Moving to The Hague and taking the FZ6 with me!!!

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just found out I will be moving to The Hague next summer. I also found out that work will pay to ship the FZ6!!! Sweet. :rockon: So, how is riding in The Hague and Netherlands in general?

lowell

Nothing in moderation.
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll love it! I traveled there for a shoot this summer. I was in the area of The Hague. Super nice. We didn't make into The Hague proper but Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities ever. Imagine that :smoking::iconbeer:;) Great people. Beautiful architecture. The canals are stunning. The countryside is very scenic. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm jealous. Have fun. Whatever you do, don't get drunk in Amsterdam. Too many temptations.

Lowell

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That mean you won't be that far from Assen! TT.... Lucky you... Have some Leffe Brin for me... :BLAA:

One more thing... Autobahn! Not too far either.

At probably $8.00 a gal... your cycle will be your best friend!:rockon:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
So you're going to import your bike? Good luck with that...more hoops to jump through than you'd find at a dog agility trial. Be prepared for expense, paperwork and having to change various bits on your bike.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just found out I will be moving to The Hague next summer. I also found out that work will pay to ship the FZ6!!! Sweet. :rockon: So, how is riding in The Hague and Netherlands in general?

It's great to hear that your employer will be paying for it :cheer:

Well as we spoke about before the only really twisty roads are on the dike roads. south east Netherlands (Limburg) has some nice rolling hills. Germany is a couple of hours ride away and they have some really nice riding roads. The Belgium Ardennes are really pretty but (in my experience) the road surfaces are worse than those in Germany and Holland.

If you go to GPStracks and select "auto & motorroutes" then select a country: Nederland (Netherlands), Belgie (Belgium), Duitsland (Germany), Frankrijk (France) or Overig (others). You will then see a map of the country, if you click on the route (text next to dot) you can then choose to view the route in Google maps or Google earth or you can download route. Not all the routes are as good as others but it gives you an idea :thumbup:

I'm not sure about importing your bike, I'm not sure how long you can keep it here without importing it, when I moved to Holland from the UK I was allowed 6 months before I had to import my car but that was more than 15 years ago now :eek: I also had to have it insured via a UK insurer (as it was registered there).

Congrats on the new job, hope you have a great time here

:rockon:

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty sweet man. I'd love to work in western Europe

What do you do if you don't mind my asking?

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. next question. Does Europe recognize Snell or DOT rated helmets or do I need to get one that is also ECE certified?

Thanks

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
So you're going to import your bike? Good luck with that...more hoops to jump through than you'd find at a dog agility trial. Be prepared for expense, paperwork and having to change various bits on your bike.

Yeah, importing cars/bikes, even on a temporary basis is a PITA. Have to make sure things comply with local standards (reflectors, speedo, etc, etc). And then you have to reimport it back to the US upon repatriation as most places won't allow you to sell it there since it came in on a temporary basis. OP may want to reconsider if this is really the way to go. Shipping is the easy part, getting it all on road legal is the harder part. It would be far easier to buy a good used bike there, use it, and then sell it upon leaving.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
You can ride your bike on foreign plates for 6 months. After that you need to register it on Dutch plates. Foreigners from the continent generally don't bother to comply with that rule, as in practice it's really hard to check when and how long the vehicle has been in the country. But as your bike will be entering through customs in the harbour that will be easier to check.

IIRC you don't have to pay the BPM vehicle tax if your bike has been registered for more than a year abroad and provided you don't sell it within 6 months. So that mostly leaves the compliance. Which I guess shouldn't be to much of a problem considering it's a modern bike.

RDW (vehicle registration): International Visitor
Tax:
Tax Administration

Hope that gets your started :D

And when you want to learn some Dutch:
Learn the Dutch Language

Good Luck :D