no idea what is better than what when it comes to the parts

Thanks!

I don't really have the knowledge you are looking for but as a quick responce I would say either Giant or Specialized if parts is a main concern. As far as quality of bike go to the link below and read reviews of people who actually own each of the bikes you are looking at. Good luck on your purchase!

Mountain bike product reviews forums classifieds trails

thanks. thats the problem. you look at the bikes and compare parts and as they come OEM most carry the same type of parts at each price point. and when they are different I have no idea what is better than something else.

guess I'll just buy the most expensive one :)

thanks. thats the problem. you look at the bikes and compare parts and as they come OEM most carry the same type of parts at each price point. and when they are different I have no idea what is better than something else.

guess I'll just buy the most expensive one :)

Go RIDE the bikes in which you're interested. And find a shop that'll let you take it out for more than just a few times around their parking lot.

Ride the bikes long enough to see how you fit on them. This will take at least about twenty minutes to find out. You'll want to know if the saddle on the bike fits your sit bones. You'll want to know if the stem is long enough/too short. If the bikes have different brands of controls, basically shimano or sram, use the controls and see which ones you prefer.

If you're buying a bike in a particular price range, and the bikes are all from a "big name" such as Giant, Specialized, Trek, Fisher, Iron Horse, etc. vs. a highter-end or hand-built shop such as Intense, Santa Cruz, Vanilla, Spot, Sycip, etc., then you're comparing apples to apples and it will pretty much come down to what you prefer, as far as controls are concerned, and what fits you best.

If you were to compare a bike from the former group with one from the latter, the comparison wouldn't be on the same terms -- apples to oranges. You'd be paying for a more expensive frame set from the latter group, which would skew the comparison.

A good, local shop will employ people who ride. A knowledgeable sales person will not just put you on a bike and that's that. They'll take the time to talk to and measure you and find the correct size bike. And a really good shop will also work with you as far as trading out things such as saddles and stems to get the bike to fit YOU, not the other way around.

Find a local shop that has a good vibe, that doesn't make you feel pressured. This will pay off not only in your selecting and buying experience, but after the sale, too. When you need something done, there's nothing like getting treated like a "regular" by the folks at a local shop.

One of the problems with reading the reviews on MTBR.com is that they're written by a range of riders. The newer riders are unlikely to have experience on other bikes such that they really can't offer much in terms of a comparison. Then the older riders may have experience on different bikes but then they've also got biases. It's tough to sift through them and get anything even remotely approaching "objectivity" or the like. So definitely turn on your bs filter as you peruse the bike reviews. Don't get me wrong, I frequently use MTBR for info, but I just tend to take things with a grain of salt.

My ride, which I don't get out on much these days - which is a crime as I live a stone's throw from the Alps!

Go RIDE the bikes in which you're interested. And find a shop that'll let you take it out for more than just a few times around their parking lot.

Ride the bikes long enough to see how you fit on them. This will take at least about twenty minutes to find out. You'll want to know if the saddle on the bike fits your sit bones. You'll want to know if the stem is long enough/too short. If the bikes have different brands of controls, basically shimano or sram, use the controls and see which ones you prefer.

If you're buying a bike in a particular price range, and the bikes are all from a "big name" such as Giant, Specialized, Trek, Fisher, Iron Horse, etc. vs. a highter-end or hand-built shop such as Intense, Santa Cruz, Vanilla, Spot, Sycip, etc., then you're comparing apples to apples and it will pretty much come down to what you prefer, as far as controls are concerned, and what fits you best.

If you were to compare a bike from the former group with one from the latter, the comparison wouldn't be on the same terms -- apples to oranges. You'd be paying for a more expensive frame set from the latter group, which would skew the comparison.

A good, local shop will employ people who ride. A knowledgeable sales person will not just put you on a bike and that's that. They'll take the time to talk to and measure you and find the correct size bike. And a really good shop will also work with you as far as trading out things such as saddles and stems to get the bike to fit YOU, not the other way around.

Find a local shop that has a good vibe, that doesn't make you feel pressured. This will pay off not only in your selecting and buying experience, but after the sale, too. When you need something done, there's nothing like getting treated like a "regular" by the folks at a local shop.

One of the problems with reading the reviews on MTBR.com is that they're written by a range of riders. The newer riders are unlikely to have experience on other bikes such that they really can't offer much in terms of a comparison. Then the older riders may have experience on different bikes but then they've also got biases. It's tough to sift through them and get anything even remotely approaching "objectivity" or the like. So definitely turn on your bs filter as you peruse the bike reviews. Don't get me wrong, I frequently use MTBR for info, but I just tend to take things with a grain of salt.

You said it well my friend.... Locals shops (with a good rep) are the way to go for info. Reading reviews of others who post on MTBR has a wide range of opinions to "Hey I love it" to "It's junk and it's trash and don't waste your money"

Back