My first proper bike weekend!

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
CAF26BC0-C678-408D-ADDD-FB03810302DF.jpg

I've got tickets for that ^ for me and the Mrs. Anyone else going?

It's going to be the first time I take the Mrs (or anyone else for that matter) as pillion. Does anyone have any advice? We're going to drop the kit off in the car and then ride up together on the bike, so it'll just be us on the bike, instead of a full touring load! Lol. Between the two of us, it'll be just short of 200kg, any recommendations on suspension settings? With just me (98kg) 3 has been comfortable, would 6 do for two of us, or all the way to 7? Other than that, obviously I'll be taking it easy.

As a side note, do you reckon there's been enough rain yet to clear most of the salt from the roads? I had the bike treated in November was advised to water wash only to preserve the coating. I'm absolutely itching to get stuck in with some bike shampoo and polish, but don't want to expose the bike to salt unnecessarily. Maybe I'll leave it another month.

Cheers,
Ian

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Ian, you have tons of time left to practice fully geared two up riding with Mrs to sort out the suspension settings and also get used to each other.
The pillion has the ability to control wherever the bike goes if they take it up on themselves. This is caused by them either counter steering the rear by applying pressure through the pegs. Or by leaning to far back or inappropriately leaning when you are not ready.
When I first took pillions I liked them close to me and to hold onto me as I knew where they were. Now I don't mind if they hold me or the grabrail.
My point is that you both need to practice to get the most out of the experience.
Work out what input you want from her and how you want it given.
My wife would squeeze me with her thighs to tell me things. 1 okay I'm happy at this pace. 2 Take it easier and 3 I need to pee in something that isn't a bush. If we needed to stop to talk two taps on the back of the helmet. Plan your stops enroute with her so you both know when coffee is coming.
The bike will take much longer to stop, and be trickier to pull away from a standstill. You will also notice that front end dive and jerky clutch control will cause bumping of lids.
Once underway clutchless shifting up really reduces head bumping.

Good luck post pictures

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
oh this is the fun part :D

Be aware of low gear changes, she will have a tendency to bump the back of your helmet with hers (not as enjoyable as it sounds) due to the clunky FZ box (mostly).

The rest is as Nelly has said, get her to lean with you and you won't go far wrong. I have a top box for mine with optional back rest, she's never used it but it served well at the start as a subconscious safety item.

PS, tell her that if she must fidget, then do it at speeds over 20mph, below this you'll find it becomes annoying as you attempt to steady the bike. ;)

PPS, I'd expect salt on the roads until at least the end of March minimum. Out of curiosity, what have you had it treated with?

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
PPS, I'd expect salt on the roads until at least the end of March minimum. Out of curiosity, what have you had it treated with?

Yeah, I was getting all hopeful, started to get some bits and pieces together for polishing the headers, getting in all the nooks and crannies, then I got a shovel load of salt in the face from a gritter going the other way on Sunday night. Even took the car to work today as it was the first properly settled snow I'd seen all winter!

I've had it treated with ACF50, by the guys at all year biker. They do it through a high pressure mist, so everything is coated properly, not just the bits you can get to with a rag or spray can. The only. Problem is, the more you clean, the less coating there is! So they recommend cold water wash downs and wet sponges only to preserve it. Once the roads are clean(ish), just regular cleaning will be fine. It's just having that patience! Lol

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
ah right, I've just been giving mine a hose down after a salt ridden ride then weekly washes, your solution sounds much easier!