My first ride to work today! :)

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I was a bit of a bundle of nerves, but I rode my bike to work today for the first time. I'm sure it's no biggie to most of you, but, being a newbie, I was a little intimidated at venturing out in 20 miles of traffic, and crossing the Mississippi River on a busy bridge. I did fine, watched the cagers like a hawk, and kept reminding myself to own my lane and get ready to swerve if needed. Now that it's nearly time to go back home, the butterflies are getting active in my stomach again. :eek:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's nothing makes a Friday better than riding to work! Unless, of course, you can take the day off and just RIDE!

Just stay alert and enjoy, it gets easier!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you. Enjoy the gas savings.

Keep doing it and it'll get easier.

I find it a lot more fun to ride to work than drive. I hope you find the same.

Stay safe.

Dennis

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! A little bit of awareness (butterflies) is not an entirely bad thing -- just keep owning that lane. Pretend that they don't see you, and further imagine that if they do see you, they don't like you. Grrrrr.

You picked a heck of a day for a first commute. Friday around my neck of the woods it's a total zoo on the roads. Stay big, bold, and aware. Double grrr.

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Elizabeth, I know the nervous/anxious feeling first time to work. By the time I got to work, you would think I just did some 250 mile trip hehe.

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
Its a pretty cool feeling, eh? Aside from the butterflies, here's hoping the sense of adventure never fades.

Now that I'm a dedicated telecommuter, there are times I genuinely miss the process of suiting up and riding into the office.

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
Once you get over the nerves and commute on the bike more, you will realize that you won't want to go back to the cage. I find that riding the bike to work lets me get the juices flowing to start the workday, but also takes my mind off of work at the end of the day. :thumbup:

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you!:cheer:

I ride to work as often as possible, it's a great way to start the day. I actually don't mind getting out of bed in the morning when I know i am going to ride in!:thumbup:

Enjoy!:rockon:

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
AHH, I remember that feeling! Also, cuddos to you on riding in st. louis I was there for work last year and the drivers can be very impatient. :thumbup::thumbup:

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride to work everyday it makes going to and from work more enjoyable. I even work a little over time just so the traffic will be lighter. Good Job :thumbup:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! It won't be long now and you'll start ripp'n a wheelie, doing some stoppies, throwing your feet over the bars.....J/K J/K

Enjoy and be safe:cheer:

ATGATT

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats!

The butterflies are an indication that you know the risk. Your confidence will build and the butterflies will be gone.

Enjoy it! It only gets better.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
THANKS to all of you! :) I felt a bit silly posting this thread, after seeing people taking 1000+ mile trips, but this really was a big step for me. I appreciate all the kind words. You guys are awesome,and I feel very lucky that I decided on the FZ6, and ended up with a great group of people to share with, too!! :D

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
:cheer:Glad you did it Beth, its so nice leaving work on the bike and on a Friday pure JOY!! Now that you are venturing out on your own you will have to met me at my house sometime when we ride and you can meet my wife and kids.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
:cheer:Glad you did it Beth, its so nice leaving work on the bike and on a Friday pure JOY!! Now that you are venturing out on your own you will have to met me at my house sometime when we ride and you can meet my wife and kids.

Hey, I owe you and Nick for those 100+ mile rides!! That's what got me there! :thumbup: It was very nice being "cageless" today. I'd love to meet your wife and kids. PM me with your free time.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not worried you now, but in a few months when you get comfortable in traffic, you gotta remember to re educate your self on the stupidity of cagers, because you will forget and become complacant.:rockon:

SpeedRock

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride to work everyday it makes going to and from work more enjoyable. I even work a little over time just so the traffic will be lighter. Good Job :thumbup:

my boss loves the fact that I ride to work every day because I get there earlier and leave late to avoid traffic so I get more work done.