My first ride with supersports

D

Dave.TX

Went on a good ride through the Texas Hill Country today. Mine was the only bike less than 1000 cc's. Kawasaki Concours 1400, Aprilia Tuono 1000R, Honda CBR1000RR (two of them), Suzuki GSXR 1000... needless to say there were some times when they rode away from me. The guy on the Concours hung back but as I picked up speed later on he stayed with me. This was the first ride I've done with no cruisers/Harley's included. It was pretty fast at times and that was a lot of fun!

We basically started near Oak Hill, rode up Hwy 71 to Hamilton Pool Rd. Took that to Round Mountain. Went south then SW to Stonewall where we ate lunch. From there to Blanco. Went through Wimberly, Driftwood and Bear Creek on the way to south Austin again. Kind of the same roads I went on a week ago with my buddy Dana and his Harley, just this time I didn't do as much sightseeing as the speed was increased.

I needed this trip, it was good therapy! :thumbup: I'll hopefully be hooking up with some more of these guys next week. We all organized the ride through Meetup.com and the Austin Sportbike Riders group. It was the first time I've ridden with them and had a blast! No pictures, sorry everybody. Had too much fun to think about pictures... :D

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a whole different mindset riding w/ Sportbikes as opposed to Cruisers on the FZ6. Glad you had fun! Your next ride with cruisers will seem boring!:D

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Its refreshing to be with a group of sportbikes when you get to drive a bike through the corners and not go 40 for most of the trip! :thumbup:

D

Dave.TX

It's a whole different mindset riding w/ Sportbikes as opposed to Cruisers on the FZ6. Glad you had fun! Your next ride with cruisers will seem boring!:D

I know! Had a taste of that when we ran up to some cruisers (both Harley's) that seemed like they were crawling... :rolleyes: it was agonizing. I looked at the speed and realized it was the same speed I had been riding with the other cruisers the past couple of weeks. They didn't pull over or anything to allow a pass, just kept looking in their mirrors. It was a windy road with no safe passing zones (except the liter bikes had no problem passing). I hung back for a while until it was safe to pass. Those two guys were using up the entire lane on their own, it's no wonder they're called "hogs".

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 isn't that slow, you can surprise some of the guys on bigger bikes with it, just keep the engine singing :)

D

Dave.TX

Most of them were a lot more aggressive in their riding style and passing opportunities. I tend to be more defensive and play it on the safe side. We caught up to them at the next intersection/road change as they waited for us so no worries. No one complained and at the end of the ride we all enjoyed the day. That's what it's all about. In the beginning we had said to ride within your means and they knew I was a newer rider. No worries. Funny, it wasn't until lunchtime that they learned I'm a cop. As for the speeds, I asked if it had made any difference from the start knowing I'm a cop and the answer was "no". Heck, even I went over the speed limit a bit.:rolleyes:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 isn't that slow, you can surprise some of the guys on bigger bikes with it, just keep the engine singing :)

Especially if they arnt that experienced of riders, about a month back i was riding in north ga on georgias dragon and had rode this one stretch about 15 times just playing around woring on my skills and what not and got into a "dog fight" with a r1 and a zx6rr once i passed them it was over. There wernt many straights but on the few that were there i would glance in my mirror and see the r1 coming up quick but since i pretty much had the road memorized by that point i was able to brake way later then him and take the turns faster. When we got to the top of the hill we stoped he asked me what kind of bike it was and i told him a fz6 his jaw pretty much hit the floor.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Especially if they arnt that experienced of riders, about a month back i was riding in north ga on georgias dragon and had rode this one stretch about 15 times just playing around woring on my skills and what not and got into a "dog fight" with a r1 and a zx6rr once i passed them it was over. There wernt many straights but on the few that were there i would glance in my mirror and see the r1 coming up quick but since i pretty much had the road memorized by that point i was able to brake way later then him and take the turns faster. When we got to the top of the hill we stoped he asked me what kind of bike it was and i told him a fz6 his jaw pretty much hit the floor.

The FZ6 is a great bike and it has everything you need to make your heart pound fast and hard! LOL! :rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a great bike and it has everything you need to make your heart pound fast and hard! LOL! :rockon:

Indeed it is....thats one of the reasons why i dont get why people talk about upgrading the suspension to more of a sporty setup, imo unless your able to grind the pegs into a oblivion then the bike and rider are not ready to be upgraded suspension wise. But to each his own...for me its more then enough bike just the way it is