Hospitalized Since monday due to Guy in F150 cutting me off..

RavenFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well Erik,

Consider yourself lucky because some 22 year old on his motorcycle wasn't so lucky after he hit a, well you guessed, a F-150 pickup.

Motorcyclist killed Wednesday identified - News - ReviewJournal.com

Holy crap.. He laid down the bike and hit the tow hitch! Man.. thats horrible..

Recovery has been slow, and ive just been doing what I can to stay in shape and healthy. Its just that theres no immediate results with this stuff.

But Im glad it wasnt worse then it was!

Unfortunately the guy in the F150 in my situation had only minimum coverage, which is not even enough to cover half of my $50,000 dollar medical bill..
And getting a lawyer to go after the driver for compensation would more then likely just a waste of more money that I dont have, since this red neck guy was driving around a beat up old 1984 F150, and probably does not have too much to his name. That leaves him more then likely not able to pay too much of any settlement that would be worked out, and it would be just a big waste of time.
And we all know that the lawyer would make sure he got his share of it first. So I'll end up further screwed out of cash as it is.

As of right now, I have to come up with $30,000 to pay for the rest of the cost of my treatment while being out of work for a minimum of 2 months and I was not even at fault at all for the accident. There wont be any money I'd get from his insurance or anything like that for how this will impact me for the rest of my life, how this screws up my plans for the next 2 months and how much of a general pain in the ass this whole thing is because the insurance is already maxed out on the medical bill and the insurance company can not be held responsible to pay for anything over what the other drivers policy covers.

To put icing on the cake,
It looks like the doctor that did the surgery did not do the operation correctly as the screw that he used was too long and is sticking out the other side of my bone about 3/8ths of an inch and is screwing up the muscles back there. This leaves the whole calf really painful to touch or move, and started a day after I left the hospital and only got worse. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to see the xrays until after I was home from the hospital.
That doctors office has done very little to fix the situation other then tell me that they can remove the screw after the bone heals if its still bugging me. The bone is gunna take 2 months to heal and by then, damage to the tissue will already be done.

When I went to see the doctor about it last tuesday, he was on vacation so I met with his assistant, who for the most part was absolutely useless. All she did when I asked her questions about the xrays I saw, was give me the normal run around she always does and pretty much just fed me BS about removing the screw later on and how it shouldnt bother me. She didnt even acknowledge the screw until I had to grab the xray and point out to her that there was simply no bone matter around the end of the screw that was sticking out.

Luckily my uncle owns a machine shop and builds orthopedic and aerospace prototypes. His main customer is Stryker Orthopedics, and produces/develops many of these products and he has a very close relationship with them. He had me send them the xrays and hes having the engineers over there take a look to see how much stuff this doctor did wrong since in many cases these engineers have a better understanding of how these products are supposed to work then the doctors do.

From what I understand so far, the doctor only used that 1 screw to anchor the rod to the bone which is not going to hold the bottom part of the bone to the rod.
He said the doctor was relying on friction to hold the bottom piece on there which is definately not what should be done, there should have been atleast 3 more screws used. There are a few other concerns we have with the length of the rod he used which will possibly give me joint trouble in the future aswell..

I did question the doctor prior to surgery about how everything would be done and what he said he was gunna do was quite different to what was done from what I can see.

I dunno why i got stuck with this doctor but my next appointment is this tuesday.. and I already made sure he would be there. I have a bunch of questions that I will be asking him and if I get another stupid response Ill be sure to take him to court about this.
Im not gunna let him do a half ass job on my leg and then get stuck losing my ass to pay for the huge bill that was run up by it.

So we'll see how it plays out. Ill need to get a second opinion from another surgeon and all of that, but i think its great to have the engineers at Stryker take a close look at this aswell. More ammo for this fight cant hurt..

Below I have some other xrays I had the doctors office take last tuesday when I went to ask about the screw and the pain in my calf. They said they are unable to send me a digital copy of the xrays and could only give me a copy printed on paper, which I thought was ridiculous.. So i had to scan these.. hence the quality.

They took the xrays at a weird angle and they dont show the screw coming out as much as it really is, and the reason for that is because the bone is triangle shaped. They put the screw in from the top on an angle and its coming out of the other side of the tirangular bone on an angle. Since you cant see that angle of the bone, it just looks like its sticking out just a little ways, when its really sticking out of the bottom a decent ammount.
tibiapostopview1.jpg

Another view of the rod.
tibiapostopview2.jpg

Not exactly how I wanted to spend my time as a newly aged 21 year old, but I'll get through it.

Thanks again for the support and I'll be sure to answer any questions you guys have.

Later on!

- Sorry if a lot of this message is difficult to understand. They have me on a fair ammount of pain medication..

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap.. He laid down the bike and hit the tow hitch! Man.. thats horrible..

Recovery has been slow, and ive just been doing what I can to stay in shape and healthy. Its just that theres no immediate results with this stuff.

But Im glad it wasnt worse then it was!

Unfortunately the guy in the F150 in my situation had only minimum coverage, which is not even enough to cover half of my $50,000 dollar medical bill..
And getting a lawyer to go after the driver for compensation would more then likely just a waste of more money that I dont have, since this red neck guy was driving around a beat up old 1984 F150, and probably does not have too much to his name. That leaves him more then likely not able to pay too much of any settlement that would be worked out, and it would be just a big waste of time.
And we all know that the lawyer would make sure he got his share of it first. So I'll end up further screwed out of cash as it is.

As of right now, I have to come up with $30,000 to pay for the rest of the cost of my treatment while being out of work for a minimum of 2 months and I was not even at fault at all for the accident. There wont be any money I'd get from his insurance or anything like that for how this will impact me for the rest of my life, how this screws up my plans for the next 2 months and how much of a general pain in the ass this whole thing is because the insurance is already maxed out on the medical bill and the insurance company can not be held responsible to pay for anything over what the other drivers policy covers.

In all honesty, I would still consider contacting an attorney and discussing the situation with them and get a feel for how much it'd cost you versus how much you stand to benefit from it. As you said, you did nothing wrong, and shouldn't have to pay for it more than you already have.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a classic case, RavenFZ6 unfortunately, carrying underinsured or non-insured motorist insurance pays off?

I have it up to 50K.

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Good Morning Everyone,
Wow I am amazed at how many people have responded. I want you guys to know that it is an awesome feeling to have the all of the support that I have gotten from this Great Community!

Its crazy reading about how many other people have gone through simmilar circumstances and had been faced with situations caused by other drivers on the road who are not as alert as they should be while operating vehicles that have 5-10 times more mass then our bikes.

You all have shared great stories, and have given me great advice from your experience dealing with similar situations, and I am truely thankful for all of it. :thumbup:

So yeah now for an update:

Physical Therapy tried to get me back on the crutches to hobble around again, and we kinda did it.. But even while doped up on percoset and morphine, the pain was still unbearable. And no one could understand why it was that bad.

That was until I found the answer late last night. Typically they dont change the dressings that they wrap my leg in after surgery. But mine had been saturated in all this orangey/yellow/red fluid that was oozeing out of my leg.. so inorder to keep it clean I had them change it that night since it hadn't been changed since wednesday even though they werent planning to have it done till tomorrow.

The nurse removed the wrapping that went from the top of my knee down to my toes and removed all of the cloth that was sticking to my leg..
Sorry if you guys are eating while reading this! haha

After everything was out of the way, I saw my ankle... The thing is inflated like a balloon, and is severely swollen. No wonder why it hurt to walk on it. It must have gotten real screwed up during the accident aswell.

There was no way for me to know that my ankle was in that condition, because when I first arrived at the hospital, my leg was obviously broken and they immediatly put it in a splint which immobilised my leg from the knee down.
That splint never came off until surgery till wednesday, which was after i was put to sleep with anesthetic.
Why the doctors didnt take note that my ankle looked like a balloon? I have no idea. But what they did do was advise the physical therapy team to get me on my feet with the crutches yesterday morning and afternoon.

Im no doctor but putting weight on a swollen ankle doesnt seem like the way to get it better.
Unfortunately there was no way for me to find out about it till now.
The docs should have picked up on it on wednesday though when they had the splint off, or better yet, before then.

So yesterday was definately interesting, and left me kind of annoyed that they didnt catch this sooner. This morning one of the surgeons assistants from wednesday came by and I let her know what I found and explained the reason why it was so painfull to get on the crutches during physical therapy.

So xrays for my ankle have been ordered and we'll just have to wait and see what they find this time. :rolleyes:

Ill let you guys know what happens and where this whole thing goes, and once again thank you all for your support!!

Do *NOT* stay upright or put weight on it no matter WHAT the therapists tell you. You have a rod in your leg, being upwards will pull on that rod before your leg is strong enough to support having the screws pulled. Your therapists are morons, my doctors could not stress ENOUGH that I was to remain horizontal and elevate my foot. The swelling is normal, I have pics of my leg (leg was literally snapped in half at a right ankle, got a rod just like you) and it was swollen to at LEAST twice the size. Also had the fluid come out. I had stitches + stapled, getting those taken out was fun.

Anyways, no matter what the therapists say, stay OFF of it. YOU will know when you are ready to try and move around. I could not bear being upright for more than 30-60 seconds until at least 2 months into healing, and I wasn't able to reliable crutch around for more than half an hour for another month after that. You have put your leg through MAJOR trauma, this is not a "walk it off" situation, you need to be prepared to be a bum for the next 6 months of your life.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sucks about the other guy.. i would still contact a llawyer as well.. just to see what it is you are entitled too. just cuz the guz has a pos truck, doesnt mean he still isnt responsible for what he did. even if he has to make payments the rest of his life to you, i would still go for it considering how much he took away. you should not be responsible for the errors of others. hope you feel better man.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry this happened but it could have been much worse. There was someone watching over you that day!

The only time my bike has been down was because of...you guessed it...a pickup truck that wasn't paying attention at an intersection...fortunately he didn't hit me but came within inches and I escaped with a sprained wrist and a fairing needing touch up paint.

After my incident I became SUPER aware at every intersection and assume every oncoming or side street traffic will pull right in front of me. 3 years later and no close calls since...being paranoid when riding is a good thing! The pickup trucks really ARE trying to kill us.

The larger the vehicle the less likely the driver is to look twice before pulling out into an intersection. I never have a problem with small cars or sport cars doing that to me, only trucks and SUV's.

Get back in the saddle and let this be a life lesson to you. Speedy recovery my friend.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I really don't understand at all why one would insert a screw, especially through a bone, that extends out more than necessary. Just the other day, I made a special trip to find/purchase shorter length nails because who wants nail ends that come out and pose a hazard? In your case, a screw end mashing into muscle matter? Didn't the surgeon have a shorter length screw lying around? Gawd, I don't know who I would be more mad at: the F150 driver or the surgeon. I apologize if I'm completely wrong about the screw business---I'm just shooting my mouth off as a garage handyman, DIY type of perspective. Mabye the muscle just adapts to it...

Last edited:

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Wow, I really don't understand at all why one would insert a screw, especially through a bone, that extends out more than necessary. Just the other day, I made a special trip to find/purchase shorter length nails because who wants nail ends that come out and pose a hazard? In your case, a screw end mashing into muscle matter? Didn't the surgeon have a shorter length screw lying around? Gawd, I don't know who I would be more mad at: the F150 driver or the surgeon. I apologize if I'm completely wrong about the screw business---I'm just shooting my mouth off as a garage handyman, DIY type of perspective. Mabye the muscle just adapts to it...

Random **** happens during spur-of-the-moment surgeries. My leg was at a right angle, literally dangling, and the first hospital I was brought to just... didn't have any surgeons on call that night. The ****? Anyways, two hospitals later, they finally found a HAND doctor to operate on my leg. Needless to say I still experience tremendous pain, cannot do any heavy lifting (my knee goes out, although the break was down by the ankle), and I have no feeling in three places on the leg and from the ankle down. I also have a VERY large lump on my shin where the surgeon put the two bones together at sort of a triangle rather than in a straight line, which will most likely cause severe back problems... one thing changing in your posture goes up to the knee, then the hip, then the back, etc. I have pictures somewhere, I'll try to find them, you can literally see the bump in the xray and how the bones aren't straight.

Put your hands in front of you and touch your pointer fingers together so they are in a straight line - that's how the bone should be, with the rod inside of it holding it there while it heals. Now with your fingers straight, pull your wrists in towards eachother just a tiny bit and you'll see how it angles up towards where the break was. You can literally see that "point" sticking out of my leg... and if I walk into a cabinet or something and hit it, I'm literally just smashing into my bone. It's fantastic!

I'm 22 so I haven't done anything about it. I brought it up several times with my surgeon and was told "the body will absorb the excess bone over time". I actually skipped my final appointment with him because I was sick of paying him more money after a $20,000 surgery to tell me "lol you moron i'm a doctor that ****'s fine ok". Wish I knew what to do about it.

Anyways, yeah, moral of the story - if you think something's wrong, something is probably wrong. It's your body, you can tell if something isn't right. The doctor isn't going to say "You know what? You're right! I ****ed up!" so you need to get a second opinion on your own if you want to avoid more bull**** down the road.